Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2005 9:15am

Style: vadha kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    Hey skatejohn,

Are you going to answer my question concerning proving Vadha's ties to Tibet, or will you make you're life a bit easier by agreeing that Vadha's point of origin is simply unknown or based on an unreliable story.

sorry,just getting a lil' sidetracked. i only know what was told to me by master salvaggio, and to be honest with you i could care less where it came from, next time he's up here i'll set up a mini interview with him (seriously) and see what he can provide. he usually comes up from florida a couple times a year for seminars or visiting family. when i get the info you'll be the first to know if he can't provide proof you'll also be the first to know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2005 9:20am

Style: vadha kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop-Loops
    In multiple styles at that. Not only must your businesses be doing very well for you to afford that (hey, minimum wage doesn't get me far), but you must still be superhuman. You should thank your parents for superior genes.

PL

i already thank my parents everyday, you know the only problem i have in life is dealing with kryptonite! that **** sucks!

Posted On:
    7/20/2005 8:56pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by skatejohn718
    sorry,just getting a lil' sidetracked. i only know what was told to me by master salvaggio, and to be honest with you i could care less where it came from, next time he's up here i'll set up a mini interview with him (seriously) and see what he can provide. he usually comes up from florida a couple times a year for seminars or visiting family. when i get the info you'll be the first to know if he can't provide proof you'll also be the first to know.
    Okay, if Vadha is really Tibetan in origin it should still maintain some Tibetan language, and have some similarities to whatever the Tibetian exile community is doing in Northern India, napal ect. I could probably be even traced back to a certain geographic area or monestary. For example after the PRC opened up its doors to tourism in the 1980s the Wing Chung community in hong kong discovered several related verisons of their art on the mainland.

In other words if there is any shread of Tibetian origin then there should be some traces of it that can be confirmed.

Posted On:
    6/03/2006 5:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am from Staten Island which is where Vadha Kempo started, and it is not a Tibetan Art. A man named John Salvaggio had trained in Vadha (which is supposedly a Tibetan Art!) as well as some other arts and developed Vadha Kempo which I assure you was not a McDojo. There are no comercial dojo's left that I know of, although I do know that some guys still do train. I have NEVER trained in this system, so i can't claim to know everything about it.

I recieved my black belt from Campatella, and I can say that he is an excellent fighter in my opinion. Although opinions ARE like assholes. We train in MMA now, but he received his black belt in Vadha Kempo. My black belt is not from that system but from Campetella's Integrated Self Defense system.

How well would he do if he went UFC again? I don't know, but what I have learned from him has been very useful to me. I have sparred against practitioners of Krav Maga, Muay Thai, TKD, Wrestlers, Vadha Kempo, Boxing, Aikido, and BJJ, and have never been dominated by any of these people and have great success against many of them.

As far as sparring goes it is full contact to the body, buy not the face. We don"t wear head gear, and many of us have careers that frown upon facial bruising.

The Martial Arts are like Protestantism. They aren't all as old as they original, but you can't say that they don't try to follow the same core ideas. I wouldn't discredit a martial art because you haven't heard of it or because it is new. They all had to start at some point where they were new or unheard of. Doesn't change effectiveness.

If you want some sparring movies or pics e-mail me. I just attended a seminar with Rich Franklin teh other night and have pics from that too.

These are some links about Vadha, Vadha Kempo, and John Salvaggio.

http://www.vadha.com/history.htm
    http://www.njvadhakempo.com/history.htm
    http://modernma.com/instructor_bios.html Potenza trained with Campatella

edit: As far as a McDojo, we don't wear belts anymore. We don't have special Gi's for each day of the week, or even wear them. There are no elite status or sparring clubs, or any other money schemes.

If you want to be the judge of the fighting style then contact me, I'll send any media I have, or i will go and make a few movies.. If you live in the NYC area we could arrange a training or sparring session.
    Last edited by louv55; 6/03/2006 5:19pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/12/2006 2:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *************edit

Posted On:
    9/12/2007 9:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Vadha

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's the deal, folks. Vadha was created by John Salvaggio, who has been practicing it since Christ was a child. My father was one of his first students in the 1970's. There was a school in Staten Island, but it closed after the triad partnership broke up. My father had a school, in our basement from the time I was 3-17 years old. The reason why there weren't more schools in the public eye, is because insurance companies wouldn't give insurance to the schools, due to its "violent" nature, and too much a street style. (That's what we were told when Dad tried to get insurance.) Hence, the waiver students had to sign. Yet, where there was a mishap at the above ground school on SI, it was lawsuit central.

Vadha takes the best elements of other styles and incorporates them into one style. It also uses the circular movement fighting that someone had mentioned. It is not about points, or awards, its about self defense and getting in tune with your body.
    Does its origins come from Tibet, I'll call Dad tomorrow and ask him. I remember Salvaggio lived in another country before I was born, 30+ years ago.
    Regardless,just because Campetella lost a UFC fight doesn't make him a poor fighter. I've seen him fight and he's good. And, just because someone doesn't know a lot about a style doesn't mean they should blow it off, call it bullshit or abuse it. That's just narrow minded. Rather than speculating up a storm, why don't you call one of the teacher's and ask them. The Campetella Brother's have a couple of school in NJ. Ciao for now.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 7:15am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Physical Therapy 4 Ankle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I attended a school of Vadha Kenpo when I was in Columbia SC way back in like 2000. The take I had on it was at the time there was no ground game in it. It was very similary to an American Kickboxing kind of sparring but no one got knocked out due to the light contact to the head. The Instructer was very carefull and had great technique (but rember nothing went to the ground but this might have changed since then). It was not a McDojo at all in fact they made no profit cause all they charge was enough to cover rent and that was not much because they ran the school out of another guys Mcdojo at night.

My over all opinion is they had solid stand up game never got to try anyone on the ground. And they even had a cool slogan "Vadha Kenpo, Because there are No trophies in the streets" Yes the slogan included th3 d3adly str33t.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 7:38am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Physical Therapy 4 Ankle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By attending the school I mean to say sparred with them a few times. They were very open to cross styles comeing and training as long as you left your ego at the door.

Posted On:
    4/02/2008 11:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: (vadha) Vadha Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a black Belt under the (vadha ) Vadha kempo system under John Salvaggio. I became a black Belt in 1978 in fact I was Johns 3rd or 4th black belt so I go back to the days before Vadha Kempo was born. John is and always was a top level Martial Artist. He is stil to this day at the top of his game. Iwas in the presents of Master Mccrave before he left for Florida and saw with my own eyes and heard with my own ears Mr Mccrave pass the torch to John. I dont know what happened after that. My Black Belt certificate and My certified instructor certificate have both Mr Mccraves and Mr salvaggios name on it. All though the orign of this art are still cloudy, I still study with alot of the Vadha Kempo Guys and still stay in touch with master Salvaggio. The art and Master Salvaggio were both a head of there time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2008 11:29pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by skatejohn718
    yeah you know it all bro!
    i agree school and a job are full time gigs, try running three business, full time! so yeah i guess i live in the ASTRAL PLANE, i work harder than you know and still find time to train!
    Nevermind.
    Last edited by Beezer; 4/04/2008 1:48pm at .
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 789 LastLast