Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/03/2005 1:12pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like you said, just measure your BMI through something else. Calipers are said to be inaccurate though. I measured myself with them in 9th grade and I got 12%. Then again I wasn't really following the directions...

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    2/03/2005 1:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BMI is crap, esp for athletes Most nutritionists and dieticians will tell you so. By the BMI index, I'm overweight ;-)

Posted On:
    2/03/2005 1:27pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He clearly doesn't even know what BMI is either.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2005 1:30pm

Style: PTK, MT, & Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AkiraMusashi
    BMI is crap, esp for athletes Most nutritionists and dieticians will tell you so. By the BMI index, I'm overweight ;-)

BMI is one of the worst possible ways to determine body fat %. By the way, so is use of a skin caliper unless you have a very experienced and trained tester doing to test on you everytime on the exact same spot everytime.

The only truly reliable ways right now are, Dual X-Ray Absorbiometry (DEXA Scan), or Hydrostatic Weighing. Of the two, I prefer dexa as it gives you information about regional body fat, lean mass, bone density and other good stuff.

Bioelectrical Impedence is the way that your high speed thumb gizmo is using and most research shows that to be a wild ass guess at best.

Taking a break

Posted On:
    2/03/2005 4:43pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinch2
    The only truly reliable ways right now are, Dual X-Ray Absorbiometry (DEXA Scan), or Hydrostatic Weighing. Of the two, I prefer dexa as it gives you information about regional body fat, lean mass, bone density and other good stuff.
    I may be a gadget nut with too much money, but I suspect either of those are not really an option for something to shove in the cupboard.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Posted On:
    2/04/2005 3:16pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought BMI was just a general term for a calculated body fat percentage? I don't mean just insert your height and weight and get some number over the Internet. Though maybe that's what it means by "Body Mass Index."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2005 4:06pm

Style: none currently, ex-TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Son_of_Sparda
    I thought BMI was just a general term for a calculated body fat percentage? I don't mean just insert your height and weight and get some number over the Internet. Though maybe that's what it means by "Body Mass Index."
    BMI does not differentiate between muscle and fat. It is strictly a measure of, well, mass.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/publ...tm#limitations

Bodyfat % take into account weight, height, and age, and the various methods attempt to differentiate between fat weight and weight from muscle, bone, organs, connective tissue, etc. I've never heard of the DEXA scan, but the best I know of is the Hydrostatic Weighing (which involves both measuring equipment and a large "dunk tank").

Posted On:
    2/05/2005 1:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, BMI is indiscriminatory of muscle and fat, as I said, acc to the the BMI, I'm overweight, which is ludicrous.

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    2/05/2005 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember Men's Health (or was it Men's Fitness?) doing an article once on Evander Holyfield...his BMI was something crazy and put him well into the Grossly Obese/Sitting On Death's Door category. He was at his fighting weight too! LOL!

I was under the impression that the "foot-based" electrical current BF measurements were accurate enough for most average athletes? The scans/dunk-tanks are just expensive and over-involved. Not something for Mr. Joe. M. Artist.
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Posted On:
    2/06/2005 4:58am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Calipers are also fairly accurate. Not as accurate as hydro-static weighing... but about the most accurate measurement that can be practically used outside of a clinical setting. It also depends on which test you use too... there are so many.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast