Posted On:
    1/21/2006 2:22am

Style: hackery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nate oorlog
    lmfao i look so damn retarded there thats funny sh|t thanks
    any chance u can hook it up with some of me and dustin's footage
    yeah, I knew that for a hit like that, I would have to bust out the ukelele music. and to explain the credits -- if Jesus wore what you were wearing and got punched in the head, it would look a lot like that.

I could only capture 11 seconds of the you/dusty stuff, but no one had thrown a full punch by then; the rest of that session has to wait until I can recharge the cam. i think that was the last one of the night.
    Last edited by unpossible; 1/21/2006 2:26am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2006 2:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    any chance u can hook it up with some of me and dustin's footage
    actually, I'm sticking it in the middle of my sparring session short -- in the middle part where I'm doing nothing but running away, it pauses in the part shown in the GIF a few posts above, some text says "RUN AWAY!", and then it's just a condensed bunch of cuts of me backpedaling furiously for what was close to 30 seconds in the footage -- so instead, I'm putting that clip in as an intermission, and then it returns to me running away some more.
    Last edited by unpossible; 1/21/2006 2:48am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2006 3:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by unpossible
    actually, I'm sticking it in the middle of my sparring session short -- in the middle part where I'm doing nothing but running away, it pauses in the part shown in the GIF a few posts above, some text says "RUN AWAY!", and then it's just a condensed bunch of cuts of me backpedaling furiously for what was close to 30 seconds in the footage -- so instead, I'm putting that clip in as an intermission, and then it returns to me running away some more.
    Okay, I put up the stuff I had done so far in the General BS forum. The 2nd part (the part that things happens in) of the vid isn't done yet, but what was done by late Friday is up for download. That vid, of me getting slapped around and the clip of nate getting punched, was to get my feet wet with Afx again.

The full highlight video from Wednesday (which will NOT feature me) will make those clips look like crap.

Some initial reviews of the first edited vid:

Quote Originally Posted by I Choke You
    I like your editing, I felt like I was watching a real movie...that was 30 seconds long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    Nice video and nice editing, it reminds me of "Raging Bull".
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    Those were some of the coolest videos to come out of Bullshido -- ever.
    Nice work men.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?p=851914

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2006 9:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey if u got the video files compressed half decent u should get on aim or yahoo or msn and send them to me.
    oh, quick note -- the actual source videos are captured with firewire, so it's a little over 4 gigs of DV (it doesn't capture at mpeg2 or anything, it's lossless). Rendering it all down to compressed video in afx would take a looooooong time.

There are new SUB-$1000 cameras that shoot in HDV -- that's 720p High Definition video, Sony has one now that shoots in 1080i. That's getting towards movie-quality, 1920x1080; it would look acceptable on most movie projectors. I can't keep up with this technology stuff ...

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 1:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK. folks, gettin' to be 'bout that time. I'd like some heads-up on who's coming - so I can plan how many ninjas to hide in the rafters.

Putting this together, some thoughts:

This is not Fight Club, nor is it the cage. I have a working relationship with the folks who run the gymnastics academy where we will be meeting - I won't allow anything that will risk that relationship. Plus, we invited a few of the (non-Bullshido) at the last show; so there will be a few people who are training for upcoming fights; I don't want them leaving with injuries that will hamper their training.

So, expect to start with light contact, low intensity. I expect to be teaching some judo at the start, partly because that's the kinda guy I am - I like to hear myself talk about judo. But this will also get a chance for all of us to put hands on each other, get a feel for those we can trust for sparring, those we can't.

If you want standup sparring, bring padding. You can always escalate the violence as the afternoon progresses, but it's kinda hard to go backwards.

I'm not entirely a spoilsport - you will be allowed to play hard. But there will be a feeling out period. And I reserve the right to intervene.

Weapons are up to individuals - I have no problems, but the above rules apply. We've got a few padded sticks, some bokken and jo.

To summarize - I expect people to leave the throwdown feeling badly used, rode hard - putup wet; but not broken.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 12:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right -- it's like artists getting together to work on collaborative projects. It's not a juried show where you try to dominate with your <NapoleonD>mad skills</NapoleonD>; when you spar with someone you're working with them to assess where you're at, see what you can do with that person, and try and collaborate at the highest level possible, learning/teaching/enjoying the process.

I think that's mentioned in the throwdown guidelines, which are pretty cool imho; obviously most of us don't give a crap whether or not we get that little fist icon next to our name on an interweb forum (do they even do that any more?) and don't view this as a proof that we are teh hard CORE (I'm not. I have a core of creamy blueberry filling); we're just assessing our abilities and trying stuff out in "an ego-free environment." If you're way better than someone or able to overpower them and want to display that, do it without physical abuse (well, more than the other person is comfortable with ;)), and both parties should be totally comfortable with the level and intensity of contact.

I'm definitely interested in the PR aspects of this and I have no doubt that we're all committed to ensuring that the event reflects positively on all involved (particularly dj, since he's materially involved to the greatest extent).

With a cage scene that's fairly active, there'd be no point in this event as a Fight Club; if you really need that level of intensity, the cage allows it, and if you want more intensity then get a friend and some booze and slug it out bareknuckle somewhere other than a throwdown.

While in person I am inscrutable, rest assured that we are eye-to-eye on this; I too hope no one is coming to this event to scratch a "Fight Club" itch. This atmosphere is more like a coder's MeshMash or Meetup, or a day of intensive collaboration for artists, with maybe a bit of public spectacle/demonstration thrown in. But collaboration is the key word.

For those of us, like me, that have nothing to teach, it's all about learning through doing with people who know more than we do. Nothing makes you good faster than collaboration and feedback.

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 6:30pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I'm coming, it looks like my Mantis bud and Walker aren't gonna go, though.

I have no desire to fight bareknuckle right now. I would compete in the Cage or finally dress up in a costume and be a vigilante at night if I wanted that. Besides, I need to get in better shape and lose a lot of rust and gain some new skill before I do either. I want to spar fairly hard, though.

Now, having said that, I will add that most of the sparring I've done is without much contact or padding. In TKD we threw every strike full speed and power, but we'd play with the range and "pull" the hit an inch from the target. Throws and takedowns were just modified so you threw the guy, but not on his head. My Shooto grappling experience was almost all wrestling starting from the knees like in BJJ. In JKD we did a little of everything when sparring, but the school I was at had instructors who were real nervous about getting sued, so we never put everything together in sparring. It was takedowns and defense one day, grappling with strikes the next, then grappling without. I was always dissapointed that we didn't get the chance to put it all together. It hurt our skills, too.

My TKD teacher was always kicking me fairly hard in the legs, and trying to get me to use more contact in sparring. Doing MT in JKD and kicking shields was the only thing that broke me of the no contact thing. When I got back into town and sparred my TKD bud again, I kicked the hell out of his legs, and HE gave up on the me going full contact thing this time.

I think in sparring you have to try to dominate your opponent with strikes or submissions. The other guy is never gonna get better unless he's facing full speed, full power, and total skill attacks. Now, I can see where you have to take it easy on noobs, but anybody else I think you have to really test. That includes me. My grappling sucks. I need help with it.

I will defer to DJ because this place is his deal and I don't want to ruin it. I also will defer to anybody else's desired level of intensity and contact. Later.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2006 4:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Le sigh.

Fucking insomnia.

Anyway, see you all in 9 hours.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2006 10:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    taking off.

I mentioned to bad_credit in an email I have a bit of business this morning in Sioux Falls, early-morning meeting with people George Carlin would call "pretentious cocksuckers," (note to self: change that wording to 'earnest, driven professionals' when they find out about this site) but it's pretty brief. But, since they're 'earnest, driven professionals', I'm wearing a suit right now. As a result, I am going to be arriving at the Throwdown wearing a fucking suit. Yeah. We'll have to get a shot of that, Christ ... I mean, lawyers do MA and attend throwdowns, but they don't wear fucking suits.

/me sings Powersolo's mr suit ... "hey mr suit what the **** is your problem?!" ...

See you all in a couple of hours.

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 1:00am

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just so everybody else on Bullshido knows, from far left to right; Unpossible, Lee Lohff, bad credit, nate oorlog, and in front is DakotaJudo.
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast