Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    1/17/2003 8:57pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They share many things in common, and more and more their punching is becoming quite similar, and it was already from the beginning.

But whats the real, practical difference in their strategy and technique? How do boxers clinch if they are restricted to punches and can't clinch in the same aggressive way a thaiboxer can? How do they handle long range, mid range, and short range attacking? Parrying, slipping, bobbing and weaving, footwork, and the like.

Just, what contrasts them, and what do they have in common, as far as practical application. I don't mean something like "boxing has no kicks"... HOW they fight, not what weapons they do or do not use...

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/17/2003 11:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A clinch in MT is offensive. A clinch in Boxing is defensive. You can't strike in the clinch in Boxing but in MT you can still fight. In MT the aggressor can intiate the clinch to gain control of ther opponent and pummel him more, in boxing the guy getting pummel intiates the clinch to stop being hit.

Footwork is different as well moblitiy is more important in boxing that MT. In MT you need a more stable base to throw your attacks from.

______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!

"I love you Asia" - I Give BJJs Posted - December 25 2002 : 10:40:09
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2003 12:51am

Style: Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A clinch in MT is offensive. A clinch in Boxing is defensive. You can't strike in the clinch in Boxing but in MT you can still fight. In MT the aggressor can intiate the clinch to gain control of ther opponent and pummel him more, in boxing the guy getting pummel intiates the clinch to stop being hit.

Footwork is different as well moblitiy is more important in boxing that MT. In MT you need a more stable base to throw your attacks from.

______
    And to add on to that, did you notice the stance a boxer takes as opposed to a Thai Fighter's Stance? In boxing, the body is more sideways reducing the hitting areas, and creating a bit more power in the cross. But a Thai stance is more squared, to allow faster leg-shields and kicks.

As a boxer, to defend against a kick my first resort would be to avoid it. If that is not possible, from my experience most boxers tend to ride the kick. Because of the stance of the Thai Fighter, the leg shield would be the most natural thing to do for most types of kicks. The "shield" made by touching the knee to the elbow, creates almost no openings in the body, and in my opinion is the easiest thing to do.
    In mid-range personally, I think it is the boxer's domain. Thai fighers do not generally slip, and rarely bob and weave(they tend to duck more than bob and weave), they tend to hard block it or push kick to the inside of the shoulder. The boxer's mobility in this range allows him to make openings. (i.e. Slippin under the jab then hooking, as opposed to a block and a push kick.)
    Since I am not an experienced boxer, I have almost no idea what a real boxer would do in close-range. But in Thai Boxing, the natural thing to do would be to initiate the clinch and knee.

BTW, this is all from my experiences and what I have seen as a Thai fighter for more than 7 years.

Remember the time in the 6th grade where you got your ass-kicked by that 80-pound short-kid? Got BJJ?
    <marquee>Thai Boxing: Been kicking your ass since 1949.</marquee>

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/18/2003 4:11am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >Since I am not an experienced boxer, I have almost no idea what a real boxer would do in close-range.

Work the body and keep your hooks in tight. Unless you are killer in close you try to work some distance to land you best blows. If you are on the wrong side of the blows you keep in close so the opponent can't hit hard, hopefully, and try to clinch. Starting the clinch is the most risky part because the opponent can still strike and you are defenseless but once you grab him and hold him he is not allowed to strike, if he does points are deducted and/or he can be disqualified.

______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!

"I love you Asia" - I Give BJJs Posted - December 25 2002 : 10:40:09
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    1/18/2003 6:30am

Style: MMA-Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive heard storeys from Kickboxers and Boxers about how Boxers a long time ago we are talking years ago went to Tland and fought the MT fighters and cleaned house by getting real close where there better hand work had a easy time knocking them out. But now in days Wboxing has been added in to MT to make it stronger. Today if you Took a real good kickboxer and a equal skilled boxer. The kickboxer would win since he has all the tools in the shied instead of just the tool box. Lets look at the fight between Don Frye and That k-1 kickboxer. Lets just say Night Night mr Don Frye. This really dosnt prove much but it shows that this could be the case now. Even though Don Frye is past his time in Pride and K-1. He is a GREAT figher and i Respect him. You never know if the fight between Don Frye and the Kickboxer was in a MMA event instead of the K-1 i am thinking with Don fryes dirty boxing skills he would have prehaps won. But thats another story in all.
    Once a fighter, Always a fighter. Shawn
    -Styles i train in-
    Judo
    Bjj
    Mtkickboxing
    Western boxing
    Wrestling

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    1/18/2003 4:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So how do the thai's handle the midrange? Long range they can kick... and up-close they will clinch. As far as I know boxing and muay thai have similar techniques, but the thais obviously are not limited to punching. What do they do? Move in closer and clinch? Use that thigh-level roundhouse?

Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Posted On:
    1/18/2003 6:51pm

Style: MMA-Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They punch LOL
    Once a fighter, Always a fighter. Shawn
    -Styles i train in-
    Judo
    Bjj
    Mtkickboxing
    Western boxing
    Wrestling

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    1/18/2003 8:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uh, DETAILS? What are the tactics/strategy used?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2003 10:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was watching some matches with my Instructor Kru Vut, they don't really use curved punches(hooks & uppercuts). They tend to go for some quick jabs and a wild cross. And as far as the kicks go, I tend to step out, to achieve maximum power for my leg kicks.

I tend to slip punches when I know the other person is more of a puncher,body clinch, and knee the legs. The only problem with this is the Knee/Kick will hit with so much more impact to your head. The safest thing would be to hard block the punches then come in for the clinch.

Remember the time in the 6th grade where you got your ass-kicked by that 80-pound short-kid? Got BJJ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2003 10:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW, the knee to the leg is one of the most viscious things in Thai Boxing. When you hit the right spot, your opponent can barely move their leg.

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast