Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    2/02/2005 4:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's all dependant on the calories you're taking in. Don't want alot of mass? Don't eat tons of food, or balance out your diet with intense exercise so you're burning the calories that you're taking in throughout the day. It takes anywhere from 500-1000 calories over the amt you're burning to put on mass. As Omega said, you will put on some mass from any exercise you do, after you balance out to your goals, you'll then have to maintain that same caloric intake to avoid deanimating muscle or increasing in mass.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    2/02/2005 5:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    Your excercise still requires increase in mass. This is why I hate giving training advice I always get into these micro fine arguements with people.
    Didn't mean to come off like an asshole, I just meant that it more boils down to intensity rather than rep counts. Some guys get massive off of sets of 30-50 reps. Others get enormous off of singles and doubles.
    Last edited by VikingPower; 2/02/2005 5:35pm at . Reason: Fucked up quote

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/02/2005 5:39pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and you're just sensitive....

See now you have to qualify what you said. In other words what I said was essentially correct but instead of adding to what I said to clarify more on the subject everybody starts arguing with me.

(I've been having a bad few days anyway, and I never really go into details I'm just too lazy)

Posted On:
    2/02/2005 5:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    and you're just sensitive....

See now you have to qualify what you said. In other words what I said was essentially correct but instead of adding to what I said to clarify more on the subject everybody starts arguing with me.

(I've been having a bad few days anyway, and I never really go into details I'm just too lazy)
    Basic compound exercises can be done effectively and to increase growth when done with high repetitions IF you work them with enough intensity. An easy (well, easy on paper but IRL a bitch) way is to just take a weight you can do several repetitions with it (we'll say like 10 max) and then double it (to 20). After the tenth, your body says "OK, that's about all for this set," but you keep cranking them out. Take as much time as you need between each one. By the 13th or 14th, your body's saying "****, man, that's good. Put the weight down and go over and talk to the cute chick in the Spandex." Once you hit 16, your body's basically screaming at you to stop lifting those fucking weights. 18 and 19 is the big point, this is where you have tears streaming down your face, blood all rushed up to your head, and you can't even scream cause if you do it's gonna drop that weight on your foot. Effective and works pretty well, especially for hardgainers.

Then let's take singles, where you just pick it up and bust out a rep, then there's a set. These are nice because you can train lifts a lot more frequently, though it's not the kind of things for beginners. Other low-rep things are the 5x5, powerlifting 8x3, and stuff like that. These are good, too, as a lot of people don't want to nearly vomit every workout nor will a lot of people want to do the kind of intense high-rep training described above. That's where the heavy weights, low reps come in: they can get a good strength-building workout and add some size by working intensely but in a manner different to the "squat till you puke" analogy. Works well for lots of people too.

I'm willing to bet you know the majority of this already though, but since you wanted me to explain, I did my best :thumbsup:

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/02/2005 5:49pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Koto_Ryu again.

Posted On:
    2/02/2005 6:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's the though that counts :thumbsup: Much appreciated, omega.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123