Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/11/2008 2:10pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need to ignore the rank issue since the kempo you study has messed up your knowledge,

Gi=Japanese Creation.
    Belt Ranks as you describe= Japanese Creation.

Yes, I know what the supposed Shaolin Monks are depicted wearing those are not judogis.

Oh and read Cyril's post.

Also, back to the topic at hand. The question was is this school bullshido or McDojo or both.

You said you would provide help to the Tibet question please do.
    Also, where do you train since every school I posted is "commercial."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2008 12:31am

Style: The Kempo, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I heard John Campatella was on gorrilla hormones

Posted On:
    8/28/2008 7:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

telling it as i see it.

i studied several different martial arts over the years. starting at age 14 first came goju-ru, next tai-kwon-do and lastly vadha kempo. i want to say off the bat I am not entirely sure of it really coming from tibet, however as a student back in the day i was told that vadha deriving from varamushdi(phonetic spelling ) is supposed to have been a tibetan form of wrestling or empty hand fighting. Wether this is true or not is held to debate.

vadha kempo as i've learned it, employs various concepts of martial practice that can be found in many other styles.. to name a few: arc movement, redirectional arcs, shareer concepts , small circle jiu-jitsu, open hand rip and tear techniques, kata(yes kata the seemingly lost practice of forms) a limited weapons system, punching and kicking knees and elbows are taught in use of sparring fighting etc. and as other systems various drills utilizing scenario based actions. multiple attackers as an example. recently many mma , bjj, concepts have been introduced. same goes for many fighting diciplines these days.

i've found what i learned effective for both street, point tourneys, and now the ring. as far as i know with any style it's more about the fighter and his understanding and utilization of what he is taught that makes his or her style effective or not.

So vadha kempo,regardless of wetheri t's steeped in rich history or not, is as valid a martial system as krav maga, or any other hybrid fighting system. it borrows from karate, mui tai, jiu-jitsu, and even kung-fu as do many other martial systems.

So to all those critics or those that are style loyalists, or haters if you will I have only to say go outside your comfort zone, keep learning and challenging yourself, and curb your anger for it distorts the truth. afterall bruce lee was considered a rebel and outsider when he started breaking away from the traditions of old, and stepped out of the box and teach what he found to be effective.

Posted On:
    10/15/2009 3:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Vadha

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know that this thread is old, I found it while searching for Vadha on the internet as I was interested to get back into it but the only place I found that teaches is far from my home and the website of the place looks nothing like the style I was taught many years ago
    I learned this style and studied it from 1992-1996 and it was taught in a small class with 10 people- as far as it being a "real" style- I believe that it is (do I doubt the history- It is somewhat mythical) I did have the chance to meet the founder who my teacher learned from. Anyway the point of this post- Are there any schools or groups practicing Vadha in the NYC area?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2009 6:23am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Belt Ranks as you describe= Japanese Creation.
    Sort of.

Kano instituted the white/black kyu/dan ranking system.

Colored belts for kyu grades were a later invention for the European market (albeit an invention of a Japanese guy teaching in France in the 1930s) where a display of rank kept kyu grades' interest in the art. Westeners need to be patted on the back more frequently than Japanese students, or they tend to lose their patience and give up. Even now there are only white, blue and black belts in Japan.*

*Edit: (plus red/white and red for 6th Dan up)

Posted On:
    10/16/2009 8:36am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

sure johnny gene isola for one......

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny SI View Post
    I know that this thread is old, I found it while searching for Vadha on the internet as I was interested to get back into it but the only place I found that teaches is far from my home and the website of the place looks nothing like the style I was taught many years ago
    I learned this style and studied it from 1992-1996 and it was taught in a small class with 10 people- as far as it being a "real" style- I believe that it is (do I doubt the history- It is somewhat mythical) I did have the chance to meet the founder who my teacher learned from. Anyway the point of this post- Are there any schools or groups practicing Vadha in the NYC area?
    hey john i trained with tadio , ken pytluck and gene back in those days.
    gene isola still teaches along side terry odonnel you might have heard of them. They are down in tottenville off of ellis street near the train station.

but they are in the back of a large warehouse and in order to train it's by invite only. i am sure there are 1 or 2 other vadha schools floating around but they are the main one i know of that still teach some of the old techniques. like i explained before, much of the training gears towards mma and such but the streetfighting effectiveness is still there. just have to ask to terry. he is the guy to see about some of the older tactics.

hope that was helpful. if u have questions u can reach me at smokeeroom13@yahoo.com my name is gilbert costello.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789