Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/28/2005 2:17pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy ****, it moved to 42nd across from Scheels? I'm like under a mile from there, hell I could walk. That's awesome! But wait, 42nd st. isn't exactly right across from Scheel's. I need an address and better directions. Is there a sign? I've got errands to run today, I'll swing by over there and see if I can find it.

The last Cage event I went to was at the Expo building. There was another guy who stayed standing and worked the plum clinch and threw a lot of knees. Any idea who he is and where he learned MT around here? Or was he from out of town?

I used to do MT in JKD out in Portland, OR, so I'd be glad to spar with you. If you don't mind facing off against a 260+ lbs. fatass. Heh, my old TKD instructor here used to bitch at me all the time 'cause I wouldn't make contact when sparring him. I came home from OR and we sparred and I just Thai-kicked him twice in the legs and once in the arms and he went down. (I did outweigh him by like 60+ lbs.) He smiled and said they cured me of the "no-hitting" thing. He then whined that hitting wasn't sparring and that I shouldn't do that anymore. I got to train with my old Budo Taijutsu instructor the other day, and he said I got "Dojo-itis" back. In other words, I wouldn't punch right at him, but pull it and go to the side a little. I have to unlearn that again.

I wouldn't mind learning BJJ, even though I did similar stuff in Shooto. My ground game is weak. I'm proud of my striking and weapons work, though. The only bitch I have about BJJ is that there's little striking and weapons, which I think is really important for the "street." I also hear that BJJ doesn't do any multiple attacker training, and that they say you don't have a chance in that situation anyways. Is that true? TKD and Budo Taijutsu taught me some multiple bad guy stuff, and even though it was iffy, I have yet to see anything better from any other "RBSD" stuff like Krav Maga or anything.

Oh, I suppose if all else failed we could all pitch in and rent a cam.

Amateur Fighter

Posted On:
    7/28/2005 2:42pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That guy is my buddy Paul. I taught him what little I know, and he does real well with it. As far as directions go, you know the new Napoli Pizza place across form Scheels on Western. Action MMA, the name of the school now, is right behind there. The address is on the website at actionmma.com Pm inbound with phone number.

Posted On:
    7/28/2005 10:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I swung by, found it. It's in that mini-mall back behind China Buffet and Radio Shack and the new pizza place. Back there by where KTTW FOX TV used to be. I see on the door that there's a MT class. Cool.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    7/28/2005 11:16pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A brief digression, gents - your attention is required here.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    8/04/2005 2:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy crap, 110 bucks a month?! http://actionmma.com/index.php?optio...&id=6&Itemid=2 I talked to Aaron at one of the Cage events back while he was still teaching out of Brandon, and it was only 65 smackers a month at the time. Did adding MT and the new location spike the price?

Sorry, but that's too rich for my blood right now. Maybe when I start my new job. I'll just stick to Budo Taijutsu for now. I like weapons arts better, anyways. I haven't competed for over 2 years, but i've had to defend myself on the street a couple of times since, and on a daily basis I carry a knife and pepperspray. I guess dirty fighting is just better for my mindset. I just need to talk the guys in Taijutsu into sparring.

Professional Fighter

Posted On:
    8/14/2005 9:08pm

Style: Tai Chi & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, bad credit. Sorry I took so long to reply. I don't stop here daily. If you'd emailed me, I would have responded sooner. Yes, I live in Sioux Falls. I just had my last workout at Sioux Valley. I don't know how much they charge the blue collar crowd because my wife's a Sioux Valley employee. We're cancelling our membership this week. That was our intention all along: workout over the summer and get out of there when I go back to school at STI.

Lee, Aaron misses seeing you in class. Come back soon! I rolled with him and Fields on Thursday and had a blast, despite getting my ass handed to me on all four occasions. I wish I could afford the tuition, but feel I made a couple of friends that are far more valuable. I definitely wouldn't want to be enemies with either of them!

Amateur Fighter

Posted On:
    8/15/2005 8:32pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish I could be there too Dan. Tuition was difficult enough for me to make as it was, but when coupled with insane gas prices, and a 90 minute drive from Yankton, it became impossible. It seriously was costing 25 dollars to go to 1 class in GAS ALONE. I miss it already.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 11:47pm

Style: hackery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can not believe this.

This is amazing.

This is prayer-frickin'-answering.

This is ... people I can spar with in Sioux Falls?!? HAHAHAAHHA!

THANK YOU BULLSHIDO!!!

carcdr@gmail.com
    carcdr@gmail.com
    carcdr@gmail.com

Sorry if this is bumping an old thread, but ... god DAMN. This is crazy.

I live in Worthington. 22 years old, 6'4", 205-220lbs (fluctuates drastically month to month as I don't take great care of myself, sleep dep, but I'm 210 right now), and I've got practically no experience in fighting in any structured way. Just been in a few fights.

And I love it! But, obviously, it's not something you can just do whenever you want, and it's not safe to force it; if it happens, and the situation is JUST right, you can let it develop into a fight. (See: Fight Club, and the assignment. Most people avoid fights).

So, I have something that I love to do but rarely get to except by accident. And like any thing that I enjoy doing and want to do more of, I want to get better at it; that's a necessary goal in ANY pursuit. But I want to learn by DOING.

So, that means sparring!

I want to use this as a real motivator to get fit, in particular (although most of all, I just enjoy this kind of competition). I'm 6'4", not fat, can work from home and I'm just on the good side of ugly; also, women don't seem to care as much about muscles as they once did -- all of which means I can't rely on the fairer sex to keep me motivated to stay in/get in shape. I need something active, to BE the reason to get stronger. (I haven't watched fight club practically since it came out, although I bought the book, but a lot of the dialogue was pretty spot-on. I definitely do not have a compelling reason to get stronger, other than that I'd always rather be stronger if given a choice; I hope to make controlled fighting a REASON for physical self-improvement, to make me BETTER at something).

So, yeah, **** this is just too cool.

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 10:50am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by unpossible
    I want to use this as a real motivator to get fit, in particular (although most of all, I just enjoy this kind of competition). I'm 6'4", not fat, can work from home and I'm just on the good side of ugly; also, women don't seem to care as much about muscles as they once did -- all of which means I can't rely on the fairer sex to keep me motivated to stay in/get in shape. I need something active, to BE the reason to get stronger. (I haven't watched fight club practically since it came out, although I bought the book, but a lot of the dialogue was pretty spot-on. I definitely do not have a compelling reason to get stronger, other than that I'd always rather be stronger if given a choice; I hope to make controlled fighting a REASON for physical self-improvement, to make me BETTER at something).
    This is the kind of attitude I'm hoping to tap into, up here (Brookings).

I've started to put together a "train like a cage fighter" routine, with advertising and such - to get non-fighters into training. Maybe they'll spar eventually, maybe not. But at least get some more interest in what we do.

Basically, it's a three-day-a-week routine; sport specific conditioning and general body skills.

Partly, it comes from our recent experience in the Cage in S.F. - one of my gang lost his most recent fight, partly due to conditioning (was pretty gassed in the third round). He also got injured and couldn't train with us for 6 weeks.

So I gave him a routine to follow.

I've also got another adult student who may or may not compete in the Cage (he's still in college, working part-time to help support a wife and one year old daughter, so he has a reason to not get hurt) - but he knows I (as his coach) don't want him to compete until he can devote a minimum of three hours a week to outside conditioning.

Then I've got a girl who's interested in fighting, but won't until she can get the conditioning.

I've recently finished a grad class in exercise physiology, so I'm applying some of those ideas to the routine.

Anyway, I intend to start the next conditioning cycle in mid-January (when everybody is back for classes); at this point I'm not if I'll advertise for this one, or just count on word of mouth and work with my current group.

Note that this conditioning routine is intended to supplement our usual three day/week formal classes. If students are doing outside conditioning, I can spend more classtime on technique.

You're welcome to come up and give us a try. Right now I'm only charging dues to cover rent of the mats.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 11:42am

Style: hackery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I hadn't been up for a couple of days right now (before any sd peeps ask: just coffee. that stuff is all over here too, but I like having teeth!) I would ask "So when are you open? And can I purchase gloves at this establishment?"

But I will be crashing pretty soon, heh.

I've got both training (6oz) and regular (4oz) gloves on the way via this place's amazon link, but they aren't arriving until Jan 2-Jan 16. :P
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast