Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Body Fat

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Bolton, Lancashire, UK
    Posts
    2,611
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Body Fat

    Yesterday I bought a cheap body fat meter. I never expected it to be accurate, but its saying I'm at 32% bodyfat (I was last measured at about 25%, and I've been exercising since). As long as its consistently wrong I can at least use it to track changes, so this is all fine.

    The thing that does worry me is the description in the manual.
    For a male, above 30, it says:
    <17% Excessively light
    17-23% Light
    23-29% Standard
    29-39% Fat
    >39% Excessively fat

    So, its technically accurate in that by its own standards, but they don't seem to be the same standards as anyone else uses.

    this worries me.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

  2. #2
    Badness will not be rewarded supporting member

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    4,839
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, I would be excessively light. I don't remember you being really fat though Sam . . .

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    18,610
    Style
    Weight Training
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow! Are you sure you aren't confusing those figures with the ones for females or something? :D
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

  4. #4
    Equipoise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    In the nightmares of bodybuilders.
    Posts
    3,433
    Style
    Chemical Assistance
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your manual is borked. 7-10% for a male is very light, 14-17% is very light for women.

    And yes you should be concerned. You're fat.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    8,749
    Style
    Muay Thai & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm on day 16, my body fat on day one was 24.6%. 2 weeks later it is 23.2 I gained 9lbs to 262lbs. Loss 3lbs of at, and gained 10 to 12 lbs of muscle.

    I don't pay attention much to weight anymore, just what I see in the mirror. I was bothered about the body fat as well, but if you are working out and doing somethng about it, then you are one up the next guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,118
    Style
    TKD, MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've got under 7% bodyfat. I love being Asian.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Bolton, Lancashire, UK
    Posts
    2,611
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just got it as a toy. I spend 11 hours a day in front of a desk, so I need something to relieve the boredom.
    I'm not concerned about being fat, I already know that, I'm concerned that the device is operating on its own inscrutable maths.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

  8. #8
    Jekyll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau
    Posts
    2,084
    Style
    San shou(tai chi) +judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SamHarber
    Yesterday I bought a cheap body fat meter. I never expected it to be accurate, but its saying I'm at 32% bodyfat (I was last measured at about 25%, and I've been exercising since). As long as its consistently wrong I can at least use it to track changes, so this is all fine.

    The thing that does worry me is the description in the manual.
    For a male, above 30, it says:
    <17% Excessively light
    17-23% Light
    23-29% Standard
    29-39% Fat
    >39% Excessively fat

    So, its technically accurate in that by its own standards, but they don't seem to be the same standards as anyone else uses.

    this worries me.
    Unless you've been on a donut splurge since september I doubt that you have that high a percentage of body fat.

    Does this work by putting a small electric current through your feet and measuring the conductivity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Bolton, Lancashire, UK
    Posts
    2,611
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll
    Unless you've been on a donut splurge since september I doubt that you have that high a percentage of body fat.

    Does this work by putting a small electric current through your feet and measuring the conductivity?
    This one does it through the thumbs.
    I'd guestimate myself down to about 20% or so. Next time I can grab a trainer at the gym I'll get him to apply the calipers.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

  10. #10
    Jekyll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau
    Posts
    2,084
    Style
    San shou(tai chi) +judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't see how that would work, you work out more get a broader chest conductivity goes down as the electricity travels further.
    Work out less eat more donuts and your upper body fat % goes up. Resistance goes up with it and the conductivity goes down.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO