Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2005 7:47pm

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing that someone pointed out to me a few weeks ago was that when you grab your wrist, use it to push your partners leg off of your face. Put your head on top of his leg, bridge, and push yourself so his leg is under your back. Turn towards your partner, putting yourself into his guard.

This works about 50/50 for me. Granted, I'm still a noob, so it may be a better/worse counter than I realize.

Chemist

Posted On:
    1/30/2005 7:51pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, besides shut up and go to class, I'll try to tell you what I've been doing to keep myself out of armbars, from one newb to another........

1) an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, IOW: DON'T PUT YOUR ARMS OUT THERE!!!!! Keep your hands and elbows inside close to your chest/neck area as a general rule of thumb when in an inferior position

2) when getting armbarred: keep your head ducked and get it between the legs so you can get back into guard

3) while your opponent is attempting the armbar: clasp your arms together, the closer the better ie grab both elbows, BUT this will hardly work if the armbar is locked in, unless you are very strong it is only a matter of time (as you have probably noticed)

4) get yourself turned around so you're north/south and stack, this also doesn't have a high probability if your opponent is limber, something I do when stacking like this is grab their lapel, but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Posted On:
    1/30/2005 7:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blindgod
    Why do you ask?
    Just wondering

Host-Personal Defense TV

Posted On:
    1/30/2005 8:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpan Scientist
    Just wondering
    Ditto

Posted On:
    1/30/2005 8:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a description of pretty much the only armbar counter I use and I use it from any position.

Let's say the guy has my right upper arm controlled. I put my right hand on my left bicep and wait for him to throw his top leg over my head. I catch the back of his knee with my left hand, straighten my left arm and pull my right arm free.

Host-Personal Defense TV

Posted On:
    1/30/2005 8:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A few principles:

From inside someones guard, try to control his hips. Do not let them have free movement. If you extend your arms for whatever reason keep your pinkies pointed toward his head, but try not to extend your arms.

If in danger of an any armbar pull arms into your core, that is the strongest arm position and almost impossible for him to pull the arm out.

Always maintain a upright settled posture while in guard. Always be conscious of your base and balance.

If you work on these little things, the counters will come.
    Last edited by bushi51; 1/30/2005 8:12pm at . Reason: spelling

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2005 8:08pm

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't train anywhere for TKD currently. Just on my own.

As for BJJ, I just started and I don't think anyone wants to take credit for me. At least not yet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2005 9:07pm

Style: taido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Along with JohnyS's escape here are 2 more if you have already been caught in the armbar.
    1) instead of clasping your wrists together in between his legs have your free hand go under his bottom leg (the one closer to your dick) . then bridge up and rotate your body with the free shoulder going skyward and voila! your head has gone under his bottom leg and you've got side mount on him. easy as that. just a matter of timming the hand clasp.
    2) same as above but your free arm goes under the top leg (the one closer to your other brain). This time sit up and scout your hips out and you are free.

One piece of advice for all situations with an armbar that i think is real important. Is to wiggle and keep the angle of pressure off your elbow. that is don't let your thumb point to the ceiling brotha'.

Hope this helps a bit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2005 9:08pm

Style: taido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh, and keep your shoulder away from his crotch. another DUH!

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/31/2005 12:06am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by saku39
    Along with JohnyS's escape here are 2 more if you have already been caught in the armbar.
    1) instead of clasping your wrists together in between his legs have your free hand go under his bottom leg (the one closer to your dick) . then bridge up and rotate your body with the free shoulder going skyward and voila! your head has gone under his bottom leg and you've got side mount on him. easy as that. just a matter of timming the hand clasp.
    2) same as above but your free arm goes under the top leg (the one closer to your other brain). This time sit up and scout your hips out and you are free.

One piece of advice for all situations with an armbar that i think is real important. Is to wiggle and keep the angle of pressure off your elbow. that is don't let your thumb point to the ceiling brotha'.

Hope this helps a bit.
    #1 sucks
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast