Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2003 4:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi,

This site site has alot of people with in depth knowledge about martial arts, so i thought i'd ask you guys about Wing Chun.

I've read alot and seen the various videos floating around, but my question is that is this actually any good? Can Wing Chun fight the fight in today's world?

I'm asking because i'm considering starting Wing Chun, but i wanted to get the low-down from you guys before i started.

Can someone who practices Wing Chun defend himself from someone who knows Karate or TKD? Or general street fighting? Or any other styles?

Thanks alot for your time!

Reading FD cause cancer

small hick city full with college students in Cali

Posted On:
    2/19/2003 4:57pm

Style: Muay Thai and boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well if you adjust Wing Chun so it fit you and any situtation then yes it is extremely effective. But if you stay in one stance all of the time and practicing sticky hands then you will suck big time.

My suggest is to learn some wrestling (even a school wrestling wll work) so you will have some ground fighting techniauq to back you up.

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."
    I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2003 5:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See the "Thoughts on Wing Chun" thread.

Fig Newtons are fruit and cake, suckah.

Posted On:
    2/19/2003 5:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Buffalo Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well there are some questions you have to ask yourself like a) What are you looking to get out of martial arts? b) Are you expecting to get something specificly out of Wing Chun?

I've been studying Wing Chun for over a year and a 1/2 now after doing 5 years of Kempo. Personally, I love it, I feel that it's a strong system that suits what I'm looking for in a martial arts system: traditional, not flashy, limited amount of forms, and fiercely offensive. I have had the oppurtunity to use it in a street confronation, and I've proved to myself that it works.

But Wing Chun is not for everyone, then again what is, and I've met new students at the school I go to that have run into that, one even left to go study TKD because he said Wing Chun was too hard.

Can some one practices Wing Chun defend himself from someone from another style? Well, that's totally dependent on both the Wing Chun practineer and the openent. Any answer your going to get to that question is going to be heavily weighed by prejudice by WC students and students of other styles.

In the end it all comes down to one thing..go try a class and see if you like it. Make a list of questions you have for the instructor and ask them, and take notes.

"But some apes they gotta go, so we kill the ones we don't know" - 'Ape shall never kill Ape' by The Vandals
    Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2003 5:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WC is pretty good over all if you have a good teacher. First and formost ask if they spar, if they dont run, and run fast out of there. lol

Posted On:
    2/19/2003 5:16pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i love taking Wing Chun

"Can some one practices Wing Chun defend himself from someone from another style? Well, that's totally dependent on both the Wing Chun practineer and the openent. "

He means, it depends on the individual practitioner and opponent. Every fight is different. Even one between the same two people.

--

Let me introduce you to my friends: Fist, Elbow and Knee.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    2/19/2003 5:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally wouldn't say it was effective - you're much better off going for Submission fighting / Shootfighting, Muay Thai, Boxing, wrestling or jiujitsu.

I don't have enough experince with Wing Chun, but this is just my opinion.

Also you would be better off just street fighting, you would leran more about fighting that way than taking Wing Chun.

You can even intergrate WC another style like Fatality Dragon says.
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Posted On:
    2/19/2003 5:19pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I don't have enough experince with Wing Chun, but this is just my opinion. "

--

Let me introduce you to my friends: Fist, Elbow and Knee.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2003 5:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blade, "Also you would be better off just street fighting, you would leran more about fighting that way than taking Wing Chun." PUhLEEEEEZ. If someone has no fighting experience, and they decide to fight to get fighting experience, what are the chances of receiving a severe beating? WC gives you tools for victory/survival that just swinging wildly and hoping to win won't.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2003 5:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blade I dont know where u live but where I am from, if you get fight and u give the guy a good beat down they nomaly come after u with the law. So street fighting is out of the question for most people.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast