Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 12:42pm

Style: shotokan karate, capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunx2z View Post
    well i imagine his capoeira would take some time to use in a fight due to physical strain it deamnds and in addition to conditioning he'd have to gain teh proper balance and timing so 6 years sounds reasonable in that respect. shotokan should be abotu 6<7 weeks though.
    no way dude, to fully understand tan dien, kime and chi buildup takes more than one life time as well as special initiation ceremonies to get further instruction on the mars temple....
    Last edited by lord shorty; 6/17/2009 1:04pm at .

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 1:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WC defeats Judo on the lei tai? Plausible, if unproven. I wouldn't recomend lei tai competition for anyone without a background in striking. No matter how good your rēng jqiao is.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 2:16pm

Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
    No, I want proof of those so-called deadly techinques working against a resisting opponent. It's like all those people claiming that they could just simpley eye-gouge a grappler if they tried anything on them, but so far eye-gouging has proved impotent against grappling. You're talking as if it's a given that your techniques automatically, but I want proof of people trying it on someone.

Yeah, that reasoning worked for Japanese Jujitsu practitioners until they ran up against Judo.
    I got eye-gouged in a bjj class the other night (unintentionally). I had my opponent in half-guard and he attemtped an escape. His finger accidentally brushed my eye and knocked my contact lens out(more like a rake than a gouge). For about 30 seconds, I couldn't see a thing and could do little more than get a good overhook and hold on for dear life. Had this been a fight, he probably would have pounded the **** out of me in the time it took to recover. After about 30 seconds, I could see again and tapped so I didn't lose my contact lens (it luckily stuck to my cheekbone). After I put the contact back in, we rolled for another five minutes or so until we switched partners. Would an eye gouge stop a fight? Not on its own, but it could create an opportunity to stop a fight. Also, let it be noted that I was rolling with a 3rd dan in judo who is also a blue belt in bjj. So, it would take some grappling experience to even be in a position where you could employ such a strike.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 2:40pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenpostudent View Post
    I got eye-gouged in a bjj class the other night (unintentionally). I had my opponent in half-guard and he attemtped an escape. His finger accidentally brushed my eye and knocked my contact lens out(more like a rake than a gouge). For about 30 seconds, I couldn't see a thing and could do little more than get a good overhook and hold on for dear life. Had this been a fight, he probably would have pounded the **** out of me in the time it took to recover. After about 30 seconds, I could see again and tapped so I didn't lose my contact lens (it luckily stuck to my cheekbone). After I put the contact back in, we rolled for another five minutes or so until we switched partners. Would an eye gouge stop a fight? Not on its own, but it could create an opportunity to stop a fight. Also, let it be noted that I was rolling with a 3rd dan in judo who is also a blue belt in bjj. So, it would take some grappling experience to even be in a position where you could employ such a strike.
    I can't see with our without my eyes open. I've gotten used to grappling with my eyes closed. I've been raked a few times over the eyes and while it hurts it rarely slows me down. Half the time I've got my eyes closed anyway. Of course we rarely train with strikes.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 2:56pm

Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp View Post
    I can't see with our without my eyes open. I've gotten used to grappling with my eyes closed. I've been raked a few times over the eyes and while it hurts it rarely slows me down. Half the time I've got my eyes closed anyway. Of course we rarely train with strikes.
    A. I still suck, so I can't grapple with my eyes closed, yet

B. It fucking hurt... not debilitating, but enough to stun me for a sec... I could only imagine how bad it would be if someone did a full-fledged eye poke or gouge

We don't train against strikes, either... but I probably should... once I get better at bjj.

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 3:06pm

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lord shorty View Post
    the long pole is used to train specific attributes like body connection, focus and stance. i dont know the rest since i never made it there.

many people dont understand traditional martial arts. even those that practice and teach it....

another thing

the scoffing at the philosophy and mental side of the arts is kind of proving the point of why the mental and philosophical and spiritual components are included in the first place...
    Dude i studied WT for SIX years.

I am at liberty to mock all i want.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/18/2009 5:12pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp View Post
    When I used to train Judo it was part of our regular drills to grapple with our eyes closed

Last time someone used teh d3adly on me (eye gouge), he learned that it is a lot easier to do teh d3adly if you have a scarfhold (or another superior position) on someone. My fake eye gouge didn't get stop this guy from spazzing out inside my hold and he continued trying stupid **** like gouging my eyes out. He didn't quite learn the lesson about using teh d3adly until he also ate an elbow and then a punch. I left him both of his eyes and a bump on his head.

BTW if someone ever tries to eye gouge you, lean into it and not away from it. A proper eye gouge I am referring to is done with two fingers hooked into your sockets. I'm not talking about eye strikes. I heard the best defense to it is to eye gouge back..
    Last edited by dwkfym; 6/18/2009 5:17pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2009 2:40pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lord shorty View Post
    like what?
    there are studies about stance that say that in fear induced stress, police men always (almost) take a front on stance instead of a bladed stance. (meaning their chest is parallel to the target they are shooting at) even if they have trained otherwise. the martial art imo trains other attributes then the moves that one is doing. wing chun punches teach body connection, focus and relaxation imo. its a feeling and understanding that can be applied to many other arm movements as well.

i actualyl think i am right. i dontt hink a lot of people get traditinal martial arts.

but i would like to discuss
    Bad habits such as poor footwork, not turning the waist into your punches, not tucking your chin correctly, not protecting your chin with your shoulders, and other things that are necessary in punching another resisting opponent.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2009 1:52pm

Style: CSW BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The delusion is incredible.
    Last edited by Strifes; 10/16/2009 1:55pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2009 10:02pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strifes View Post
    The delusion is incredible.
    yay mini necro!

BTW Wing Chun is incredible.