Sponsored Links Spacer Image

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 10:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA is, like any sport, a test of of the physical and mental will of one human being versus that of another. The primary difference is that the martial arts expose this struggle of the will in its most naked form; there are no balls or bats or arbitrary rules or teammates. Because of the bare minimum of interference, what you are seeing is sportsmanship in its purest form. The physical pain endured by each blow is but a metaphor for the fraility of mankind. To be struck is to understand the depths of human sorrow, to gaze into the eyes of all those who faltered before you, but to not yield is to understand the strength that lies within each and every one of us.

Give them that exact speech, word for word. Be sure to give each and every syllable the doe-eyed sincerity it deserves, and conclude it with a heil while shouting "TRIUMPH DES WILLENS!"

Edited by - boyd on February 17 2003 21:08:01
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 10:05pm

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did someone say "cock"?

"Go cry about it Vargas. Aren't you late for your shift at McDonald's?"
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 10:27pm

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't worry Boyd, because 'I'm doing my part!'

I wonder, how many people on this forum have actually seen that movie?

"Go cry about it Vargas. Aren't you late for your shift at McDonald's?"
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    2/18/2003 12:28am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Care to elaborate?
    Its a bunch of people crowded around a small ring/cage watching two people fight until one can't continue (either through being KO'd or submission)

People talk about 'the science of boxing' and about how grappling can be 'like a chess match'. You can dress things up in fancy terms but at the end of the day its still the same thing.

Man is an agressive hunter. We like to watch and particpate in violent events.

--------
    What would happen if a one hand clapper attempted to stop a tree falling in the woods when no one else was around?
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Posted On:
    2/18/2003 1:31am

Style: non

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    by cock fight or you talking about chickens or two man waving their cock around seeing who's cock is better?

"A California man has been taken to court for stalking Anna Nicole Smith. The man has been charged with invasion of privacy, illegal trespassing, and having really bad taste."-Conan

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    2/18/2003 1:44am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I say go with the whole cockfight thing, it worked for the first UFC's!!!

So how long do you think it'll take IGBJJ to jump in and de-rail this thread?

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"
    -Ghandi

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2003 3:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought of trying to explain that MMA isn't just some cockfight
    To conclude I'd like to just say its their choice to make, nobody makes them watch anything - and that a fanbase is required to make money, and to a uneducated fan its more spectacle than sport.
    I think your only successful approach will be to avoid trying to prove anything about MMA and try to work around the issue instead. I say this because I think just like in your second quote above, people already know what they think about the subject.

Trying to discuss that it's not a cockfight to someone who already thinks it is, is like trying to discuss religious alternatives with a born-again Christian. You can't, because they already *know* what they believe, *know* that they're right, and *know* that you're wrong.

8t88
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12