Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2005 2:30pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Greetings. Ow my foot hurts.

Greetings.

Yesterday I trained like I always do. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary happening to my foot/ankle. I got home last night feeling fine with the exception of a little soreness on my right shin from shin checking a few times.

A few hours later I was getting ready to go to bed and noticed my foot(?) was a little sore. It wasn't too bad, so I went to sleep.

About an hour later I woke up in the absolute worst pain I've ever felt. I've broken my share of bones, been hit in the head with a bat once, etc. But this was horrible. After a few hours and some pain killers it settled enough for me to sleep.

Now it's okay if I'm sitting here, but hurts alot if I try to walk on it. I can move my toes up or down or swivel my ankle any way I want. It's a little sore when I do that, and last night any of those things would've been unbearable. Pinching around the top of my heel and achilles tendon has/had the same effect. Same with the area a few inches below my knee on the outside of the leg. If I pressed there last night, my foot hurt like hell. Now if I press there it's a little sore in my foot. My foot is slightly swolen above my instep, and pressing around the middle of the sole of my foot gives the same pain as everything else. The pain itself feels more like a sudden, stabbing pain almost like a pinched nerve. But it has a torn muscle sort of feel to it too.

Anyone know what's wrong with it? A friend of mine said it sounds like a ligament problem. Is it something I should be concerned about, or will it probably be fine in a day or two?

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    2/03/2005 4:03pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like you need a doc to check you out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2005 5:18pm

Style: Taijiquan - Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, see a doctor. Hyperextended and hurt my foot 2 and 1/2 weeks ago doing Judo Randori and I'll be out for some time. No fun.

Posted On:
    2/03/2005 5:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go see an orthopedic surgeon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2005 9:12pm

Style: Tres Stooges Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpan Scientist
    Go see an orthopedic surgeon.

actually, i'd start with your basic family practice type, or a sports med/family practice doctor if you have access. almost no insurance company would let you go straight to an orthopod right off, and frankly, they don't want to see you unless your problem has been diagnosed as surgical.

also, based on the fact that your pain didn't start until later, and reduced w/ibuprofin, it's unlikely you have a fracture. i say that with the caveat that patients never read the textbooks, and often insist on having unusual presentations no matter how many times we ask them to come in looking like the ideal case. based on your description, you might have torn the syndesmosis between your tibia and fibia. that needs to be looked at fairly soon.

dr. newt

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    2/03/2005 9:25pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Patients? Are you a doctor? Why haven't you asked Phrost about being given a title saying as such? You would have AUTHORITAH.

Posted On:
    2/03/2005 9:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by booknewt
    actually, i'd start with your basic family practice type, or a sports med/family practice doctor if you have access. almost no insurance company would let you go straight to an orthopod right off, and frankly, they don't want to see you unless your problem has been diagnosed as surgical.
    That has not been my experience, but maybe I am a special case.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2005 10:52pm

Style: Tres Stooges Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by samurai_steve
    Patients? Are you a doctor? Why haven't you asked Phrost about being given a title saying as such? You would have AUTHORITAH.
    UH OH, who gave NEWT AUTHORITAH?!?!

believe me, there are few more dangerous creatures known to man than an amphibian with authority.

and yes, i am a doctor. hard to believe, but i have an honest to goodness diploma and everything. i keep it under my unread copies of JAMA. i have alot of those. keeps it flat.

dr. "some of these are just for me" newt