Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 1:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Screw that, I love those sports. If you want to get rid of something. Get rid of the Marksman events. Like Archery where they air 10 minutes of the last finals, or the shot pull. I mean? To me those may take skill, but doesn't require any athletic ability.

To me the sports in the Olympics should test your body, not how many arrows or bullets you fire a day.
    If you believe that, it's because you haven't tried it. Control, precision, and the ability to completely master your body down to heartbeat and breath is a test of athletic skill if anything is. And like it or not, the shooting sports are a whole lot more popular than either BJJ or MMA.

Heck, I'd like to see American football in the Olympics simply so I could watch it, but I'm not crazy. I know why it's not there. How many Olympic-caliber teams would they get? How many fans from Africa, Asia, South America?

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 1:27pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon

Screw that, I love those sports. If you want to get rid of something. Get rid of the Marksman events. Like Archery where they air 10 minutes of the last finals, or the shot pull. I mean? To me those may take skill, but doesn't require any athletic ability.

To me the sports in the Olympics should test your body, not how many arrows or bullets you fire a day.
    Just noticed this because someone else responded to it, and I wanted a shot at him...

Have you EVER done target-shooting in your life? I shoot with a 5-time World Skeet Champion, and you have no idea how much practice and talent you need to have to be that good. The man is a machine. That doesn't even require the breath and heartbeat control that rifle shooting does. Besides the physical aspects (heartbeat and breath), you need to be able to judge windage and elevation WHILE holding the gun steady within a tiny fraction of an inch.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 3:10pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes I have done target-shooting and I have been hunting.

If the only combination of athletic ability for shooting that you can come up with is breath and heartbeat control than why not allow tai-chi to be in the olympics?

You are seriously over exaggerating. The ability to be a good shooter comes from LOTS and LOTS of rounds.

If you look at the guy on American Shooter the best shooter in the world, I mean he puts thousands of rounds through a gun before getting a shot down.

Skeet shooting to me is not a sport, and neither is archery. Yes it does take skill WHICH I ADMITTED, but you blatantly left out.

Now for athletic ABILITY? You think the guy is athletic because he can hold his breath and control heart rate?

I might as well call the guy who can hold his breath for 7 minutes at 100 feet under water the most atheletic person in the world.
    I'll make one when I can find one I like.

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 3:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just because something doesn't require great athleticism doesn't mean it's not a sport.

Dictionary.com lists "sport" as:

Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

Thus, rifle shooting, skeet, curling, whatever are all sports. Done and done.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 3:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Skeet shooting" is listed as:

the sport of shooting at clay pigeons that are hurled upward in such a way as to simulate the flight of a bird .
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 5:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I give you my opinion on what I think a sport is and you come back with the definition of the word "sport".

I could care less what you think a sport is, I don't think clay shooting is a sport. I am sorry if you disagree, but that is the way the cookie crumbles.

By your definition, any game on the planet is a sport. Which I don't agree with.

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 6:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon
    I give you my opinion on what I think a sport is and you come back with the definition of the word "sport".

I could care less what you think a sport is, I don't think clay shooting is a sport. I am sorry if you disagree, but that is the way the cookie crumbles.

By your definition, any game on the planet is a sport. Which I don't agree with.

No, because not every game is a physical activity.

And in this matter I'll take the Olympic Committee's opinion of what's a sport is over yours.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 7:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not a physical activity? Moving my hand to grab the remote and change the channel can be classified as a physical activity.

I don't want you to embrace my opinion of a sport as your definition. I could care less what you think a sport is.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234