Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2003 2:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My first NHB tournament...

Hi everyone
    I am fullcontakt TKD black belter, made over 200 fights in TKD (34 KOs), 14-1-1 (9 KO) in amateur boxing and was doing combat sambo for a couple of years. I had some money troubles (lost job, had to pay the rent or sleep on the street), was looking for a job. A friend said me he would have a connection were I could earn some money with fighting and it would be absolutely legal, I thought it would be kind of kickboxing or stuff, because NHB is very difficult to organize in Germany. So I came to an appointment with the organizer. He was a ukrainian immigrant, like me. So he said its cagefighting and it takes place in Maastricht in the Netherlands what is about 100 miles from Cologne were I live, as I heard it I was shocked, 1998 I saw an event in Holland and it was terrible bare knuckles no wightclasses, almost no rules. But he calmed me down, it were the normal MMA rules with grappling gloves and three wightclasses, I would get 300 Euro for the fight (=300$). I was thought about it a couple of moments, i am verry good at standup and not a child of sadness if have to beat up people, but I haven't done grappling for years, I !know! groundfighing and I !know! some submissions but I don't practising it any more, but I needet money. So i thought I will try to fight standup and if I will come in trouble on the ground I'll tapout (not realy man'slike but I had fear).
    The event took place 7th january, on the orthodox christmas. As I came to the place first surprize: I had to buy the gloves 40Euro, I thought Ok I will sell it at ebay after, second surprize: its not a single fight but an 8-man Tournament, two rounds first round 7 min second 5 min, 300 for a fight plus 500 for tournament win, I thought pooh... Ok I'm in a good cardio shape let's go on, third surprize: my wightclass was up to 80 kg (176 lbs) there were 8 man on contract, one of them didn't pass the drug test, two were to heavy, so we had to fight 5-man tournament, surprize Nr. 4: I had to start in the 1/4 finals and the others in semifinals. Well I am in the "cage" nervous, the crowd is only drunk fat rich immigrant from former Soviet Union. The announcer spells my name wrong and calls me "ukrainian bear" (I realy don't look like a bear). I am about 1m 85cm (6"1') and 79 kg(174 lbs) my opponent is a muay thai guy a few inches smaller than me. I look at him and skreem loudly like I do it in TKD before fights (It pushes you up, you should try it too), the crowd laughs (mo"§$%&/ckers). The gong rings it goes on. He tries to kick me a couple of times no impact he couldn't hit me, my grandma kicks faster, I give him some light low kicks with the lead leg to see if he shows some reaction, no he's just stands and swallows. I start to understand "this dude has no skills". I start with combinations jab, rear leg low kick, sright right, he swallows. Hmm... jab, right hook, left hook, upercut. He swallows and starts to shake. It was sick he just stands there and does nothing to harm me. I think its not my problem and start to beat the **** out of him, I throw some punches, some kicks to the head press him on the wall give him a few knees several elbows and the towel flies. First NHB win I was kind of lucky, 2 min 40 sec.
    Second fight 40 min later an other muay thai dude, exactly as big as i am. The announcer spells my name wrong again. It begins, I try to strike he is runing away from the strikes not makeking any attempts of counter atacks, I got him into the corner (it was a square cage) I throw some strikes he does some punches and kicks me with his f... knee in my damn balls, the ref stops and gives him a warning. He tried to kick my balls several times after this. The 7 min were over we had a 2 minute break, my coach sais I should try to take him down because if he could grapple he wouldn't only go backwards. It was a good idea, I just run at him and grab his legs he throws a knee in this moment and just misses my face, I throw him on the floor and got in a sidemount he tries to come out, but you could see he was never in in this position before. I quickly go in a fullmount and punch his face, to avoid the punches he somehow roles on his stomach! So i am in a backmount so I grab his head an choke him from behind, he tapes out quickly. It was fun, I KOd people before but I never made a real submission, it was my first. I was in the finals. I could see the fight of my next opponent, he won by armbar submission. I don't know the style he does brobably JJ he was a good grappler. The announcer spells my name wrong, the fight starts. I try to stay in distance to him. Make some single kicks, see he has no stand up skills, so he tries to grabb me a few times but when he comes in my distance I throw a flood of punches and kicks on him. He swallows at least the half of my strikes and becomes slower in his actions. Somehow he manages it to take me down, in a guard position, I cuoldn't hold him tight so he sits eract throws punches at me, after three or four punches he tries to do something with my leg anklesubmission or something, but he wasn't fast enough and I came free. Standup again. I throw a roundhouse kick to the head, heavy impact right to the scull, he falls like a sack of potatoes. The ref stops I won my first NHB tournament and 1400Euro.

It was a great fun to fight there but I am realy disappointet of my opponents, they were rubbish. After all I think you have to be prepared if you go in a MMA fight, unlike my first opponent I could make him disabled for the rest of his life. And I think 1400 bucks for this is too much for this performance. And I don't realy think this event was realy legal.

What expiriences did you guys have whith NHB, and do you think there are a lot of low level "fighters" who try not to fight MMA and only not to be killed.

Bye guys, sorry for the poor english.

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    1/12/2003 5:15am

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great story, and congratulations on winning the tournament!

Also, in NHB, it can be dangerous to show concern for your opponent. He has enough people looking out for him; if his corner men or the referee sees him in trouble, they will stop the fight and he'll be fine. As long as you follow the rules, you shouldn't have to worry about hurting someone else.

It sounds like you're pretty good, if you train grappling more and keep doing well at NHB, you could probably get noticed by someone who can hook you up with better opponents.

I think there are a lot of low level fighters in MMA as amateurs, often because the organizers have to provide entertainment for the spectators so they'll get someone out of a kung fu school or off the street to fight without any preparation.

Anyway, best of luck, and keep shouting before your matches, no matter what anyone says. They won't laugh after you win.

-------------------------
    Clap your hands everybody,
    if you got what it takes
    'Cause I'm Kurtis Blow
    and I want you to know
    that these are the breaks!
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2003 6:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hi, this is my first post on this forum, so I d like to say hello.
    Hello.
    I have a few questions for you. Where was the fight in Maastricht? Do you have the names of your opponents? who was the promotor? And under which organisation was the tournament?

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    1/12/2003 3:42pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those questions are never answered with seriousness in this forum or should I say entire website?

People are to afraid of being exposed as frauds to their claims of glory.
    I'll make one when I can find one I like.

Posted On:
    1/12/2003 4:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "As long as you follow the rules, you shouldn't have to worry about hurting someone else." incorrect - you'll get hurt if you fight in an MMA tornemnet - almost definitely. Those people are just their for protection of the Fighter.
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    1/13/2003 4:48am

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course you'll get hurt, the point of the sport is to hit each other and go for submissions.

He's talking about getting someone severely injured or disabled, which isn't going to happen with a fighter who can tap out or give up, a ref who can stop the fight before any serious damage is done, and a corner to throw in the towel if the first two don't stop the fight.

Granted, in illegal or low-class events there is less protection like this, but as long as you stop when the ref tells you and don't try to kill someone you're not going to send anyone home with brain damage.

-------------------------
    Clap your hands everybody,
    if you got what it takes
    'Cause I'm Kurtis Blow
    and I want you to know
    that these are the breaks!
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2003 9:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I have a few questions for you. Where was the fight in Maastricht? Do you have the names of your opponents? who was the promotor? And under which organisation was the tournament?"
    I'm not realy familiar with that region but it was outside the town in a cuff near the belgian border, I was brought there by car and we were driven through Ost Maarland or Maurland to come there. There were only fighters whith russian or east european Names (brobably imigrants from former SU), except of two: one guy in the heavyweight was from Holland I think his name was something like Gerret van der BLABLABLA (cann't remember his surname), and my last opponent was from belgium with an arabic name Wahid Aldorsari.
    My first opponents name V. Teriohin (don't know what V. stands for) and the second was Andrey Liwschitz. The name of the guy I talked to was Varterasian, he comes from Odessa in Ukraine and lives in Germany. I don't think it was realy promoted, I think it was a kind of a closed event like I said there were only russians in the crowd no dutch or belgian people, you also couldn't see outside the hall if there was somthing in there. Events name was "rozhdestvenskaya bomba" (russian for xmas bomb). I don't know if it was under any organization, it was only a show for some rich bastards who wanted to see people beating each other. After all I don't think it was completly legal.
    Hope I answerd to your satisfaction.
    ;-)

Titan

Posted On:
    1/13/2003 9:15am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Merc is right.

MMA looks more dangerous than it is, as long as the safety guidelines are followed it's a lot safer than boxing.

Obviously having someone sit on you and continuesly belt you in the face is quite dangerous, but if the ref does his job properly that won't happen.

----------------------------------------------------------
    ”He (Master Bristol) was like a slippery fish. There was no way I could hold on to him.” -- Tomas Shurrman, Judo Expert
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Posted On:
    1/13/2003 6:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People get Knocked out, and generally get hurt - sometimes broken limbs - but yes, it's really fighting just under fairly controlled condidtions - once somone has "won" they could probabaly chose to break the limb, repeatedly strike the KOed guy or continue to beat the TKOed person - but because the fight is usually a firendly, honourable and fair, albeit as violent as possible, it should be broekn up once the "looser" of the fight is unable to continue.

In boxing, especially in the UK, fights are stopped quite quickly after the one of the oppnenets is obviously loosing, and unable to continue. You generally won't see somone beaten badly i.e if someone is hit alot without giving back the fight will be stopped pretty quickly.

But I agree that overall i spsort fighting, the refree and corner men try to make it so that their fighter aren't killed or permanently injured whenever possible. A danger of fighting (sport or not) is death, Sport Fighter risk their lives (at least to a certain extent) every time they step into the ring or cage.
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    1/16/2003 12:30am

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to see what happens when inexperienced guys get involved in pro-NHB, read the "Kung Fu in KOTC" thread. I found out much later that the kid that got knocked out actually seized right there in the ring. Not pretty.

Edited by - Vargas on January 15 2003 23:31:46
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast