Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2005 11:52am

Style: Aikido, Boxing, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What you think?

So, my buddy and fellow aikidoka is limited in his access to the gym to Mondays and Wednesdays. We wanted to figure out a lifting routine for him on those two days. This is what I suggested to him.

Monday

Bench 4 x 6 - 10
    Pullups 4 x 6 - 10
    Military Press 4 x 6 - 10
    T-bar Rows 4 x 6 - 10
    Dips 4 x 8 - 12
    Bicep curls 4 x 8 - 12

Wednesday

Squats 4 x 6 - 10
    Romanian DL's4 x 6 - 10
    Lunges 4 x 6 - 10
    Ham curls4 x 6 - 10
    Seated Calve Raises 4 x 8 - 12
    Standing Calve Raises 4 x 8 - 12
    Shrugs 4 x 10 - 15

Friday

BW conditioning ala scrapper or something similar.

What do you think about this? His goals are to gain muscle mass and some strength.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    2/08/2005 12:21pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like it.

I prefer a standard DL to Romanian, but it's all about personal preference. Lose the Bicep curls, and add chin ups with your pull ups. Curls are such a one-dimensional exercise, you spend time working only one small muscle when a chin-up/pull up works bis and back. More bang for your buck, as it were. Same thing with the seated calf raise..you are already doing standing ones, use the time to work large muscle groups. The isolation stuff is for bodybuilders...stick with gross motor lifts for strength gains

good stuff..
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    2/08/2005 12:30pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why two types of calf raises? No need.
    Not bad, tell him to eat a lot and also eat lots of good food if he wants to grow.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2005 6:23pm

Style: Aikido, Boxing, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear you on the calve raises. Do you think one can still do chins after doing those sets of pullups? I know after the T-bar rows and Pull ups my bi's couldn't handle chins as well. I don't know about his. I also put romanian DL's in there as opposed to regulars, as i don't know if his legs could handle full DL's after heavy squats.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    2/08/2005 6:47pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have him alternate chins and pulls for 4 sets. One set chins, next set pulls, etc. You want to work as many muscles as possible at a time. This stimulates max muscle growth.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

Loving Father

Posted On:
    2/08/2005 7:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BAH!
    PUNY HUMANS!!!
    HULK say onee need tree x-ercize. . .
    bench
    bent-over rows
    squats or deadlifts

what need more for?
    need to intensify aikido training to make sure muscles dont get in way of flow, an to maintain suppleness.

Stoopid Humans!
    BAH!

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    2/08/2005 10:29pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you've been reading my training log again....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2005 11:13pm

Style: Kouhiijitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to be an asshole, sorry. :)

I'm with the above; ditch the curls, or replace them with cable curls, which give you consistent resistance throughout the movement, but still force you to use your stabilizing muscles.

If you're going to do isolates, do both curls and tricep pulldowns.

Bench and Dips work the same muscles; do one or the other, or alternate every week. I'd also recommend a 3x6xHEAVY approach.

Ditch the T-Bar rows for Bent-Over rows; the T-Bar forces your shoulder into an unnatural range of movement, and you risk damaging your rotators.

As for legs, I'm going to take a page from Keinharr, and say that if you can do Squats *and* Romanian Deadlifts on the same day, you aren't working with enough intensity -- straight-legged is another game entirely. I'd switch off every week between Squats and RDLs (I've changed my program to do just that).

Ham Curls and DLs are redundant. So are lunges and squats. Ditch the calf raises entirely, and just add in some jumprope.

I don't see anything for rotators or abs, either; add in plate or dumbbell raises, and some incline situps. Also, some type of explosive cardio. I recently stopped doing long-distance runs, and started doing interval training (like sprinters do), and I get a better workout in half the time. Jumprope is great, sparring is double-plus great, and sprinting is just dandy, but it's always good to mix it up with some swimming, cycling, and so on.

Of course, adequate rest and proper food are also important.

Okay, that's just my two cents. :)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2005 11:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Akurra,

My main mang. You got beeg, BEEG CAJONES!

Redundancy=gay.

BWE=Not a different species of exercise. Those dumb little muscle fibers have no concept of the external implications of their twitching.

First of all, where the hell did this rep "range" ever come from? I'm not asking, I'm rhetoricizing. I mean, there exists a threshold at which you add weight, if your other criteria are met (form, cadence etc). If you don't meet that threshold, you don't add weight. Pick a number. You like 10? Cool. 10. Whatever.

Course, the reps mean nothing without some sort of reference to your cadence. Lifting faster makes it easier. That's what people TEND to do. They add weight, and lift faster...add weight, lift faster. No real pont of reference. Yer just robbing peter to pay paul. So, pick a cadence. You like to lift for 3 seconds, lower in 3? Fine. Just keep it standard so your weight increases mean something.

You have the right idea as far as splitting goes. It shouldn't be anymore than upper/lower. Having said that, the goal of splitting is not to sneak in more volume...but to keep you fresh for productive intensity. An unfit dude may have trouble maintaining discipline on the last exercise, if the squats already crucified him.

Now, like Ronin69 always says, most weight lifting routines don't accoutn for the fact that you're doing strenous MA. Of course, in your case that doesn't really apply. But for future reference.

Sets. Why 4? In fact, why anymore than 1 if you achieve desired intensity? You like hanging out in the gym or something?

Simplify.

Upper body push
    Upper body pull
    Lower body press
    Abs
    calf
    grip...if you're frisky.

If it doesn't smoke you, you're living the pipe dream of making up for bad quality with quantity.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    2/09/2005 1:12am

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    you've been reading my training log again....

BAH!!!

HULK SMASH SCRAPPER!!!!!!

HULK CANNOT READ!!!

I AM ORIGINAL HULK. . .
    NO STOOPID THINKING TO SLOW HULK DOWN!!

YOU WANT TO BE STRONG LIKE HULK??!!

DON'T WASTE TIME ON GURLY-BODYBUILDING-MAN LIFTS,
    LIFT LIKE HULK. . .
    JUST ONE X=ERCISDE FOR EACH MAIN BODY MASS GROUP,
    CHEST
    BACK
    LEGS

REST AN EAT!!!!

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!
    BAH, THINKING MAKE HEAD HURT!!!!
    PUNT HUMANS!!

Sincerely,

Mister "The Hulk," esq.

Last edited by Meex; 2/09/2005 1:16am at .
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast