Sponsored Links Spacer Image

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    1/27/2005 6:29pm

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    My personal views for overall training? Get a 40+lb heavybag and do sandbag exercises, best thing you'll ever need for grappling. My buddy Rito was big into BJJ and all he did was work out with a seabag (the big green duffel bags the military uses) filled with sand, and he was as strong as a bear for his size.

Just my thoughts, however :thumbsup:
    What'd he do, wrap it in 100 mile an hour like hell at the end of that sucker?
    Who, for Pete’s sake! Is opposing science? In fact, we want MORE science by CRITICALLY ANALIZING the evidence-Connie Morris, Kansas State BOE (bolding and underlining part of original quote, red is my emphasis)

As long as you try to treat your subjective experiences as if they were objective experiences, you will continue to be confounded by people who disagree with you.-some guy on an internet messageboard

Genius

Posted On:
    1/27/2005 6:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reduce your reps to 6-8 and keep it to 2 or 3 sets. Use compound movements and heavy resistance. You'll be bench-pressing cars in no time.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." – Voltaire.

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    1/27/2005 7:39pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there was a study released a couple months ago that stated that many people don't get results in the gym because they don't lift enough weight. i haven't been able to see the primary literature for some reason, so all i have been able to see is how various people have interpreted that data. but in a very simplified way (ignoring prevalent muscle fiber types in the prime movers of different lifts), the study suggests that if you are not lifting at least 60% of the 1RM, then you are not stimulating your muscles enough to get a gains in strength or size.

granted, the study had a small sample size...

the abstract follows:
    The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research: Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 324–327.

Self-Selected Resistance Training Intensity in Novice Weightlifters
    Stephen C. Glass

Human Performance Laboratory, Grand Valley State University, Allendale, Michigan 49401
    Douglas R. Stanton

Human Performance Lab, Wayne State College, Wayne, Nebraska 68787

ABSTRACT

Glass, S.C., and D.R. Stanton. Self-selected resistance training intensity in novice weightlifters. J. Strength Cond. Res. 18(2):324–327. 2004.—The purpose of this study was to determine the intensity of self-selected weightlifting exercise in untrained men and women. Thirteen men (age = 19.5 ± 1.9, height = 70.0 ± 2.4 in., weight = 174 ± 20.1 lb, % fat = 14.3 ± 6.7) and 17 women (age =18.7 ± 1.0, height = 64.9 ± 2.3 in., weight = 135.4 ± 22.8 lb, % fat= 23.4 ± 4.7) who were novice lifters completed seated bench press, leg extension, seated back row, military press, and biceps curl. Following self-selection trials, subjects' 1 repetition maximum (1RM) was assessed for each lift. Results showed that for both genders, self-selected loads were all below 60% 1RM. All lift intensities were similar for men and women (range = 42–57% 1RM). Repetitions completed and rating of perceived exertion responses were not different between gender. Results show that subjects do not select a lifting intensity sufficient to induce hypertrophic responses and subsequent strength increases.

Key Words: exercise prescription, strength training, % 1RM

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/27/2005 7:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PO9
    What'd he do, wrap it in 100 mile an hour like hell at the end of that sucker?
    Basically. He went down to Del Mar beach and just filled that sucker with sand and weighed it with a cheap bathroom scale till he got it where he wanted then did a variety of different exercises with it. There's a good sandbag course I found a while back I'll be posting soon, close to what he was doing. Simple but it worked wonders, he was an animal after just a few months of that.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/27/2005 7:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by keinhaar
    Koto,

You are quite likeable, though.
    At least over the Internet :thumbsup:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/27/2005 9:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and how!

Too sick and broken to train

Posted On:
    1/27/2005 11:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    God, you people just can't agree.

For the moment, I am going to up the weight, and maybe lower the reps slightly.

AFAIK, my form is proper, and I was generally doing a tad less weight on some things for a greater range of motion without sacrificing form. Question: Is the weight or the range of motion, within reason, more important? Obviously, it's dumb to use like 95% of my 1rm and move it like like 3 inches for reps.

And I changed my mind about flyes. I only added them a couple days ago, and I noticed in my dressage lesson that a whole different spot was sore from when I was just benching, and it was only sore during sitting working/extended trot, which use one's core in general a lot more, because you have to maintain erect posture and a flat back, while absorbing a huge amount of the horse's motion through just your hips. My sitting extended trot is my weakest spot, albeit on a really bouncy horse, and it needs to get better in order to do well on my level II tests. So, anything that makes something sore that I'm using during the sitting trot is a keeper. Heh, I'll bet nobody has any idea what I just said.

Noticed that I missed some things in earlier posts: Piz, yes, that's what I do the three days a week that I hit the gym.

What difference does my gender make, for training, honestly? I'm still mostly human, depending on the time of month. :5bullwhip Regardless, of how I train, I bulk up too damn easily, and I've long since resigned myself to not having a particularly girlie figure. I get man-shoulders doing fucking BWE's. :XXbazooka to my genetics.

Additionally, I still have two more questions: Are pullups the only way to add upper body pulling-type movement? They make my screwed up shoulder pop annoyingly. Other than various other types of situps, how can I improve my core work?

The kick cartwheels things sound basically about what scissors are, but on the ground instead of horseback. Is it more of an arabeqsue-to-handstand movement than a cartwheel? I would make a vid to see if I was doing them right if you weren't all sickos that would enjoy it too much. :)

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/28/2005 12:05am

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Deadlifts, rows, Lat Pulldowns. They'll all do the same as Pullups.

Your sex means you have less testosterone and different musculature than a man does.

The 1rm and heavy weight are for pure hypertrophy purposes only. It'll help stimulate your CNS to recruit more fibers to push more weight. The range of motion is moot for this purpose. This has to be supplemented by sets, mixing both into your workouts overtime is the best for achieving more power.

Posted On:
    1/28/2005 2:19am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *bzzzt* wrong again. Heavy weight for very few repetitions is NOT primarily working hypertrophy. Yes, you will have some muscle growth, but hypertrophy comes faster with high volume training. Look at bodybuilder routines. Lots of exercises, lots of volume.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    1/28/2005 2:21am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, I don't know what fucked up way YOURE doing deadlifts, but when you do them properly, there's no real pulling with the upper body involved. A properly done deadlift works the legs, the glutes, the spinal erectors, and the forearms, in that order. (Forearms only because you're holding heavy weight)
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast