Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Too sick and broken to train

Posted On:
    1/26/2005 12:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heeey, I could just endlessly squeeze the little thingeemabobbers that you put on after you put weight on a barbell. You know, those fun little thinggeedoodles ...

Yeah. I'm speshul. Vewwy speshul.

So far, I have lower reps with much higher weight, add bent over db rows, remove flys, stealing my brother's handgrippers. Excellent.

Also: DB power cleans. Not totally sure that I'm seeing that. Does anybody have a vid?
    Last edited by Can Chaser; 1/26/2005 12:20pm at .

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    1/26/2005 12:19pm

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pullups, you need pullups!
    Who, for Pete’s sake! Is opposing science? In fact, we want MORE science by CRITICALLY ANALIZING the evidence-Connie Morris, Kansas State BOE (bolding and underlining part of original quote, red is my emphasis)

As long as you try to treat your subjective experiences as if they were objective experiences, you will continue to be confounded by people who disagree with you.-some guy on an internet messageboard

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    1/26/2005 12:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Chop Socky

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does your Judo coach have you doing bodyweight exercises? Hindu pushups, hindu squats, leg-unders, sprawl drills, any of that? If not, you might want to start. I'll leave the lifting to the lifters. Doing leg-unders and kick-cartwheels (I have no idea what the actual name for these exercises is) will give you a nice core burn, as will crab walking if you keep your hips high enough.

What do you do for flexibility? Yoga, Pilates, calisthenics, anything?
    I would liken it to the boxing or the muay thai of internal kung fu, even though that's like calling apples the oranges of the apple world. --WalkOn

Too sick and broken to train

Posted On:
    1/26/2005 12:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xango
    Does your Judo coach have you doing bodyweight exercises? Hindu pushups, hindu squats, leg-unders, sprawl drills, any of that? If not, you might want to start. I'll leave the lifting to the lifters. Doing leg-unders and kick-cartwheels (I have no idea what the actual name for these exercises is) will give you a nice core burn, as will crab walking if you keep your hips high enough.

What do you do for flexibility? Yoga, Pilates, calisthenics, anything?
    Check, check, whadda? check, and then some. What are leg unders and kick-cartwheels?

For flexibility, I basically do general developmental stretching. I have a background in gymnastics/dance on horseback. Most athletes of that sort are fairly hardcore about stretching.

Posted On:
    1/26/2005 12:26pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would you please describe these two: leg-unders and kick-cartwheels?
    Thank you. Searching did not seem to turn up anything.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/26/2005 4:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agree with Piz on the 5x5, best way to get stronger if that's your goal. I'd recommend pullups like PO9 said and scrap the flyes, they're worthless. TylerDurden has a good idea for the power cleans as well.

You'll probably want to do more grip training than just forearm extensions (which won't do as much for you as a lot of other things). Grip training depends if you're in a gym or at home. If you're working out at home, buy a lot of duct tape and wrap it around your barbell until it's about 2" thick. Use that for your deadlifts (you can also do deadlifts with both palms facing in to work the grip as well). If at the gym, don't fret, still many ways to work out your grip. Try getting a good-sized block dumbbell (one that is relatively square around and heavy enough), then just alternate with your hands, grabbing the sides with just your fingers and not underhooking them so your grip is working hard. You can also try plate pinching. Take two 10lb plates for each hand(start off small) and turn them inboard so the flat sides are both facing outward, then just pinch them together with your thumb and forefinger and see how long you can hold them. You can also grab some heavy dumbbells and do some farmers walks.

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    1/26/2005 11:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're recommending a woman do 5x5s? Dudes, from the sound of things, she's not at a level yet where she should be going for teh so0pur p0w3r.

First off, I'd keep the flyes. Flyes square out the chest and emphasize shape...with all due respect, I'm going to assume that CC would like her workout to be both functional AND aesthetically pleasing?

The pulldowns/pullups are a definite asset.

You haven't specified weights...my recommendation would be to be sure you're using enough weight to make it a real workout. Once you've done your workout, do some skills training...practice your entries, etc.

Oh, I'd add calf raises in there too.
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Posted On:
    1/27/2005 12:07am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I discussed some things with her before hand over MSN Messenger before I suggested 5*5 working sets. Obviously one of them is checking for joint pain and ensuring proper training of connective tissues first.

The 'full-body' workout for now is fine for a beginner lifter, I would recommend splitting the routine apart for a more experienced lifter. By recommend I obviously mean from my readings and online discussions.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/27/2005 12:27am

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Inject some Equipoise, I know you gotta have some laying around somewhere.

If you want to lift heavier, look at my journal, Rodeo Clown.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/27/2005 3:08am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, explosive strength IS power lifter type strength. Second, leave the calf raises out of it, especially with the deviations you've described to me, CC. Finally, yes 5x5 is NOT at all what she needs.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast