Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 1:07am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To prep for the running, since you have less than two weeks: do 4 days of HIIT running (2 days on, one day off, 2 days on again). Jog for a minute, sprint as hard and far as you can, then walk for a minute... then repeat, starting at jog. Take two days off, and then jog every day, double the distance for your long run (I think you said 1.5 miles, so that would be 3 miles). Do this every day up until one or two days before your test, depending on how long since you start the long jogging it is til your test. If it's more than 5 days of jogging, take two days off beforehand, otherwise take one day off.

For the BWEs, those you're gonna get good at just by doing them a bunch. My recommendation would be to do 10 sets of each to failure (the last few sets will probably all be 1, but do it anyway). Do it twice a day if you can, morning and evening. Do it every other day. Take two or three days off before your test.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 1:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your tris are the most important for powering you through a pushup or bench press.
    Unless you have some very strange strength proportions, or use a narrower-than-standard grip, this is absolutely false.

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 1:24am

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't your tricep responsible for most of the force during the midway point of the press? I had always thought the triceps were the most important, then the pectorals, then the shoulders aswell as the fore arms.

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 3:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tricep is only the primary muscle if you're doing close-grip bench, with your elbows tucked in tight. Otherwise, for a standard bench, the pectorals are main mover, deltoids are secondary, and triceps are tertiary. If you have proportionately weak triceps (just as I have proportionately weak deltoids), then you'll feel it most in the triceps, and those will be the muscle to give first. Same thing happens with my delts.

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 10:29am

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahh gotcha! I think my delts are weak also. I think my tris are alright and it's mainly my delts. I just can't press insane weights that I see some people doing :-/

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 10:36am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, a quick update and one more question...

First, to whoever asked, you can rest in the up position on the push-ups (or at least you could on the last test), though I don't know about the butt in the air thing which sounded kinda uncomfortable to me anyway. So, when I did my sets lastnight I tried resting a bit and was able to crank out 35 no problem. Second, I timed myself on sit-ups finally and was able to do the 38 in a minute. And that was with no one holding my feet. (Yeah, the wife refused.)

Punchingdummy, hey man, I'm not obese or grossly out of shape or anything! Heh. I just am not, nor have I ever been a runner. I hate it. Running makes me feel weak. When I was lifting regularly, I'd get the pumped up feeling when I was done. I felt strong. But after I get through running I feel drained. It sucks. I'm sure the more I run the less I'll feel that way, but... damn, I just hate it. Anyway, one more question for you and TBM...

How important is it to rest? For the last test I ran everyday including the day before the test. I bettered my time and had no problem on the test day. In such a short time (12 days) do I really need to take days off?

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 10:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is only one way to run faster, and that is to train to run faster.
    Samething for endurance.
    Samething for push ups and sit ups.
    DO more and you will DO MORE.

Exercise has NEVER been that complicated.

If you wann run the 300 in under 70 seconds, then train to run it under 70 seconds.
    If you wanna do 40-50-or 60 push-ups, do that, you will get there eventually.

All I can say is that, in regards to push-ups and sit-ups, do them as fast as you can, heck 1 push-up per second is NOT that hard, with practice.
    Same thing for sit-ups.
    Just make sure you are doing them the SAME way you will be tested.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 1:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ronin, that's basically what I did for the first test. To get my time down I just started running. Every day. And each day I tried to better my time. It worked. But since I had a bit more time to train and still need to shave a good 40 seconds to a minute off my time, I wanted to go to the experts for some advice.

BTW, with my feet held, I was able to do 40 sit-ups in a minute this morning. Looks like it's all going to come down to the running. Again. It has become apparent that running is my kryptonite.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 3:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah, its all in your head !
    Get yourself a running partner, perferably better than you ( not hard), he will push you.

Try the HIIT that the guy with the fuckable avatart suggested.

See what part of the running is giving you a hard time ( the begiing, middle or end), see if you are having "pacing issues".

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 6:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    Punchingdummy, hey man, I'm not obese or grossly out of shape or anything! Heh. I just am not, nor have I ever been a runner. I hate it. Running makes me feel weak. When I was lifting regularly, I'd get the pumped up feeling when I was done. I felt strong. But after I get through running I feel drained. It sucks. I'm sure the more I run the less I'll feel that way, but... damn, I just hate it. Anyway, one more question for you and TBM...
    Punchingdummy used to hate running too. I remember giving people the "I'm just not a runner" line many times. However, you tend to like it a little more when you get a little better at it. I wanted to be a Marine - so I had to learn to live with it. It SUCKS when you are getting in shape...but becomes better as you get in better shape.

BTW, I would always alternate weight days and run days.

[/QUOTE]How important is it to rest? For the last test I ran everyday including the day before the test. I bettered my time and had no problem on the test day. In such a short time (12 days) do I really need to take days off?[/QUOTE]

Rest is critical. It is where you make your gains. When I used to train for PFTs, I would always see a marked improvement after resting a few days. Hopefull some runners will chime in here, but to me, you will get more from the rest than you will training those two days.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast