Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 10:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Back from a 2 month lay-off

Ok, so I haven't done any Strength training for 2 months.

Having concentrated solely on MA, I know want to reincorporate ST into my routine.

First issue :
    Time, I only have 1 day available out of the week to do ST, I am thinking of doing ST on the LAST day of my workout schedule so I can have a minimum of 2 whole days of rest, before I hit the MA routine.

Second issue:
    Since I have only one day, I need to hit my whole body in one workout.

The exercises I am considering:
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Weighted Chins
    Weighted Dips
    Incline Press ( DB)
    Overhead Press (DB)
    Calf raises

Abs I do when I do my MA so...

Now, here is the first issue with the above routine:
    If I am do to Squats AND DL in the same workout, something is gonna give, if I do squats first, my legs and back will give, if I do DL first, my back will give when I do squats so...
    My thinking is squat one week, DL the other, my concern: 2 weeks between squats n Dl, now, my resoning is that, because the muscles being worked are bascially the same ones, I should be fine, Yes ?

My other "question":
    I am doing weighted dips aka the "upper body squat", now as we know, dips hit the pecs, shoulders, triceps, even traps, but, I should I include an "upper" pec exercise also, or just an overhead pressing one ?

I will be doing the typical, HIT workout:
    2-3 sets to warm up, increasing in weight, one working set to failure with a max weight for the 6-8 rep range ( no less than 6, no more than 8).
    Except for calves that have a tendancy of responding more to the higher rep scheme ( 12-15) supposedly...

Any thoughts ?

Note:
    Ideally I woul dlike to keep it down to 5 exercise.
    EX:
    Squat - alternate with DL
    Weighted dips
    Weighted chins
    Incline press or Overhead press ?
    Calf raises

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 10:22am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do squats and deadlift on the same day, but I do squats first and deadlifts second. I would rather have my legs give out, and not my back. 2 weeks between exercises seems like a long time, but then maybe that's just me.

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 10:32am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the past, I have noticed that, when I do squats and dl in the same day, one always ends up suffereing, I mean if I do squats first for example, I can't do as much weight or as much reps with the weight I would normally do, IF I had done DL first, know what I mean?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 10:49am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then you could try alternating the order in which you do them. One week squats first and DL second, then the next week the reverse the order, DL first and squats second. Like I said, a 2 week layoff seems like a long time, but then maybe its okay, maybe its just an emotional reaction of mine, and not really something to worry about.

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 10:56am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, its not a two week layoff for the muscles, not really, just for the exercises.
    Though you have point, by alternating them, that could be something...

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 10:57am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin69
    Now, here is the first issue with the above routine:
    If I am do to Squats AND DL in the same workout, something is gonna give, if I do squats first, my legs and back will give, if I do DL first, my back will give when I do squats so...
    My thinking is squat one week, DL the other, my concern: 2 weeks between squats n Dl, now, my resoning is that, because the muscles being worked are bascially the same ones, I should be fine, Yes
    That could work out pretty well if you hit them intensely enough. You could also alternate doing one light and one heavy as well, doing singles for your light work and whatever reps you want to use for your heavy. I'm no personal trainer, but I've known guys who only do a lift once a week who still get strong just through those as they give it their all.

My other "question":
    I am doing weighted dips aka the "upper body squat", now as we know, dips hit the pecs, shoulders, triceps, even traps, but, I should I include an "upper" pec exercise also, or just an overhead pressing one?
    Personally I think the overhead press will work out well enough for you, but if you want to keep the inclines go for it. Try it without first and see how that works out, then add them if you feel it needs the additional work.

Note:
    Ideally I woul dlike to keep it down to 5 exercise.
    EX:
    Squat - alternate with DL
    Weighted dips
    Weighted chins
    Incline press or Overhead press ?
    Calf raises
    Looks like a good overall workout, I especially like the weighted dips and chins :icon_thum I prefer old-school so I'd go with the overhead press, you're more likely to get more functional strength out of it than the incline, but that's my opinion. Looks good though :)

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 11:02am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Koto !

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 12:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin69
    Thanks Koto !
    Anytime :thumbsup: I may be a dickhead, but at least I try to help people out once in a while :D

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 12:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Facing similar problems I've switched to trapbar deadlifts, hybrid squat-DL.

Why calf raises? I've always considered them more of a glam exercise. Am I wrong? Or do you just like looking at your shapely calves?

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 12:46pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dochter
    Facing similar problems I've switched to trapbar deadlifts, hybrid squat-DL.

Why calf raises? I've always considered them more of a glam exercise. Am I wrong? Or do you just like looking at your shapely calves?
    I may just invest in a trap bar...
    As for the calves, well, no other exercise hits the calves and the calves are a crucial muscle group in striking AND grappling ( upa and shrimping), and besides that, my calves need the work !
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast