Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/27/2005 3:11am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My 5*5 answer was a generic rep scheme.
    Please share what she should do instead since you say that is not the way.
    Pyramiding?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/27/2005 3:35am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CT is on the right path. 5x5 is not the kind of intensity or volume she needs this early in her training. She won't progress very quickly that way. She'd be better off at 2 x 10-15 for the time being.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/27/2005 7:57am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't know CC was a woman :P TaeBo's more on the right track then, what TBM recommends is good for women.

Posted On:
    1/27/2005 9:14am

Style: BJJ/Judo/HapKiDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TBM power lifters work for maximum weight, not dynamic speed. True they are trying to get all the fibers to contract together, but generally they are not working power cleans, or speed type bench presses like a wrestler.
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/27/2005 9:29am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More important than anything any of the testosterone filled studs have said in here is this Can Chaser...

Form is more important than weight. If you sacrafice form, lower the weight, pretty simple, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    1/27/2005 11:00am

supporting member
     Style: Chop Socky

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    leg-unders: starting from the pushup position, kick your right leg under your left and post it, while raising your left hand. Reverse. I know this has a more generally accepted name, but not what it is.

kick-cartwheels: Starting from the kicked out position (right leg under, weight on left leg and right arm) do a cartwheel; end up in the opposite position (left leg under, weight on right leg and left arm). Harder to describe, I guess. Experiment if this isn't clear.
    I would liken it to the boxing or the muay thai of internal kung fu, even though that's like calling apples the oranges of the apple world. --WalkOn

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/27/2005 11:30am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Woman routines"....muscle sculpting....dynamic speed....explosive ANYTHING in the weight room (unless the lift IS your sport)....reps and sets neccesarily implying something about intensity....

I blame Koto for this rennaissance of retardation (except Anthony).

Other than skipping a major muscle group, her original routine was FINE (I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt when it comes to proper form, cadence, and intensity).

It's invalid to criticize any rep scheme while missing the context of cadence. Her 12 reps might equal the duration of my 5.
    Last edited by Nid; 1/27/2005 11:42am at .

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/27/2005 4:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by keinhaar
    I blame Koto for this rennaissance of retardation (except Anthony).
    All I did was agree with PizDoff (not knowing she was female) and tell her to do some gripwork to help out her grappling game. I can definitely see how that was all my fault *rolls eyes*

And for the record, many female powerlifters use the 5x5 system to good effect. A friend of mine is dating an amateur female powerlifter and she began using the 5x5 system and now is using singles. She warms up with 160lbs and weighs a little over 135. If strength is what she's after, the 5x5 system could still do quite well for her.

It's invalid to criticize any rep scheme while missing the context of cadence. Her 12 reps might equal the duration of my 5.
    Fair enough, but most sets of 12-15 with moderate weights are more for size and not strength, hence why the Super Squats routine and many others use higher reps for hardgainers.

For pullups, you can start off with flex-arm hangs like they do in the Marine Corps. Men have to do dead hang pullups, but women do the flex-arm hang to test for theirs so it's a good way to get a good base to start. Simply pull yourself up until your chin is over the bar and hold for as long as you can. Once you can hit 70 seconds, then start working on doing actual pull-ups.

My personal views for overall training? Get a 40+lb heavybag and do sandbag exercises, best thing you'll ever need for grappling. My buddy Rito was big into BJJ and all he did was work out with a seabag (the big green duffel bags the military uses) filled with sand, and he was as strong as a bear for his size.

Just my thoughts, however :thumbsup:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/27/2005 5:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Koto,

You are quite likeable, though.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/27/2005 6:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have one powerlifter at our gym that's a female. She's like She-Ra. She's pretty too. I think she can BP more than me....
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast