All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    1/26/2005 2:44am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Impressive sounding lies?"

I don't understand this phenomenom. Why ronco up your martial art if it works? It's like the guy that knows how to play poker and second deals anyway...
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/26/2005 9:22pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anything that says blah blah blah ke?po throws up a red flag in my book. If it traces its' history back less than 50 years then the flag comes back down. Beyond that and any claims to China and Tibet I sniff the bullshit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2005 10:35am

Style: Karate/Kempo/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didnt Giant Lee train there????

X

Posted On:
    1/27/2005 4:12pm

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bullshit history is also bullshido IMO; all you badass sr33zfighterz maybe just want the 'best' reagardless of origin...

But 1000 yr old made-up histories are ****, esp. since someone might believe them, & 100yrs in the future they might becote the 'truth' ;).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2005 12:38am

Style: vadha kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

is vadha kempo a mcdojo????????????

i have been studying vadha kempo for about ten years now and i can tell you it is not a mcdojo! vadha kempo's origins come from the traditional form of vadha, master john salvaggio took vadha and developed a "hybrid" style called vadha kempo.this style uses circular movments (arcing and redirecting) to defend against attackers effectively. as far as the VK black belt talking about control in full contact sparring he must be very confused, there is no mysterious energy called "control" what he is referring to is control of techniques when sparring(not throwing wild punches or kicks ). VK started out as a very secretive style taught only to family members and good friends. the first "commercial" VK school was established approxamately 10years ago, and eventually went out of business, like alot of other self defense schools. but it is now taught like it was originally intended, in small groups, privately.
    as far as john campetella is concerened, yes he lost in the ufc to gary goodrich, this doesn't mean he has no idea how to fight, john is a superb fighter, equally good standing or on the ground, he is one of my senseis. did anyone see ken shamrock lose to that franklin guy because of a slip after a failed high kick? think about it. there is always a winner and a loser.
    vadha kempo is a great style, it's very unique. it's too bad it doesn't recieve the recognition it may deserve but i believe it never will because thats just the way it was meant to be, a low key, private style taught to select people, isn't that the total opposite of a mcdojo?

i hope no one reads this and thinks i'm putting down all other styles, i'm not, everyone has a favorite art and vadha kempo happens to be mine.
    :glasses10

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    7/16/2005 12:45am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd need to see a video of you guys training to say anything about it.

The fact that it is secretive is NOT a good thing, since you are forced to "inbreed" instead of exploring new things. What I mean by that is, if I spar Timmy all the time, eventually I know Timmy's tricks and how he fights. That's good and all, but suddenly when Rutherford comes along and fights with a totally different flavor, it's very hard to adjust. Something you certainly wouldn't want to get used to DURING a fight.

Whereas if you accept new members and go compete, you end up sparring lots of different people, and the outcome is that you are a good fighter period, not just against Timmy or Johnny.

PL

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/16/2005 6:51am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by skatejohn718
    i have been studying vadha kempo for about ten years now and i can tell you it is not a mcdojo! vadha kempo's origins come from the traditional form of vadha, master john salvaggio took vadha and developed a "hybrid" style called vadha kempo.this style uses circular movments (arcing and redirecting) to defend against attackers effectively. as far as the VK black belt talking about control in full contact sparring he must be very confused, there is no mysterious energy called "control" what he is referring to is control of techniques when sparring(not throwing wild punches or kicks ). VK started out as a very secretive style taught only to family members and good friends. the first "commercial" VK school was established approxamately 10years ago, and eventually went out of business, like alot of other self defense schools. but it is now taught like it was originally intended, in small groups, privately.
    as far as john campetella is concerened, yes he lost in the ufc to gary goodrich, this doesn't mean he has no idea how to fight, john is a superb fighter, equally good standing or on the ground, he is one of my senseis. did anyone see ken shamrock lose to that franklin guy because of a slip after a failed high kick? think about it. there is always a winner and a loser.
    vadha kempo is a great style, it's very unique. it's too bad it doesn't recieve the recognition it may deserve but i believe it never will because thats just the way it was meant to be, a low key, private style taught to select people, isn't that the total opposite of a mcdojo?

i hope no one reads this and thinks i'm putting down all other styles, i'm not, everyone has a favorite art and vadha kempo happens to be mine.
    :glasses10

Campetella fought once, lost, and never came back and we are suppose to take your word he is a surperb fighter? The difference with him and Ken Shamrock is that Ken may have lost but he has picked himself up and came back, and he has a WINNING record.

As for that art, if it claims to come from tibet then I want proof, "hybrid" or not.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2005 7:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

vadha kempo

you guys seem to be misunderstanding me, i wasn't comparing john campetella to ken shamrock, what i was trying to do was give an example that everyone has a bad day. and as far as teaming up with other styles to learn how to defend against different attackers, we do that all the time many people from different disciplines come down to train. vadha kempo is a very versatile artform, standing or on the ground. i don't think anyone should measure the entire system based on john campetella's debut in the ufc. i'm sure over a million people watching you is pretty intimidating, no?
    i just felt i had to throw down some facts about vk and hopefully put an end to whoever thought it might be a mcdojo. i didn't think the subject would change from mcdojo to debating what the most effective fighting system ever developed was.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2005 7:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

vadha kempo

by the way vadha kempo is not a points style system. it's not based on tournament style fighting it's based on self defense in a street application, just thought i should clear that up.

Noob: Reloaded

Posted On:
    7/16/2005 8:29pm

supporting member
     Style: MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A little off-topic, but have you compared VK to other styles?
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast