Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/27/2014 10:57pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Roots of Bok-Fu-Do

Grandmaster Lee told me during my time as a student at East-West Alamo in 1993 and 1994 that Bok-Fu-Do was created by himself and Grandmaster Al Tracy, and it has its roots in Chinese Kenpo kung-fu. He is proud of being the co-creator of the Bok-Fu style. Even though I stopped my training at the purple belt level in the system due to medical issues, he had given me the nickname of "Tigress" in the system. I even had the joy of meeting grandmaster Al Tracy who reminded me of Santa Claus in a kung-fu suit. I hope this helps.

P.S. I registered for this site JUST to answer your question!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2014 5:23pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bok-Fu Tigress View Post
    Chinese Kenpo kung-fu.
    Isn't Kenpo the name the Okinawans applied to Kung Fu, and by Kung Fu I mean the styles they learned from Chinese travelers?

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    7/04/2014 9:53pm

supporting member
     Style: No Style

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarzis View Post
    Isn't Kenpo the name the Okinawans applied to Kung Fu, and by Kung Fu I mean the styles they learned from Chinese travelers?
    No, the words kenpo do not mean "gung fu". It is Japanese for "Quan fa (拳法)", which has a different meaning than "gung fu" (功夫)

"Quan fa" (Mandarin) or kuen fat (Cantonese) specifically refers to boxing (fist techniques/method), although many Chinese styles that use these terms also include kicking, grappling, throwing, etc.

"Gung fu" refers to skill learned through practice/time spent. So you can have "gung fu" in "quan fa" (e.g. quan fa gung fu) and it would mean someone was a good boxer/martial artist.

"Bok Fu Do" is like another mashup of Chinese and Japanese (Bok/Bak Fu is "White Tiger" in Cantonese", Do is Japanese for "Way", the Cantonese would be "Dao/Dou").
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 7/04/2014 10:04pm at .

Posted On:
    7/04/2014 9:57pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarzis View Post
    All I know is what he told me himself.... Grandmaster Lee that is. And he told me his original name was Richard Cuvelier... and his son Chris was one of my instructors. I was there in '93 and '94 at the Alamo branch.

One day he split the zipper in his pants doing a double kick in the air. He sent me to the cleaner's to get them fixed, then introduced me to high ups in the system as "the only student I've ever taken my pants off for" to get an embarrassed reaction out of ME.

Well, at the dinner table one night my brother and I rewrote the lyrics to Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer to be Richard Lee, Our Grandmaster, and when I sang it to him in front of Al Tracy, Mr. Lee when bright red and Al Tracy laughed his head off. So what if I was a lowly orange belt at the time? I wasn't going to have the mickey taken out of me for someone else's enjoyment.

My now ex-boyfriend Sam and I recorded it and distributed it to every black belt we could find in the system and they all loved it too. I even got a thank you note from Al Tracy!

Posted On:
    7/04/2014 10:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    No, the words kenpo do not mean "gung fu". It is Japanese for "Quan fa (拳法)", which has a different meaning than "gung fu" (功夫)

"Quan fa" (Mandarin) or kuen fat (Cantonese) specifically refers to boxing (fist techniques/method), although many Chinese styles that use these terms also include kicking, grappling, throwing, etc.

"Gung fu" refers to skill learned through practice/time spent. So you can have "gung fu" in "quan fa" (e.g. quan fa gung fu) and it would mean someone was a good boxer/martial artist.

"Bok Fu Do" is like another mashup of Chinese and Japanese (Bok/Bak Fu is "White Tiger" in Cantonese", Do is Japanese for "Way", the Cantonese would be "Dao/Dou").
    Wow, you're brilliant W. Rabbit! I learn something new every day!

Posted On:
    7/05/2014 8:13am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I always have to laugh every time I see a modern method with "Do" in the name - "if it was good enough for Bruce Lee ... "

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    7/05/2014 3:25pm

supporting member
     Style: No Style

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    I always have to laugh every time I see a modern method with "Do" in the name - "if it was good enough for Bruce Lee ... "
    I laugh when I try to figure out why Mrs. Lee and her crew called it "Tao of Jeet Kune Do", which is redundant because it would be pronounced "Dao of Jeet Kuen Dao" in all Chinese.

"Way of Intercepting Fist Way".
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12