Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/04/2005 11:53pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope they do drop it.
    that could be soooooooooooo good for wtf tkd.

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    2/05/2005 12:24am

supporting member
     Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am pretty sure we had a thread about this subject already or it had ben discussed in several other threads.

Apart from everything else - I don't think that BJJ has the required numbers of participants in the required number of continents to apply to be recognised as an olympic sport.
    I am not sure about what the requirements are, but the sport needs to be played in x numbers of countries with x numbers of participants.

Does competitive BJJ exist in Africa or Asia? How many European countries actually perform?
    Asia has been at the European Tournament - I am sure he would know.

Is there a well organised BJJ governing body, sending the correct type of bribes to the Olympic official??

I personly would love to kick swimming, track and field and some of the more obscure stuff out and get BJJ in - but - it ain't gonna happen.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    2/05/2005 8:43pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see what good could possibly come out of it, other than recognition from people who know nothing about martial arts, and what's that worth?
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Posted On:
    2/05/2005 8:59pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even though I love BJJ I wouldn't want to see it in the Olympics for the same reasons that Asia mentioned. Having a sport gain Olympic standing at the cost of being watered down is almost like selling out the soul of the art.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/06/2005 12:08am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was in greece during the olympics and judo got quite a bit of airtime, and I went to the heavy weight event and the stadium was atleast 3/4s full.

TKD also got a lot of coverage (it might be because all the TKD took place in the last few days and most other games had ended), but I went to one of those events as well and it was well attended.

That being said, I think another combat sport could easily gain popularity. Especially if it was MMA.

Posted On:
    2/06/2005 1:50am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Karate may be in the 2012 games, but there's a greater chance of it being the Ippon-Kumite rules from what I've been told. Kind of a drag, but the real fighters still hit very hard so we'll at least be spared the feather-touch crap.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 2/06/2005 1:52am at .

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    2/06/2005 9:51am

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What, so it'll look like the Olympic version of "Best of the Best"?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2005 10:18am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry-Monkey
    I was in greece during the olympics and judo got quite a bit of airtime, and I went to the heavy weight event and the stadium was atleast 3/4s full.

TKD also got a lot of coverage (it might be because all the TKD took place in the last few days and most other games had ended), but I went to one of those events as well and it was well attended.

That being said, I think another combat sport could easily gain popularity. Especially if it was MMA.

I'm not surprised Judo had a lot of coverage in Greece since it was one of the few sports they medaled in.

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 1:07am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Best of the Best movie had some good action :P

I saw the women's division in Judo. It was exciting and the only reason I was able to sit through it was because I'm a fan of Judo and grappling/wrestling/sub wrestling. Anyways, I think that at times Judo can be very slow when you just see them trying to get the other off balance and they just fall down.

Even though there was a very impressive Japanese women who was good. I hate Olympic boxing. The way they score is ridiculous. You say to get rid of swimming and Track and Field?

Screw that, I love those sports. If you want to get rid of something. Get rid of the Marksman events. Like Archery where they air 10 minutes of the last finals, or the shot pull. I mean? To me those may take skill, but doesn't require any athletic ability.

To me the sports in the Olympics should test your body, not how many arrows or bullets you fire a day.
    I'll make one when I can find one I like.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 2:05am

Style: Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If curling can be a goddamned olympic sport, then I dont see why JJ couldn't.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast