228316 Bullies, 4246 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 17 of 17
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Bok-Fu Tigress is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3

    Posted On:
    6/27/2014 10:57pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Roots of Bok-Fu-Do

    Grandmaster Lee told me during my time as a student at East-West Alamo in 1993 and 1994 that Bok-Fu-Do was created by himself and Grandmaster Al Tracy, and it has its roots in Chinese Kenpo kung-fu. He is proud of being the co-creator of the Bok-Fu style. Even though I stopped my training at the purple belt level in the system due to medical issues, he had given me the nickname of "Tigress" in the system. I even had the joy of meeting grandmaster Al Tracy who reminded me of Santa Claus in a kung-fu suit. I hope this helps.

    P.S. I registered for this site JUST to answer your question!
  2. Sarzis is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Madrid, Spain
    Posts
    147

    Posted On:
    7/04/2014 5:23pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bok-Fu Tigress View Post
    Chinese Kenpo kung-fu.
    Isn't Kenpo the name the Okinawans applied to Kung Fu, and by Kung Fu I mean the styles they learned from Chinese travelers?
  3. W. Rabbit is offline
    W. Rabbit's Avatar

    There's not enough words to describe my existence.

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Work
    Posts
    8,285

    Posted On:
    7/04/2014 9:53pm

    supporting member
     Style: No Style

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarzis View Post
    Isn't Kenpo the name the Okinawans applied to Kung Fu, and by Kung Fu I mean the styles they learned from Chinese travelers?
    No, the words kenpo do not mean "gung fu". It is Japanese for "Quan fa (拳法)", which has a different meaning than "gung fu" (功夫)

    "Quan fa" (Mandarin) or kuen fat (Cantonese) specifically refers to boxing (fist techniques/method), although many Chinese styles that use these terms also include kicking, grappling, throwing, etc.

    "Gung fu" refers to skill learned through practice/time spent. So you can have "gung fu" in "quan fa" (e.g. quan fa gung fu) and it would mean someone was a good boxer/martial artist.

    "Bok Fu Do" is like another mashup of Chinese and Japanese (Bok/Bak Fu is "White Tiger" in Cantonese", Do is Japanese for "Way", the Cantonese would be "Dao/Dou").
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 7/04/2014 10:04pm at .
  4. Bok-Fu Tigress is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3

    Posted On:
    7/04/2014 9:57pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarzis View Post
    Isn't Kenpo the name the Okinawans applied to Kung Fu, and by Kung Fu I mean the styles they learned from Chinese travelers?
    All I know is what he told me himself.... Grandmaster Lee that is. And he told me his original name was Richard Cuvelier... and his son Chris was one of my instructors. I was there in '93 and '94 at the Alamo branch.

    One day he split the zipper in his pants doing a double kick in the air. He sent me to the cleaner's to get them fixed, then introduced me to high ups in the system as "the only student I've ever taken my pants off for" to get an embarrassed reaction out of ME.

    Well, at the dinner table one night my brother and I rewrote the lyrics to Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer to be Richard Lee, Our Grandmaster, and when I sang it to him in front of Al Tracy, Mr. Lee when bright red and Al Tracy laughed his head off. So what if I was a lowly orange belt at the time? I wasn't going to have the mickey taken out of me for someone else's enjoyment.

    My now ex-boyfriend Sam and I recorded it and distributed it to every black belt we could find in the system and they all loved it too. I even got a thank you note from Al Tracy!
  5. Bok-Fu Tigress is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3

    Posted On:
    7/04/2014 10:07pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    No, the words kenpo do not mean "gung fu". It is Japanese for "Quan fa (拳法)", which has a different meaning than "gung fu" (功夫)

    "Quan fa" (Mandarin) or kuen fat (Cantonese) specifically refers to boxing (fist techniques/method), although many Chinese styles that use these terms also include kicking, grappling, throwing, etc.

    "Gung fu" refers to skill learned through practice/time spent. So you can have "gung fu" in "quan fa" (e.g. quan fa gung fu) and it would mean someone was a good boxer/martial artist.

    "Bok Fu Do" is like another mashup of Chinese and Japanese (Bok/Bak Fu is "White Tiger" in Cantonese", Do is Japanese for "Way", the Cantonese would be "Dao/Dou").
    Wow, you're brilliant W. Rabbit! I learn something new every day!
  6. Chili Pepper is offline
    Chili Pepper's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,209

    Posted On:
    7/05/2014 8:13am


     Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    "Bok Fu Do" is like another mashup of Chinese and Japanese (Bok/Bak Fu is "White Tiger" in Cantonese", Do is Japanese for "Way", the Cantonese would be "Dao/Dou").
    I always have to laugh every time I see a modern method with "Do" in the name - "if it was good enough for Bruce Lee ... "
  7. W. Rabbit is offline
    W. Rabbit's Avatar

    There's not enough words to describe my existence.

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Work
    Posts
    8,285

    Posted On:
    7/05/2014 3:25pm

    supporting member
     Style: No Style

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    I always have to laugh every time I see a modern method with "Do" in the name - "if it was good enough for Bruce Lee ... "
    I laugh when I try to figure out why Mrs. Lee and her crew called it "Tao of Jeet Kune Do", which is redundant because it would be pronounced "Dao of Jeet Kuen Dao" in all Chinese.

    "Way of Intercepting Fist Way".
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.