Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    2/09/2005 6:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Am I missing something here? It is an arm triangle while in thier half guard, it doesn't strike me as that complicated? Sometimes I feel like people on here have never actually done a submission in thier life. And you all god damn know who I am talking about in this thread.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    2/09/2005 6:33pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's technically an arm triangle from the half guard, not a skirt/lapel choke.

Oh, and if they are big fat guys with stinky breath you still grab their bottom lip and drive your head into their face. You just need to wash up real good afterwards. With Ajax. And bleach. Then cut your hair.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    2/09/2005 7:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funny, I was looking for some other angles to see the difference between this and other arm triangles.

I found this:
    http://www.masssubmissionacademy.com/krockel.html
    Think he likes armtriangles?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 1:21pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    unless you buy the grappling gameplan, this choke is probably out of your league. It is almost impossible to apply without proper mental preparation....

(i don't even know if i'm being sarcastic anymore)

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 2:43pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WTF are you even doing in martial arts if you haven't bought the gameplan?

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 12:43am

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    On the west coast they're calling this the Shaolin.
    Is that because "Shaolin"Ribeiro is using it (I hear he's got a mean Guillotine as well), or is it because that old school Kung Fu Flick with that "Shaolin headlock" finishing hold? (I haven't seen it, but a fried of mine was telling me about it)

So am I seeing the picture correctly...is the guy's right arm trapped in the choke as well? The Anaconda choke would have the same arm trapped, but the choker would be grabbing his other bicep, right (not counting any differences in body positioning)? Just curious. Looks like a very cool choke. I'll have to put that on my list of stuff to try years from now when I can actually take/hold positions better.
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2005 3:32pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The preview video on fightlife.com for Alexandre Soca's new no-gi series is the brabo choke from half guard:

http://www.fightlife.com/catalog/pro...products_id=99

Pay special attention to how he applies pressure to finish. A lot of people have trouble with this, and he shows a clean way to do it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/21/2005 12:48pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's also a gi brabo choke.

I've had moderate success with it, since the lapel grip works right into a half guard pass I like, but I often run into trouble getting my wizzering arm deep enough to grab the lapel (or maybe I just don't pull out enough lapel to grab). When it does work though, it's a wicked choke.

There are also some cool chokes and sweeps you can setup by wrapping their lapel around like this from guard. I was playing with it last night when I was going with a new guy who made the mistake of saying he was from a submission grappling school so the gi was really new and confusing to him, and I started whoring all the crazy lapel tricks possible.

game dog

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 4:24am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True or false? "The brabo choke is quite easy to prevent by tucking the overhooked elbow into your hip as you feel the guy on top pushing the overhook deeper. Which you should do anyway because it opens up possibilities for sweeps."
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Posted On:
    12/22/2005 4:54am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Knecht Ruprecht
    True or false? "The brabo choke is quite easy to prevent by tucking the overhooked elbow into your hip as you feel the guy on top pushing the overhook deeper. Which you should do anyway because it opens up possibilities for sweeps."
    True, in my experience at least. I'm not a massive fan of this choke at this point in my grappling training.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast