Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 1:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "In the real world you will be fighting on tar and broken glass in alley ways. Roling around on broken glass sucks."

Yeh, Id never fight somewhere like a grocery store, school, mcdonalds, blockbuster or another place Im at a lot. To fight, I always search out lava pits and trap doors.

America's express privelage is, blood spillage
    We got more balls than billiards
    Star-spangled banner, soldier stand up
    Cobra commander, stop the propaganda

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 1:23pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol@everything

trap doors WTF, too much Mortal Combat

--

There are only three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 1:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with most of what you say. By the fighting thing I mean putting on pads and doing full contact. JKD does an amazing job with this. Other styles pratice light contact or fixed moves. Even Kenpo that has a great street style in some schools never train for real situations. That is one thing BjJ has. Realistic training. I see alot of you do agree with me and my thoughts as I read more posts. I just looked at a few that sounded like ground fighting is all you need. In UFC it is great because you make some tap out while they can't bite or poke you in the eye. I think I even read somewhere that Bruce Lee talked about biting in some areas. Anyone know more about that? You need to know ground fighting in case youend up there. But there is a bog group of people out there that think the way to fight is to get them on the ground. For a select gifted few this may be true. But for most of us I disagree. It likes watching kwondo on tv. What wins in the sport would not win in real life. I never Recomend anyone kick more them waist high. Thanks for everyones thoughts

Good to see a new contestant. If anyone on here could be considered a pure 'grappler', I guess it would be me. I don't think it's the last word (I'm taking kickboxing classes twice a week now), but it has a lot going for it. The main reason I think people (especially cops) should learn ground-fighting is because you might very well wind up on the ground against your will. It's something you learn as a worst-case scenario. I train with quite a few law enforcement guys and a lot of them have wound up on the asphalt during scuffles with assorted nuts and flakes. Doesn't mean they want to be there, but **** happens.

As for UFC and Pride, if you've watched any of the recent ones, striking is dominating now. I'm sure the pendulum will swing back and forth like it always does, but right now the boxers and Muay Thai guys are winning the fights.

I've seen the 'learn to fight by going out and fighting' arguement before. That's a good way to wind up in either a) jail b) the hospital or c) the morgue. Getting in enough 'real' fights to actually build skill is very risky and not something I'd recommend. Sure, real fights can teach you some valuable lessons. Once you open that Pandora's Box, though, you better be ready for anything that happens.

Like Osiris said, not too many people around here are 100% grappling fanatics. MMA/NHB has quite a few advocates (me included) but there are a lot of different stylists floating around. If I had to state a common philosophy for this board, it would be the JKD "use the effective, discard the ineffective" school of thought. Whatever works, that's the way to go.

"Go cry about it Vargas. Aren't you late for your shift at McDonald's?"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 1:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [We can]t pick where we fight in the real world. I wish we could. But when it happens it happens. we need to be ready.

quote]
    "In the real world you will be fighting on tar and broken glass in alley ways. Roling around on broken glass sucks."

Yeh, Id never fight somewhere like a grocery store, school, mcdonalds, blockbuster or another place Im at a lot. To fight, I always search out lava pits and trap doors.

[/quote]

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 1:32pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kicking more then waist high, another debate
    though not as useful in street fights it has its place and time, if it can be used well

--

There are only three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 1:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [

As those of you that have been in a real fight know a street fighter who tries to take you down is at his most vunrable. This is the best time to contral him with his own force and throw him to the ground with you standing. Street fighters are very sloppy. They use fear to win most fights. If you are ready they loose both the elament of fear and suprise.

quote]
    "But there is a bog group of people out there that think the way to fight is to get them on the ground. For a select gifted few this may be true. But for most of us I disagree."

Go watch a streetfight. If the other person is superior in boxing, then its common sense to take him down. That means for 50% of all people groundfighting is the best choice. For the other 50% its not a choice. They have to engage in it.

[/quote]

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 2:01pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well said
    there are ways to cover up the sloppiness and bad "form" of an untrained combatant

--

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 2:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tl, dr.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 2:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe it is just the area of the world I live in but Fights I have gotten into or friends have it is becasue some puck got his ego bruised and wouldn't let up. I feel fighting is a last resort but once it has started you need to come out on top. Police see huge guys get beaten by little guys because one is not prepared to fight and suprised when it happens. There are some good street fighters out there but most are just bullies. Most show up in numbers. One way police tell people to avoid trouble is walk with your head up and chect out. Thugs attack when the feel you are weak and easy prey.
    Don't be easy prey. Mosttimes the guy attacking you is mopre scared then you are. Not always but alot. I must admit The cops I work with have helped me as much as I have helped them. I didn't know alot of this till training with them. Movies i guess.

"Street fighters are very sloppy. They use fear to win most fights."

You keep thinking that. A lot of the time its mutual combat. Basically a nut hanging contest. The thing is that anyone can be involved in stupid displays of testosterone. Anyone of us could be turned into a raging idiot in front of a girl or friends. Including boxers, wrestlers, bjj guys, karateka, football players and other people who have **** to prove about how tough they are. So dont underestimate your opponent.

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 2:21pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it really is all about the ego and how you look to your "friends"

here is a good website
    http://www.protectivestrategies.com/index.html

specifically this one
    http://www.protectivestrategies.com/victim-selection.html

i noticed i have none of the attributes a "victim" has. Though I am a skinny guy I walk with confidence and a "bring it on" mentality. I am confident of my fighting ability. It seems to show.

--

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast