Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 1:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by unpossible
    If I hadn't been up for a couple of days right now (before any sd peeps ask: just coffee. that stuff is all over here too, but I like having teeth!) I would ask "So when are you open? And can I purchase gloves at this establishment?"
    We meet W, F (7:00) and Sun at 3:00; Gold Medal Gymnastics, Brookings. Just hand a ralph on I-29, then L on exit 132. Go straight till you get to the banks, just a half block south.

I don't sell gloves, but I'm working with the local sports shop to order in equipment. One of the guys there is in the same Guard unit as the Cage promoter, so he's been pretty good. They have a couple-three pairs of Century on hand, but I'm not that impressed with those gloves, so I'm working with them on other suppliers.

Also trying to get them to order in some decent shin guards; we'll be working more on kicking for the next session.

I've got both training (6oz) and regular (4oz) gloves on the way via this place's amazon link, but they aren't arriving until Jan 2-Jan 16. :P
    I've got a pair of gloves for general use, you can borrow if you come up.

But I should say - you should look into the S.F. club - more spendy, but you will get more training partners of your size (plus the extra miles will eat into the cost difference.). Right now I'm the biggest guy in the club at 185, and I'm looking to drop. We have had a couple bigger guys express interest, but so far no takers.

That's kinda how it is, a lot of people like the idea of training, but to actually do it ...

And I should say what I've been telling my people - my goal for the next 6 months is to develop a 6-month, sport-specific training program. I don't want people to start who can't see it through for at least the first 10 weeks - I'll be doing fitness testing at the start and at 10 weeks to see if what I have in mind is working the way I think it should.

Kinda an experiment in training methods.

That, and my main fighter, John, is moving in July, so we want him peaking for the Cage about May and June - make sure he has some good fights before he leaves.

If you become a Bullshido supporting member, you can read my training log and get an idea of what I'm about.

For the rest of you, I think I made an offer to host a TD up here. Offer still open.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 5:28pm

Style: hackery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotajudo
    We meet W, F (7:00) and Sun at 3:00; Gold Medal Gymnastics, Brookings. Just hand a ralph on I-29, then L on exit 132. Go straight till you get to the banks, just a half block south.

I don't sell gloves, but I'm working with the local sports shop to order in equipment. One of the guys there is in the same Guard unit as the Cage promoter, so he's been pretty good. They have a couple-three pairs of Century on hand, but I'm not that impressed with those gloves, so I'm working with them on other suppliers.

Also trying to get them to order in some decent shin guards; we'll be working more on kicking for the next session.

I've got a pair of gloves for general use, you can borrow if you come up.

But I should say - you should look into the S.F. club - more spendy, but you will get more training partners of your size (plus the extra miles will eat into the cost difference.). Right now I'm the biggest guy in the club at 185, and I'm looking to drop. We have had a couple bigger guys express interest, but so far no takers.

That's kinda how it is, a lot of people like the idea of training, but to actually do it ...

And I should say what I've been telling my people - my goal for the next 6 months is to develop a 6-month, sport-specific training program. I don't want people to start who can't see it through for at least the first 10 weeks - I'll be doing fitness testing at the start and at 10 weeks to see if what I have in mind is working the way I think it should.

Kinda an experiment in training methods.

That, and my main fighter, John, is moving in July, so we want him peaking for the Cage about May and June - make sure he has some good fights before he leaves.

If you become a Bullshido supporting member, you can read my training log and get an idea of what I'm about.

For the rest of you, I think I made an offer to host a TD up here. Offer still open.
    This is all quite fantastically cool (went back and read the 'cage article' thread; wish John the best of luck for me).

I'm going to see if I can arrange to spar with the guys who are here in Sioux Falls.

I have no qualms about getting my ass handed to me with a ground of interweb people watching, but somehow competing in a cage match locally seems like something I'd only do with a ninja mask on or something.

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 6:09pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To think I thought this thread died. If you guys want to get together down in Sioux Falls, pm or e-mail me. E-mail would probably work better. I've been getting together with Walker from these boards occasionally, but it's real hard with our schedules. He's been using his AJJ and Judo to help me with my ground game, and I've been showing him some JKD style boxing (just add elbows and trapping.) I've been going to the new BBT guy in town here lately, and I'm getting to see where the other Ninjutsu teachers are teaching the techniques totally wrong. I'm single, so I don't have much for bills, and it's looking like I'll be going to the local BJJ place, steep price and all. I need to get in shape so I don't make an ass out of myself, though. Looks like their MT instructor learned from the JKD place in Minneapolis, so I'm definately going now. Later.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 6:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bad credit
    To think I thought this thread died. If you guys want to get together down in Sioux Falls, pm or e-mail me. E-mail would probably work better. I've been getting together with Walker from these boards occasionally, but it's real hard with our schedules. He's been using his AJJ and Judo to help me with my ground game, and I've been showing him some JKD style boxing (just add elbows and trapping.) I've been going to the new BBT guy in town here lately, and I'm getting to see where the other Ninjutsu teachers are teaching the techniques totally wrong. I'm single, so I don't have much for bills, and it's looking like I'll be going to the local BJJ place, steep price and all. I need to get in shape so I don't make an ass out of myself, though. Looks like their MT instructor learned from the JKD place in Minneapolis, so I'm definately going now. Later.
    It's still mostly dead; I'm just running in circles wagging my tail.

You're herr.snowberger@lycos.com?

I think I emailed you and tried to add you to msn messenger.

I have very patchy periods of availability because of my work, but I can also usually set a date and stick it if I know in advance, and if I happen to have time open (as I do in days leading up to holidays when people begin to stfu and stop calling, and then after I get back from Afton Alps in the TC at start of Jan for a couple of days) for an activity I tend to do it very intensely. I would LOVE to spar with someone/someones who can show me the ropes and so I can get a realistic assessment of where I'm at.

I'm a step away from just going to a cage event, painting "DURKA DURKA JIHAD" on my chest and "RAPE YOUR PETS" on my back and let the ass-kicking commence. Oh, and wearing a ninja mask for more power. When I get out of the hospital, I will try to write down my record, but won't be able to remember how to use a pen and will take up pottery instead.

Hop on messenger some time; I still haven't slept and it looks like I'll be working the rest of tonight.

Amateur Fighter

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 6:57am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotajudo
    I'd love to come. Seriously fellers, lets do this. I can bring some boys from Yankton. I've got shitloads of gear.See if we can set a date judo, and I'm all over it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 7:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lohff
    I'd love to come. Seriously fellers, lets do this. I can bring some boys from Yankton. I've got shitloads of gear.See if we can set a date judo, and I'm all over it.
    This sounds fucking awesome.

It would be great if we, in the northern plains, were able to get together a throwdown bigger than, say, the okie throwdown.

I vaguely remember a short bald sysadmin I used to work with talking about there being a local cage fighting scene, but like most sysadmins he's kind of militant, owns many a sword, has taken a smattering of MA in the past, etc. So I'm ashamed to say I never paid attention. I had no idea that Sioux Falls, of all places ... I mean, you know prefab houses? The prefab architecture trend? Sioux Falls is like a Prefab Town.

Let's do it soon! The "Midwest Throwdown" appears to be on for Eau Claire in early Feb; this kind of thing is local enough, informal enough and with such low communications/travel overhead (ie, you guys probably know most potential participants already) that we could maybe do it sooner? Please? :icon_boun

My ass is itchin' for a kickin'!

You guys rock. Lee, it sounds from all accounts like you're putting a ton of effort into the cage thing. Very cool.

I have a hi-8 consumer-res digital video camera and firewire ports on my computer, battery charger ... and Adobe Premier/AfterEffects; I can whip us up a highlight video when this happens.
    Last edited by unpossible; 12/24/2005 7:35am at .

Amateur Fighter

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 11:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** YES. Throw out some prospective dates Dakotajudo.

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 7:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm thinking the last week of Jan., first week of Feb.

John will be traveling until about mid Jan; I'd just as soon have him around.

The next week or two is definitely out - they're doing some work in the gym where we train (it's in between sessions for them). So that puts us closer to the next Cage show in the 21st; if we set a date shortly after that we may have some face time at the show to finalize plans, maybe pick up a couple more bodies.

Unless, Lohff, you're competing on the 21st and want a little sharpening; we could try for the 14th.

Amateur Fighter

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 8:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nope, I'm not fighting, so late January, early February would be just dandy for me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2005 1:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy crap. Just read about that cage-fighting ordinance clusterfuck.

How has that played out? :o Can you guys still not have a match in SF city limits without $1mil in insurance?

That seems like such unbelievable bullshit ... damn.
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast