Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 3:57pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't even touched MMA.tv or Subfighter.com yet. Be afraid.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 4:32pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    I haven't even touched MMA.tv or Subfighter.com yet. Be afraid.
    Dude I'm afraid everytime I see your avatar.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 4:38pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    Dude I'm afraid everytime I see your avatar.
    It's natural to want to experiment.

Ackermannweight

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 4:43pm

supporting member
     Style: OWNAGE

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff
    Look who's talking? :icon_cher
    i wud sey yuo=fag0t but i think taht at this pointe it si paynefully obveeuss :new_color
    Yeah, it's just too bad all of Gravedigger's signatures are actually burned onto stone tablets by the flaming sword of Gabriel himself, then mailed to Phrost to be converted into forum code under the name "Gravedigger". -Boyd :love2:

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 7:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Come on folks, I want to be lambasted for my like minded "contributions".

Slackers.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/07/2005 1:24pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yrkoonn9 wrote this post before my first tournament and I thank him for it. Taken from Sherdog. Everything below is Yrkoon9 unless otherwise noted:

I have done many BJJ competitions. The only thing I say that matters is conditioning. If you aren't in top shape, don't bother going. Or accept your fate as one of those early round speedbumps for the guys who are in shape.

Honestly, in the weeks before competition you aren't going to learn that 'tournament winning move'. Everything you do that is natural and instinctive is what you are going to do in competition. Whats more, your opponent is going to know pretty much the same stuff.

So it comes down to who wants it more. The guy who wants it more prepared more. He trained harder. He will be able to give 100% every round until he gets to the finals.

In the finals more often than not it is not determined so much on skill, but on condition. The guy who can recover faster has a HUGE advantage.

You might be a bad ass in the gym, but things are different in competition. You might be the technical master who taps everyone - but you will find that hard to do when you are completely exhausted from your first two matches - you can barely close your hands from your forearms being so pumped - you can't get a full breath of air - you feel sorta dizzy and dehydrated. Like I was saying earlier - if you are in awesome physical shape you have a much better chance of winning.

The mental preparation is a mindfuck. I have heard every sorta mystical voodoo mumbo jumbo as to how to prepare. Visualization. Positive thinking. Meditation. Etc.

Pffft. Let me tell you - nothing takes the place of experience. Knowing the routine, and accepting the anxiety as part of the competition takes a lot of stress off.

Ohhhh...but Yrkoon9 isn't there some magical excersize I can do, maybe some breathing or something that will remove the adreneline, fear, anxiety, sleepless night, and rush of panic?

No. There isn't. Just fuckin deal with it. It gets much easier with time. It is very comforting to say to yourself, blah - this is my 23rd BJJ tournament. Its just like all the others. Weigh in was a joke. It isnt going to start on time. Listen for my division, go find some friends and chill out cuz its gonna be a long day. etc etc.

What am I saying? Don't worry about whether you are doing the 'right' routine with weights, running, and BJJ. Concentrate on being in AWESOME physical shape. Dial in YOUR moves, don't try to learn everything in hopes of catching someone with some crazy submission. And just accept the fact that fear and anxiety are part of competition. There you go. Simplified~
    Quote Originally Posted by dfrager
    ITS A MENTAL GAME

Everytim I step on the matt for a competition i dont get jitters and i dont get nervous cuz i dont care if i lose ! Jus go out there and give a good performance critque ur mistakes later on ! go out there with a attidtude like that guy fucked your sister and ur going to show the world what happens!!
    ^^^
    Speedbump for guys on the way to quarter-finals.

Posted On:
    3/09/2005 4:56pm

Style: Taekwondo,Boxing and free

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    forfeit

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2005 4:57pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just like you keep forfeiting my challenge. You cannot back out now. This is serious.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123