BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    1/27/2005 11:20am

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Taiho-Jistsu?

Anybody have legit information on Taiho-Jitsu?

From what I've read, it's the Tokyo Police Dept. equivalent of defensive tactics. It is supposed to be heavily Judo influenced. I know at one time cops in Japan had to be active in Judo or Kendo. Not sure if that's still true. Everything I've read also usually mentions how respected and bad ass Japanese Police were (are?).

I have "Japan's Ultimate Martial Art" by Darrell Max Craig and he has a few refrences to Taiho-Jitsu but not a lot of meat. There are even a few pics. The guys are in judogi and protective gear. It looks like they randori with training knives.

Some info here http://ustjf.us/history.html

Anybody got more info?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/27/2005 1:55pm

supporting member
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninPimp
    Anybody have legit information on Taiho-Jitsu?

From what I've read, it's the Tokyo Police Dept. equivalent of defensive tactics. It is supposed to be heavily Judo influenced. I know at one time cops in Japan had to be active in Judo or Kendo. Not sure if that's still true. Everything I've read also usually mentions how respected and bad ass Japanese Police were (are?).

I have "Japan's Ultimate Martial Art" by Darrell Max Craig and he has a few refrences to Taiho-Jitsu but not a lot of meat. There are even a few pics. The guys are in judogi and protective gear. It looks like they randori with training knives.

Some info here http://ustjf.us/history.html

Anybody got more info?
    There are guys in my area that do it, or claim to. I don't know, I've never been. Here is the link to the school and their affiliates:
    http://www.homestead.com/senidojo/Homepage.html

I t said somewhere that they teach judo so I went to check it out when I moved to the area, as I did judo at the time. There was just the instructor there, working out and strectching, etc.

I talked for a minute and he asked me to stay and see where I was at. So I did some ukemi and solo drills and he kind of stood in back and did some kind of kempo kata that he said was their style and something or other. He wasn't too clear. He told me my ukemi stunk. (It might have been a little sloppy, but I never hurt myself falling, so it couldn't have been that bad.

Anyway, they seemed to teach, or claim to teach about 5 different things and weren't clear on what was what, or what was combined, etc. Kind of booty. And the guy was kind of a dick. And seemed to want to just get me to sign up and do the kempo-y goodness with him, but I wanted a judo class, which they said they offered. Bait and switch. So the place in Western Mass. was bunk, at least that dude was. The art may be the **** for all I know.

Here is another link with lots of articles: http://www.usjujitsu.net/info/us_taiho_jutsu.htm
    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    1/10/2009 9:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Up from the dead arose my thread.

I'm hoping MTripp has some info. His mentions it along with hardcore Aikido. Any relation?

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    1/11/2009 2:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why don't you PM Coach and have him contribute to this thread?

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    1/11/2009 1:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did, so maybe he'll post when he can.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    1/11/2009 5:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem is so many jerk off's over here have taken these names for bull **** systems.

First, I trained at the Tokyo Police Academy with their judo guys. I might not have the insight for the average cop as opposed to these guys. But all of them did Judo and they were hard core.

"Aikido", "Taiho-jutsu", or "Rensoho" to them, was simply an addition to their Judo skills. They were and are ways to immobilise and restrain a violently resisting person.

Now, it is not about "joint locking" because "pain compliance" either doesn't work (they don't feel it), or they work too well (they break the joint). Its about getting them down, imobilised, cuffed, searched, then transported.

The key to it however is breaking the "Judo habit." Officers were being stabbed when they grabbed the bad guys in a judo grip. Also, throwing someone face up means they can draw and use a weapon.

As such, seizing the arm and getting them face down asap is the core of what happens.

More if you wish.....

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    1/11/2009 8:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you sir! And I definitely wish for whatever more you feel like typing.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    1/12/2009 8:09am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, grabbing the fingers or the thumb was the first move. Or striking them in the face so their hands would come up then you would grab a wrist.

The arm was pulled away from the body. They showed plainly that the further extended your arm is from your boy, the weaker you are.

There were a few basic sweeps to off balance, but they were followed by pulling that arm and doing kind of a "snap down" to plant him face down.

From there you could do a few different things to pin and cuff. Interesting to note they were very big on cuffing then searching.