Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 89 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2008 12:06am

Style: 777

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there any contact to the head? How hard is the contact to the body? Is there any protective gear worn? You should probably go check out a class.

Posted On:
    4/11/2008 11:23am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Vadha

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey guys, I joined this site to specifically help out SkateJohn718.. I studied both Vadha Kempo & Traditional Vadha. Im not quite sure what you mean by a McDojo but I think it means a Martial arts school that you pay for and are guaranteed a Black Belt by a certain time period. To help answer your questions about the style, it is not a Mcdojo by those standards then. There was a time when there were a few commercial schools on Staten Island (about 3) and then there was the underground school which was were the people who opened the commercial schools trained out of. The underground schools never gave permission for the store front schools and always frowned upon there ever being a storefront school. The reason the store front schools were unsuccessful is because of the violence involved in teaching the style correctly, therefore people who joined the store front schools never truely learned the stlye. In Vadha Kempo, a black belt is not guaranteed, there are no made up belt colors like you see in TKD or BJJ like purple and orange to generate income for the school.. The school is privately run, and the only way to join the school is through the recommnedation of a student or sensei. When I 1st started studying Vadha- Kempo which was in 1993 it was a mixed form of Traditional Vadha & Kempo karate, over the years the style evolved into a MMA school, but still calls itself Vadha-Kempo.

I also studied Traditional Vadha which does come from Tibet. If anyone would like some info or proof I may be able to assist you with this...

Posted On:
    4/11/2008 12:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also depending on your ability to demonstrate good control over your technique will show how hard your sparring will be.. For example 2 Brown Belts sparring will go full contact to the body, and face contact will be arranged prior to class. For example if your in a career where you cannot show up to work witha broken nose then you will arrange a light contact to the face sparring session with your sparring partner.. If your in construction and want full contact then you can find someone within the class that will spar full contact to the face.. the same thing goes for pads and equiptment,, its completely up to the person, if they want to where pads then they can, but it is not mandatory. Most beginners start out with pads, and most stop using them by the there 1st year into it. most of us do use mouth pieces though....
    Last edited by vadha1; 4/11/2008 12:25pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2008 12:25pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vadha1
    there are no made up belt colors like you see in TKD or BJJ like purple and orange to generate income for the school.
    For example 2 Brown Belts sparring will go full contact to the body...
    What do you mean by "made up belt colors?" Do you mean by this that only White, Brown, and Black are valid belt colors?

If BJJ were trying to create extra rankings to "generate income for the school," you'd think they'd have more than 5 total rankings. Especially seeing as how Judo, the first system to use a belt-ranking system, has 16 total ranks from Rokkyu to Judan. Most traditional karate schools boast 20 ranks, from Jukyu to Judan. TKD is the same way, going from 10th-Geup to 10th-Dan.

Incidentally, what's the ranking system like in Vadha?

--Joe

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/11/2008 12:34pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please tell me your age and time in the arts.

Also, have you studied anything besides Vadha?

The reason I ask is your BJJ comment. Made up ranks? BJJ has 4 lower ranks then, Black Belt. Many schools don't charge for testing. You just receive a new rank during class, after a good showing at a tourney, etc etc etc.

So you are mistaken. Also did I just read you **** on TKD? Well, some of your schools follow the TKD model.

http://www.njvadhakempo.com/stud.htm
    http://www.vadha.com/index.html
    http://www.vadha.50megs.com/photo.html

Wow, these school pics have stripped yellow belts. That sounds familiar. Seriously, just from the pictures I see white, yellow, green, green w/stripe, and yellow w/stripe. Unless you go brown black you have no room to talk about BJJ. Really, with the stripes you can't talk about TKD.

Oh BTW MCdojo Red Flags:

Online Instruction? Check.
    Half Stripes? Check.
    Wonky history? Check.

McDojo isn't necessarily bad.
    Oh and way to support someone almos THREE years later.

Posted On:
    4/11/2008 12:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well tradionally oversees there were no belt colors.. One would simply wear a white belt to hold there gi closed.. Over the years of training that belt would gardually change colors by getting dirty.. One was considered an expert by the time there belt was so dirty that it was Black.. When schools were opening up here in the US most schools would have the normal, White, Yellow, Green, Brown, then Black belt and then a master would wear a red sash..
    The colors would represent experience ie:

White= Purity
    Yellow= enlightenment
    Green= Growth
    Brown= Roots
    Black= Depth & Power

Most commercial schools added colors like Blue, Purple, orange to generate income. They would add these colors and charge students for gradings & ranks, therefore the more ranks = the more money the school would make off of a student.

Posted On:
    4/11/2008 12:45pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im not shitting on any style, just shitting on some commercialized schools within all styles. there were vadha kempo schools that tried being commercial store front schools as well.. In my honest opinion any style is good. NO one style is better then another it all depends on who teaches you as opposed to what style you learn..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2008 12:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Hey, this one's only about a half-an-hour's drive from me. Maybe I'll check 'em out.

--Joe

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2008 12:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vadha1
    In my honest opinion any style is good. NO one style is better then another it all depends on who teaches you as opposed to what style you learn..
    Bullshit.

There's a reason San Shou fighters don't look like classical kung-fu practitioners. There's a reason that Karateka don't chamber their punches in a Kickboxing bout. There's a reason that boxers don't lunge-punch.

There are plenty of styles that are better than plenty of other styles.

--Joe

Posted On:
    4/11/2008 12:56pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To answer your question,, im 32,,, been studying since im 18.. I have a 2nd degree Black Belt in Vadha Kempo,and now have a green belt in Traditional Vadha.. I also wrestled for a few years, I've tried Kung-fu & didnt like it.. I'm not against any stlye, to each there own. For me I'm happy in Vadha. I just don't particularly like schools that rape there students for money.. Both schools I went to were non profit/ private schools with had teachers that taught on there spare time because they love to teach and were not trying to get rich from it.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 89 LastLast