Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2004 10:43pm

Style: Daito Ryu, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lasiks and MA

I am planning on having Lasiks eye surgery done sometime after the first of the year, and was curious if anyone here has had the procedure. I am trying to learn what type of restrictions I may have after the surgery, and how long before I can resume my normal training routine. I have reached the end of my patience with having remove my glasses to spar or roll with my instructor. Any information whould be helpfull.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2004 11:14pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm myopic, and looked at LASIK, but am still currently wearing lenses.

What I found was that the process cost averages about $1k to $1.5k per eye for optimal surgeons. It's supposed to be relatively painless; you should be fine for most activities the next day, and should be okay after a week or two for everything.

I keep hearing that post-LASIK, night vision suffers. Possibly due to the scar tissue around the incision?

I think the process involves shaving a flap off the eye surface, over the pupil, and reshaping the interior of the eyeball with a computer-driven laser. There are generic- and custom- 'maps' that can be used for the reshaping.

You may also have to return for repeats of the process.

You've probably looked over www.lasik.com by now. I'd do a bit of searching for possible side-effects, on Google, to get a feel for any darker side to the surgery.

Posted On:
    11/25/2004 11:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm getting my eyes done on 12/8. I specifically discussed MA with the Dr. and was comfortable that contact would not be an issue (especially learning of several of the NBA and NFL clients).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2004 11:49pm

Style: Daito Ryu, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys, both my brother in law and my nephew have had the procedure, but neither of them are involved in any type of contact sport. This is promissing!

Posted On:
    11/25/2004 11:53pm

Style: Knife-jitsu o=]==>

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't reccomend Lasik because they're using a laser to shave off part of your cornea, and theres no garuntee that you won't have to wear glasses (reading or otherwise) or contacts. Also, you'll have ot have check-ups regularly and repeat the procedure until they can't cut anymore off of your eye, in which you'll have to have glasses/contacts from then on. I suggest contacts or sport glasses that are meant ot take the wear and tear.

But thats just my opinion.

Posted On:
    11/26/2004 4:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are your medical qualifications Reikon?

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    11/26/2004 8:19am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reikon, were you told that by a doctor that does LASIK? 'Cause you're incorrect.

I had it done about 6 months ago. I LOVE it. I went from a -7.50 prescription in both eyes (off the 20/x charts) to 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other. Though I haven't done any full contact to the head since then, I have rolled and done ligth contact to the head with no problems. When I asked about "boxing" before the procedure the guy said I'd have to wait at least 3 weeks, but other than that no problem.

There are some problems with night vision (halo) that have gotten better for me, but I still have. Nothing that prevents me from driving or anything, just an annoyance. It supposed to go away eventually, and they told me it is worse and takes longer the worse your vision is.

But really, DON'T LISTEN TO ANY OF US. Just go and get your free consultation. When I got mine I found out that a lot fo what I heard about LASIK from people was complete BS. It's free. Go and find out from a qualified source.

Posted On:
    11/26/2004 8:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One bit of advice is to NOT shop for the cheapest procedure. Some of these places treat Lasik as a commodity and not the medical procedure it is. If you feel they are rushing you through the process and trying to close the sale - then run away. Go to a place where you can get good references from a qualified person, they have good experience, take their time explaining everything and testing, and generally make you feel comfortable. Of course, do some research on the internet to make sure there are no major legal problems with your choice. BUT DO NOT GO FOR THE CHEAPEST ONLY BECAUSE THEY ARE THE CHEAPEST.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2004 8:40am

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A girl in my judo class had it done -- she said she couldn't do judo for something like six weeks, but then she was cleared to do it. Otherwise, most people I know stick to contacts/uncorrected vision during randori.

Posted On:
    11/26/2004 10:41am

Style: Knife-jitsu o=]==>

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brandeissansoo
    What are your medical qualifications Reikon?

Nothing. Ijust wanted to get the same thing done, went in for a consoltation and that is what they told me. I was talking about it with an optician at the vision center when I recently went to get glasses and she confirmed the same thing.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast