Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 2:07pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Teh toe!!!

My most common and annoying injury is sprained toes. I swear to god I have sprained my left big toe at least 12 times. Each time it seems easier to injure.

Once again I sprained my big toe. To the point that the area alongside my big toe and the top of my foot is purple. It's so awesome.

Its the kind of injury that doesn't take you out of commission. It just hinders your training. You constantly 'hurt' it. You are constantly reminded of it. You have to baby it. You can't do this. You can't do that. Everyone steps on THAT toe.

yes yes yes. I know your answer, wear wrestling shoes. Well I do BJJ and we cant compete with them so training with them especially while doing Judo standup is a nonono. I may have to wear them for a few weeks now though. Sucks. Also I have my own theory that wrestling shoes + wrestling mat = more knee injuries because you cant pivot very well and the transference goes right to the knee.

Ahhh well. Screw it. Gotta keep trainin anyway.

Here's to you guys who have chronic toe injuries. Lets all have a good cry and let it out.

:llorar:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 2:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My toes are especially long, so I empathize. They are always slightly sprained. Oh and today, one of my toenails is slightly ingrown.

:sad1:
    Last edited by Nid; 2/01/2005 2:13pm at .

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 2:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In football they suffer from "turf toe", a constant spraining of the little toe.
    Solution:
    Amputate the toe.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's the worst is when you wake up in the morning and you step out onto a cold floor and get that cramp right between your toes that stays for like a full minute till it dies down then goes away. I always get those whenever waking up or sometimes when I'm swimming.

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 9:55pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My toe exercises I do whereever. (Massive sprain on my big right toe a while back)

Wearing shoes, in line, in class, at the comp.

Toes raises/wiggles, press against top and bottom of shoes for resistance.
    Doing now, toe raises lifting up the foot using weight of foot a bit.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    2/02/2005 11:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9

Here's to you guys who have chronic toe injuries. Lets all have a good cry and let it out.

:llorar:
    I have to wear wrestling shoes to avoid this. Tried training without them last week for teh first time in a long time and viola... sprained my big toe!

So... I hear ya brotha!

:sad10:
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2005 12:41am

Style: karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yrkoon9, is it in gi BJJ competitions that you can't wear footgear? I've only competed (once) in no-gi and I swear I saw some people wearing foot gear, and am pretty sure it wasn't called submission wrestling (ie saw no slams being attempted)...

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/03/2005 1:21am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i sprained my big toe over 6 months ago while rolling barefoot. it really fucked up my training, and hurt like hell. now i wear shoes (martial art shoes, wrestling shoes or ugs depending on the surface i am working out on.)

generally you can wear wrestling shoes in the no-gi division at tournaments.

i have heard (not verified) that some places will let you wear sambo shoes or ugs (ultimate grappling shoes) in gi divisions.

http://www.rmax.tv/ugs.html

i like the ugs myself, but they don't work on hard floors (no traction), only on mats. and even on some mats the soles can be a bit slick. wrestling and tri-fold mats were fine, but on the jigsaw puzzle mats we have, they were not good. maybe that will change when the mats are a bit older. i noticed that it wasn't too bad on the older ones.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    2/03/2005 2:07am

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have broken both of my big toes, in the joint( from Basketball many years back). The left one sprains or dislocates frequently even with shoes on. I can't even flex my toes to use the ball of my foot foor kicking well, and toe kicks are very rare, However I've learned to get by unless its really hurting. (Even kicking a heavy bag sometines causes problems). Foootwork is a must and sometimes ibuprofen. One time I had to take 800 mgs 3 times a day for a few weeks for a totator injury and my toes felt like they were brand new. Then the prescription ran out and I was hobbling around. So if your going to compete I would recomend Ibuprofen and tape on tourney day. And light workouts the few days prior to build up some strength and saving your toes for when you need them.
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."