Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/31/2005 4:44pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

ATTN YRKOON9: I am competing tomorrow - How do I win?

im doing my first tournament - grapplers quest in elizabeth nj on feb 26 - and i was just wondering what some of you guys with a lot of tournament experience change about your training to get ready to compete. feel free to post about ANYTHING you do - drilling, rolling, diet, weight training, cardio, rest, etc. much thanks in advance.
    cheers

by the way, i am doing both gi and no gi divisions
    OR
    BJJ Tournament Tomorrow-Advice?
    Anybody got any good tips on how to prepare on the day of a tournie?

In regards to anything really!

Thanks!
    OR
    What do you think is the best way to fight in a tourny or competition are u guys always goin for the points ,just goin for the sub or a lil of both jut incase u cant get the point u have the sub ? iam not all that experienced in goin for points is that easy to grasp

i been doin no gi learning myself from videos and books and gone to 3 classes taught by a 6th degree BB in bjj so iam pretty good but thats a 2 hour drive so iam goin to train with this guy near me once a week my first comp is october 16 unless i find one sooner .
    OR
    i have my first grappling competition coming up the 24 of april,
    ive been training hard cause it's a tournament, it's actually a bjj tournament with gi,
    im competing at -79kg that's about 190pounds, white belt of course,
    ive been training for about 9months now and ive missed previos competitions because of injurys

so do you guys have any good advice for a first timer?
    Sadly, all of these are actual posts from Sherdog.
    The purpose of this thread is to allow Ykroon to rant for the benefit of all involved.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2005 4:51pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    for this tournament your going to need the moves that the other guys don't know. so check the copyrights on your bjj books! don't use anything before 2005.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/31/2005 5:18pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a long history of complete newbie evisceration with the above sort of posts.

Sometimes I ease off and offer some advice on how to PREPARE for competition, but usually I just e-terminate them to the point they have to create a new user name in order to avoid the shame of posting again. I have no mercy on people who cannot prepare themselves for competition.

Now I *WILL* relate a funny story. Back in the 90's in Austin we had this competition called the No Games Competition. It had lots of divisions : Kickboxing, grappling, sword, and knife fighting. Our class was primarily a RBSD program but at that school there were several different class availible. One of the students from the TAI CHI program asked my instructor if he would train him for this competition.

...we were all like....uhhh....WTF. Okay with just over a week to prepare this guy had NO chance of winning. NONE. And we tried to put things in perspective for him. He was adamant though. So the instructor was reluctantly like...okay.

So for a full 3 days we beat the **** out of this guy. I mean BEAT HIM UP BAD. Basically we were trying to convince him not to do it. He didn't break. He got bloodied every day. Most people would be like...**** this, im out. Which is what we were hoping for.

So on the 4th or 5th day we did this psychological conditioning on him. He had taken the worst beating we could give him and he survived. He couldn't mount much offense against people who were technically more superior and in much better shape. So went the other route. Make him a berserker. Imagine like a Marine boot camp kind of conditioning where they just psych you up to kill, without having much ability to do so. Convinced him he was just insane - and whenever he stepped up he should just go absolutely nuts.

We would talk to him. Then slap him real fuckin hard. And yell in his face and amp him out - then turn him loose sparring. LOL. He could only last like 2 minutes but it was like fighting a retard on PCP. The most uncoordinated, awkward, and overwhelmingly unconventional fighting you could imagine. We would pad one guy up in FIST gear and let this guy go nuts on him. Fucking downward elbows followed up by overhand rights and then windup windmill punches. Then he could sit down again and chill out as he gasped for air.

Then slapping and yelling and he would go nuts for 2 minutes.

...end result?

He wins the full contact division. Beats 2 other guys. 1 Muay Thai, 1 Karate. He beat them on pure aggression. No technique. Just flying at them with the windmill attack, and the (mistaken) idea he was an invincible fighting machine. Now they were only 2 rounds of 3 minutes but he did win his division. His opponents simply didn't know how to respond. They were used to pacing themselves against a trained fighter. Not this guy.

Then...he enters the sword division. He's going up against 10+ year Kendo guys with his 6months of Tai Chi and tai chi sword work.

...same tactic. Berserker mode. He manages to get 2nd place somehow. Again, no technique - just attitude.

The guy comes in a week later and thanks everyone for the wonderfull training and goes on and on and on. We were all like, congratulations! (you fucking nut). You did great! (for a retard on PCP). You are welcome in our class at any time! (because we like beating you up).

...of course I don't subscribe to this method of training and preparation. I am a staunch believer that ' the will to win is nothing compared to the will to PREPARE to win'.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    1/31/2005 7:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The applicability of this thread to some of my own is depressing.

Dumb weight question

Stupid lifting questions

Posts 1 through approximately 58

Particularly given the sucktitude demonstrated here:
    Dochter getting owned

Posted On:
    1/31/2005 8:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great thread. I'd +rep you but need to spread the love.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/31/2005 10:03pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dear Yrkoon,

I have a tournament tomorrow and my cardio is bad. Will my <3 heart <3 carry me through to the win?

Thanks.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 10:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    Dear Yrkoon,

I have a tournament tomorrow and my cardio is bad. Will my <3 heart <3 carry me through to the win?

Thanks.
    You can improve your cardio by watching UFC's 1-3 in sequence. Once done, go to the bathroom and do about 30 seconds of shadow boxing in the mirror while listening to 'eye of the tiger'.

Now go back and watch 'Choke' with Rickson Gracie.

30 more seconds of shadow boxing in the mirror.

And to fully prepare you will need to down a 2 liter of Coca Cola (energy), and a bag of greasy potatoe chips (carbs) while watching VisionQuest at around 11pm the night before the competition. This will ensure you get optimal rest.

Congratulations - you are destined to win! An unstoppable wrecking machine. I almost feel sorry for your opponents. No mercy Danielson! Mercy is for the weak! We do not train to be mercifull here!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 11:27am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dear Yrkoon,

I am competing tomorrow and I want to use the x-guard to win, like Marcelo Garcia used to win the ADCC. Ignoring the fact I have been drilling closed guard for the last 7 months and still cannot get an armbar from it, do you recommend I watch Winning Techniques of Submission Grappling, Complete 6 DVD Set and use my new x-guard tomorrow? I think it will also impress the ladiez.

Thanks.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 2:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's exactly what you should do.

Try something you have never practiced before. This is a strategy that the top eschelon fighters do. They see something on TV and try it out the day they are fighting. Don't go with the basics. Don't stick with what you know. Go ahead and try out the new **** in competition - because if it works there then you know you got it down and dont have to practice it ever, make sense?

Try to keep this tip on the downlow. If people start watching a buncha videos and stuff they may suddenly get real good. Then I would have to watch even MORE videos than them to get better. Its a viscious cycle I don't want to get involved in.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 2:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a damn good thread.

Yrkoon,

Could you please write every scenario a grappler may find himself in, and then explain the counter which leads to a quick submission?

All the guys in class who've been there longer than me, keep putting me in compromising positions. *I* want to be the one to do that.

I think the staff is holding out on me.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast