Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 11:12am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Takedown defense

I'm a relative newcomer to the site, but I noticed that anybody who claims to have 'the anti-grapple' gets bagged on pretty hard by the BJJ guys, most of them saying there's no such thing.

I can totally see why, because if some KF or karate guy is practicing 'the anti-grapple' vs. other KF or karate guys, a BJJ guy's takedowns are going to eat their lunch. And before I get lit up with flames, I don't think I have 'teh anti-grapple' and know that you better get some grappling training if you don't feel like getting your ass handed to you.

But after watching some of the more recent UFC's (46-48), it seems to me that some of the guys who prefer standup managed to spend a fair amount of time off the ground.

My question is for the BJJ guys on the board--do you really think a good takedown defense is possible? Is it possible to train a great deal on takedown defense and give a guy a real hard time taking you to the ground? And I mean spending time with quality BJJ instructors training takedown defense. I have no BJJ experience, so I really have no clue.

I'm planning on cross-training in BJJ after a while, and I wanted to see if you guys thought this was a valid idea or not. Of course, I would also spend time training my ground game, but I wanted to emphasize takedown defense, since I'm more of a striker.

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 11:20am

Style: BJJ/Judo/HapKiDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually if you want to learn take down defenses you need to work with wrestlers and judoka not bjj'ers. Yes it is possible to learn take down defenses. People make fun of the anti grapple because too many stand up schools claim they have these fool proof defenses that have never been tested against people who really know take downs.

BJJ is not focused on take downs, or even on take down defenses really. We want to be on the ground. If you want to sprawl and brawl you need to find either a good wrestling coach or a good judo school.
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 11:22am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cro cop is a great example of a striker staying standing. But by his most recent fight we must acknowledge that he has been training teh grapple.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 11:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden
    Actually if you want to learn take down defenses you need to work with wrestlers and judoka not bjj'ers. Yes it is possible to learn take down defenses. People make fun of the anti grapple because too many stand up schools claim they have these fool proof defenses that have never been tested against people who really know take downs.

BJJ is not focused on take downs, or even on take down defenses really. We want to be on the ground. If you want to sprawl and brawl you need to find either a good wrestling coach or a good judo school.
    Good to know, thanks.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 11:23am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only way to develop a good takedown defense is to be taken down many, many, many times. Experience is the best teacher.

There are very few techniques availible to avoid a takedown, it mostly comes down to awareness and experience. There are 2 main schools of thought among the successfull anti-grapplers. One is the sprawl and brawl and the other is the willingness to take punishment in order to stand back up. CroCop would be an example of the first, and Chuck Lidell would be an example of the second.

But its almost a sure thing that you need a good wrestling background these days to be a good anti-grappler. CroCop is the more of the exception than the rule.

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 11:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CroCop might not have an extensive wrestling background. But he trains sprawling and escaping like a mad man. And you can bet one of his coaches has a strong wrestling back ground.

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 11:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To know the dark side one must be exposed to the dark side, embrace it, become one with it, then and only then, we he be able to overcome it.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 11:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you saying to train with weapons?

Okay, got it!
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 11:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin69
    To know the dark side one must be exposed to the dark side, embrace it, become one with it, then and only then, we he be able to overcome it.
    That's kind of the plan.

So would it be possible to get some good takedown defense training at an MMA school? For example, at the school I've linked below? I figured that most of these types of schools would incorporate a lot of takedowns since that's where you want your fighters to be--on the ground.

http://www.austinjj.com/

Thanks for the input.

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 11:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lightsaber, the ultimate take down defense.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast