Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/26/2005 5:06pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You do not have enough arm to reach up and around to his opposite collar. The best you might do is to grab his right ear and twist real hard. And even if you do have monkey arms he is going to feel you trying to sit up and he can either press back and crush you again, or lean forward out of your reach.

Trust me on this. It's a strong pass.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    1/26/2005 5:14pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh ok, he is a lot higher on your body than I was thinking.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    1/26/2005 5:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see,
    He must eventually commit one of hsi arms to freeing his leg and in doing so, he is commiting his bodyweight to that direction, why not slip out from the guard while pushing/positiong yourself to take his back ?

Here is what I am seeing:
    He has his left arm at your left arm pit, his right leg is ttapped and his left is underneath him, more or less, his left side/left rear side is on your stomach/lower chest.
    As he tries to press your legs at your thighs to lossen a bit so he can slip out his captured right leg, he has to lean/**** his weight to that direction, you then:
    with your free right hand push at his back in the direction he is leaning, with your left arm/hand press away his left arm/shoulder, all the while releasing your half guard and slip your legs out from under him and either take his back, or slip back into a full guard or, a north-south with your chest to his back, etc...

Bare in mind you MUST get get his body going away from yours, basically "shrimping" ( is that thr right word?) out of his passing attempt.

Or am I totally off base here?

Posted On:
    1/26/2005 5:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pics or video please

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/26/2005 5:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin69
    He must eventually commit one of hsi arms to freeing his leg and in doing so, he is commiting his bodyweight to that direction, why not slip out from the guard while pushing/positiong yourself to take his back ?
    You will be helping him towards the N/S position. He has both his arms free to block your legs. Keep in mind almost ALL his weight is on you, crushing your chest. Simply pushing away won't do it. You have to unlock your legs. And when you do unlock your legs he is free to take side control or take advantage of your shrimping into N/S.

As he tries to press your legs at your thighs to lossen a bit so he can slip out his captured right leg, he has to lean/**** his weight to that direction
    Actually no. His weight goes in the opposite direction, towards your head. He pushes and the force goes in the opposite direction. And really he will only be pushing with his right hand. His left elbow will be tucked tightly to the other guys hip or basing out.

But once again, when you push you can't push very far without opening your own legs, and in effect giving him the pass.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    1/26/2005 5:36pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, I thought the whole point was that the half guard WAS gonna be passedm you just wanted to be in a better position to counter when it is passed.

Also, if SO much of his bodyweight is on you, why would a "upa" type move NOT work ?

Again, we are not talking about keeping the half guard, but counter the pass attempt by putting ourselves in a better position to do so.

Right?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/26/2005 5:38pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just stick to punching people.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    1/26/2005 5:42pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I give up on the guard too easily.

Anything to get back up to hitting people in the face.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    1/26/2005 5:43pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll work on it tonight, I think I am not appreciating the weigth distribution factor enough.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/26/2005 5:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes Ronin, the oopah is where you need to go for the sweep on this kind of pass. But HOW you do it is what I described in my first couple of passes. I also indicated that it is risky and much harder than being held in a traditional half guard.

Part of the equation is not giving up the pass easily, meaning fight like hell to keep it and avoid him getting under your armpit. Another part is how you can sweep, using oopah and the inherent risks involved. The final part of the problem is what to do in case he does pass from here.

In effect, the shrimping suggestion is what you would do once he does pass. What Ritchie was askin is what to do in the first part of the equation, and was there anything he missed - possibly an easy solution. Unfortunately there are no easy solutions from this position.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast