Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 9:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welp I just spent the entire weekend learning some Silat takedowns from every position imaginable. I was surprised how much ground work is in Silat, and how much grappling is involved. One thing to keep in mind was that without Blades it is not Silat, so grappling was done with the thought of gaining position to stick a knife into your opponent.

I don't know what the chances are of running into some crazed knife fighter out there on the street who's willing to stick you in the guts, but have you guys given any thought to what would happen if you were grappling and what the chances are that the other guy would produce a knife from somewhere?

This is more of psychological question, I'm sure if a person has empty hands and wants to fight, most of you would be like "hell yah, let's get it on" but if that person pulled a knife most of you would run like hell.

Reading FD cause cancer

small hick city full with college students in Cali

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 10:19am

Style: Muay Thai and boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you don't have a knife, you can use the take down and get the person in lock or pound them up. Also it can be useful to take your opponent down to give you some time to escape or get a weapons out.

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."
    I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 11:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think any martial art would help much unless you had the knife - better off learning something which will teach you the best in hand to hand. But it sounds quite interesting, if not a little boring.
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 12:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welp, I'm not just talking about any particular Martial Arts, just the penchant for those SE Asian peps to carry around a knife and the mentality they had when they started to grapple. Now I'm just wondering if that enters into your minds when you're thinking of using grappling to defend yourself agaisnt an attack. You know, the possibility of that other guy having a knife hidden somewhere.

I mean are you telling yourself watch out for a knife?

Most people find out whether a person has a weapon or not, based on the hole in your body being studied at the mourge.

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 6:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Silat take downs have their unique characteristics. Its pretty cool. Yeah those guys carried their keris all the time.

"Do what thou wilt is the whole of the Law"
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 8:18pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Dog Brothers and Pekiti-Tirisia Kali (sp?) have worked blade and stick grappling into their respective systems. Interestingly enough, they have found that unless you are fighting from a dominant position, i.e. mount, back mount, it is not a good idea to go for a concealed blade, i.e. a folder/sheath knife on the belt/in the pocket.

If someone attacks me and goes for a knife from my guard. Mr. Kimura will not be his friend. Likewise with most other non-dominant positions. A knife being drawn while grappling is always a concern, but if you are controlling your opponent well enough, it is less than one would think.

As far as Silat grappling is concerned, what little I have seen has not really impressed me. Then again, I prefer control to submissions, and the few techs I've seen didn't seem to have much if any control applied with a submission. If I can control someone and leave as little space as possible, the likelihood of a knife being drawn goes down. And I can punch, elbow, and knee the head repeatedly :)

That said, if someone pulls a knife on me before fighting, I'd run like I've never run before.

Reading FD cause cancer

Posted On:
    2/18/2003 12:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Other suggest is to take a butchering class or anatomy class and buy a good small curve shape knife. It will allows you to disbowel anyone who try to take your life *evil grin*

Actually I adjust many of my silat take down into a submissive hold or pinning so I can pound on my opponent while holding them down.

Like as every martial arts, you can't expert it to work like magic. You have to practice it and see what is the best way to use martial arts and how it work in certain situtation.

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."
    I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Reading FD cause cancer

Posted On:
    2/18/2003 12:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Other suggest is to take a butchering class or anatomy class and buy a good small curve shape knife. It will allows you to disbowel anyone who try to take your life *evil grin*

Actually I adjust many of my silat take down into a submissive hold or pinning so I can pound on my opponent while holding them down.

Like as every martial arts, you can't expert it to work like magic. You have to practice it and see what is the best way to use martial arts and how it work in certain situtation.

Posted On:
    2/18/2003 8:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are silat takedowns just like wrestling, judo and/or BJJ takedowns?
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2003 8:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure, I haven't seen a double leg takedown, but one leg, or sometimes at the ankle, lots and lots of sweeps. Once on the ground though, the object was to just gain a dominant position so you can knife the opponent. I have seen some submission holds, I almost passed out last saturday, had a fist in my neck and was getting choked with my own arm.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast