Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 7:55pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in a Highschool Speechclass, and I have no ideas right now... but then I thought of trying to explain that MMA isn't just some cockfight to everyone (I DID tell I'm into it during our intoductory "ThisiswhoIam" speech). I just wanted a few strong points to ephasize, and a few things I may not think of. I've already thought of pointing out how little they know about it, that its actually safe, it requires some requesite intelligence, a LOT of training and conditioning, and that class and respect matters a LOT (look at the Tito haters). One thing I'm a bit scared of doing would be pointing out how W.Silva is a nice guy out of the ring, even though he's damn near dealy IN the ring.

To conclude I'd like to just say its their choice to make, nobody makes them watch anything - and that a fanbase is required to make money, and to a uneducated fan its more spectacle than sport.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 7:58pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do a compare and contrast to boxing. That's always a good one

Go away I'm talking to myself

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 8:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think for a refreshing change of pace you should skip the attempt to make MMA resonate with their bourgeois suburban values. Challenge what they believe on a FUNDAMENTAL level.
    You could also look at MMA as the ultimate insider's sport. The technique laboratory that others might find boring but which is actually exciting on many levels to knowledgeable viewers.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 8:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Second that exposure of Bullshido.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 8:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a bit afraid of showing them some of the idiots on the forums here

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 8:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought of trying to explain that MMA isn't just some cockfight to everyone
    Just tell them the truth: either it IS a cockfight, or it's a test of ability and effectiveness of various techniques in a real-life self-defense situation. Which is it?

To conclude I'd like to just say its their choice to make, nobody makes them watch anything - and that a fanbase is required to make money, and to a uneducated fan its more spectacle than sport.
    Here is where your argument breaks down; I doubt many people would approve of the legalization of public swordfights and gladiator-matches, so the question becomes mainly where you draw the line.

And who says you have to make money, if the event is for testing purposes? Many martial arts tests allow public viewing; however when you make it a spectator-sport, the money becomes an end in itself, and the purpose of guaging proficiency or promoting excellence, becomes secondary or irrelevant.

If is intended for accomodating exhibition to the general public, then the public interest must be considered when deciding whether it should be made legal.

Likewise, if people are paying to see it for entertainment instead of for educational reasons, then it IS something of a human cockfight, and so the impact on public attitudes must be considered before choosing to sanction it for public viewing must be. Regulation boards might believe such an event could certainly promote behavior and values of barbarism and anarcy among the populace, lowering the respect for human life and dignity-- regardless of what you may believe to the contrary. Since they're hired by the people to represent their interests according to established laws and policies, then it's their job to uphold standards of decency and morality without infringing on anyone's rights-- this is the difference between the US and third-world nations like Brazil where anything goes.

Since no one's stopping you from going at it in a private club or on pay-TV, however, then it's not like anyone's Constitutional rights are being violated.

So which is it-- testing or spectacle? If it's a spectacle, then the state may impose strict rules and regulations to uphold community standards.

Edited by - dansevering on February 17 2003 19:27:44

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 8:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone promise to behave :)

--------
    What would happen if a one hand clapper attempted to stop a tree falling in the woods when no one else was around?
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 8:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, I'll be-HAVE, baby-- but no promises! :D

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 8:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone who claims that MMA are spectator sports of the uncivillized is pretty much spouting crap. Use Japan and its attitude towards the sport as example and enlighten them that such claim is a myth, based only on perception of a particular cultural filter. If the sport brings out the worst in spectators it's probably has more to do with the spactators and their cultures rather than the nature of the sport itself.

Also, compare statistical facts between the dangers associated with boxing and American football and you will see that these two sports are far more dangerous and even barbaric than MMA. In addition, American Football and even sport entertainment like fake wrestling tend promote and encourage more negative social attitudes/behaviors such as uncontrolled agression, unsportsmans-like conducts, lack of respect and inter-sex violence (wrestling guys beating up on girls isn't uncommon). Thus, anyone who claims that MMA promotes negative social traits is pretty much being a hypocrite when American mainstream sports and entertainment are doing far worse in this department.

People like to make comparison between MMA and Coliseum combats and thus is uncivillized and barbaric. Yet in the past, even ancient Greek (or Rome, I could be mistaken) military didn't see combat sports like Pankration an ideal military practice, but instead a sport that very much resemble modern American Football was the sport that the military had their soldiers practiced in as part of their martial training, not just because of the cultivation of the "team mindset", but also the fact that the level of agression as exhibited in a mob activity tend to be much higher and more destructive - very fitting for breeding barbaric warriors. And look what the modern American society has as one of its most popular sport/spectacle? Yeah, American Football. If anything, a mob sport that encourages and glorifies violence is often the most barbaric sport in nature.

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 9:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is a cockfight.

--------
    What would happen if a one hand clapper attempted to stop a tree falling in the woods when no one else was around?
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast