Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/27/2005 10:35pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninPimp
    That's anarobic because there is no way your lungs could keep up.
    Dumbass. Anaerobic conditioning is quick and intense, and happens BEFORE you cross over into the aerobic threshhold. When you cross back from the aerobic threshhold into anaerobic training again, that's when your muscles fail and you fall over.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    1/27/2005 10:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TBM: So is that a good thing to do?
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Posted On:
    1/28/2005 2:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What? Doing short burst anaerobic conditioning? Absolutely, especially if you do short bursts in your activity. Most athletes do both anaerobic and aerobic activities in their sport. Wrestlers and Football players (particular linemen and the like, but also running backs who sprint for the most part) are great examples of athletes who primarily do anaerobic activity, but also need aerobic conditioning to last.

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    1/28/2005 8:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The power boxing was fine, the guy had good form and foot work,
    The punch out seemed pointless.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    1/28/2005 10:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master
    What? Doing short burst anaerobic conditioning? Absolutely, especially if you do short bursts in your activity. Most athletes do both anaerobic and aerobic activities in their sport. Wrestlers and Football players (particular linemen and the like, but also running backs who sprint for the most part) are great examples of athletes who primarily do anaerobic activity, but also need aerobic conditioning to last.
    Good. I usually blitz out at the end of a workout. Hence "punch out"
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/28/2005 10:41am

supporting member
     Style: MMA, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dumbass. Anaerobic conditioning is quick and intense, and happens BEFORE you cross over into the aerobic threshhold. When you cross back from the aerobic threshhold into anaerobic training again, that's when your muscles fail and you fall over.

TaeBo: I confused here.

Anaerobic conditioning is quick and intense, I understand.

But what do you mean by it happening BEFORE crossing over into the aerobic threshold?

And what does crossing back into anaerobic training mean.

As I understood it, it was:

1) aerobic -> anaerobic (less intense to more intense)
    2) muscle failure within anaerobic
    3) anaerobic -> aerobic (more intense to less intense)

:icon_scra :5huh:

Posted On:
    1/31/2005 2:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok. Aerobic means "with oxygen" and anaerobic means "without oxygen". Muscle cells are basically powered by three different energy systems. The first one is the ATP/CP cycle, which essentially uses energy already stored within the cell to power it. This last for only a few seconds and is very intense (heavy weight lifting, a full-speed sprint)... the second is the glycolytic cycle, which essentially uses blood sugar to recreate that stored energy and use it. This last for the first few minutes. After that you get into the oxidative cycle, which uses oxygen. This goes on for the rest of the activity. The first two do not use oxygen, hence they're anaerobic, and are the pathways used in those intense bursts of energy. Hence, the anaerobic conditioning coming BEFORE aerobic conditioning.

You would cross back into anaerobic usage AFTER aerobic when your aerobic capacity is exceeded and you can no longer get sufficient oxygen to your muscles, so you're without oxygen (hence, anaerobic). At that point, you literally have nothing left, since you've exhausted all your available energy pathways, hence why I said you'd fall over.

Make sense?

- The Wastrel

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    1/31/2005 4:38am

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Explain it too a n00b; GENERALISATION: anaerobic conditioning trains explosiveness. Yes or no?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/31/2005 9:30am

supporting member
     Style: MMA, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok. Aerobic means "with oxygen" and anaerobic means "without oxygen". Muscle cells are basically powered by three different energy systems. The first one is the ATP/CP cycle, which essentially uses energy already stored within the cell to power it. This last for only a few seconds and is very intense (heavy weight lifting, a full-speed sprint)... the second is the glycolytic cycle, which essentially uses blood sugar to recreate that stored energy and use it. This last for the first few minutes. After that you get into the oxidative cycle, which uses oxygen. This goes on for the rest of the activity. The first two do not use oxygen, hence they're anaerobic, and are the pathways used in those intense bursts of energy. Hence, the anaerobic conditioning coming BEFORE aerobic conditioning.

You would cross back into anaerobic usage AFTER aerobic when your aerobic capacity is exceeded and you can no longer get sufficient oxygen to your muscles, so you're without oxygen (hence, anaerobic). At that point, you literally have nothing left, since you've exhausted all your available energy pathways, hence why I said you'd fall over.

Make sense?

I think so. Thanks.

It leads to a whole lot more questions.....

Let's say, you were in a boxing match. 3 rounds of three minutes a piece.

Would you blast through the ATP/CP cycle with your first combination or two?

After that, are you in the glycolytic cycle?

Can you pace yourself prolong the glycolytic cycle by limiting your combinations to short bursts?

When people talk of increasing their anaerobic threshold, are the referring to increasing the glycolytic cycle?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/31/2005 11:15am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bean man,

1. These terms don't represent switches to be cleanly turned on and off.

2. The metabolic pathways in question aren't the factors you actually train. They are the systems which *support* the trainable factors. The particular training may happen to *emphasize* one or the other, but don't forget #1!

increasing the glycolytic cycle?
    The question is invalid. It's like saying "Can I make my racecar faster by increasing the track?"

Doesn't really mean anything. This leads me to...

3. Just because an activity happens to emphasize (but no isolate, since you can't do that) a particular metabolic pathway, it still means nothing unless without the a specific context of the musculature you're using...and how.

Does whipping my head from side to side for 3 hours contribute towards my marathoning ability? We're still dealing with continuous muscle activity over the same duration, right? Isn't that doing something for X cycle?

No. Whipping my head back and forth has nothing to do with running.

You train muscles.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast