Sponsored Links Spacer Image

***ned

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 3:01pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Today I went from kimura from north south > straight armbar > triangle choke > omoplata > getting mounted > getting armlocked.

It was great.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 3:20pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Grande
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is an escrima and how do you transition to one from an omaplata?

Gringo Grande
    Escrima isn't a technique per se. It is a position with the foot that sets up a couple of techniques.

How do I explain it. Hmmm. Grab your opponents sleeve while in your guard. Now bring your foot around the outside and back on top of their elbow pit, hooking the top of your foot behind their tricep. Your shin/instep will be in their elbow.

The techniques that I use from here are of course the bicep slicer. But my main is a sweep to that side. If they base out to avoid that sweep they make a lot of space. You can duck your head way way way extreme to the inside between you and end up in a sweet little omoplata that nobody sees coming.

But usually if an omoplata fails its because you cannot get their arm bent completely and they posture up and they put your on your back where you cannot 'roll up' on them and get their back. From here you are stalemated sometimes. I go to the escrima position by bailing on the omoplata and opening up the legs again. They move their arm from the down angled omoplata position by trying to crank it around to the up angled americana position. This is where I put the escrima hook and start the next chain of submission/sweeps.

Going to lunch right now. I would normally be able to find some pictures of something like this for clarity sake. Maybe later.

Editted to add pictures:

The escrima, as I have learned it. Well, at least that is what my teacher calls it. Another reason for BJJ standization, so we can put universal names to stuff!
    Last edited by Yrkoon9; 1/24/2005 3:50pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 3:25pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So that's what the position is called. I have been learning and using it for like the last month without it having a name. It is great for entangling someone and offers a TON of sweeps.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 4:00pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    I swear since BJJ has come to America I could do a stand up comedy routine with all the fucking names you guys come up with. I hate sounding like a BJJ hater because I really am not but the following existed before all these BJJ players started coming up with these fucking names.

Calf cutter<Knee lock
    Eddie Bravo's Twister (he made it famous so no complaints here)<The Octapus
    Clock Choke<don't feel like looking up
    Omapolata (which basically means shoulder lock so I have no idea about this one)
    Kimura (which now everybody confuses with a lower key/shoulder lock)
    head and arm triangle<see clock choke
    Shaolin Choke (this one fucking cracked me up)<see clock choke.

Don't get me wrong the previous names for a lot of these chokes, locks and positions weren't all that great to begin with but why didn't anybody find out whether these were already being done and use those names. You know where I learned the Shaolin Choke, from a Judo player 6 years ago before it became famous.

:cussing: rant over.
    I agree. The number of names for any particular technique is amazing.

Calf crusher/Calf slicer
    Kimura/Keylock/Bent armlock
    etc.

Personally I PREFER to use the Japanese terminology whenever possible. I have found that most brazilians 'know' or can recognize many of the Japanese terms, but have their own spin on them. But coming from a Judo background its much easier for me.

But Americans bastardize everything. Keylock, Americana, Kimura, Chickenwing, Hammerlock, Bent Armlock.....jezusssss. Its Ude Garami. Period.

I can't stand trying to explain **** where I am like, okay you know that one technique where you put your leg like this and your arms like this and then you lift your hips up, blah blah blah. One fucking name. Just one. A word, a sentence. Anything. But have ONE. It will make explanation SOOOOO much easier.

BTW - the Shaolin choke? Clock choke? blah - its Ukeri Eri Jime. Sliding lapel choke. Just a variation. I blame the brazilians for fucking this up. And specifically Wallid for choking Royce out with it.

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 4:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had no idea that position was called "escrima". I just always called it "that guard position where you grapevine his arm with your leg" LOL!
    Agreed about the name standardization. It really is ridiculous that two BJJ'ers don't know what the hell each other is talking about because everyone uses different names for each position/submission.
    Last edited by JohnnyS; 1/24/2005 4:29pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 4:30pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 4:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think one of the biggest misconceptions about black belts is the whole "thinking 5 moves ahead" idea, or whatever number you've heard. If you're thinking 5 moves ahead, then it means you're not concentrating on what's happening now. So I'm not going to be in someone's guard and start thinking about how I'm going to finish him from knee-ride.
    It's more a case of having certain set-ups and knowing "Well, the guy can do either 'this' or 'that' to counter me. If he does 'this' I've got a sweep waiting for him, if he does 'that' I've got my choke waiting for him." Then from either of those two positions we know the most common counters and have something waiting to counter those counters.

If someone wants to get good, then they need to "map out" each position. So have a guard pass where you set it up and then have something for the most likely counters. You can generally count on 60% of the people doing a certain counter, then another 30% doing a different counter, and then maybe for the last 10% of the times you'll roll the person might do something crazy. If you have something waiting for those first two counters, then you've covered 90% of the times you're rolling. This requires a lot of time and patience, as well as an analytical mind, but if you do this you'll notice your game improve immeasurably.

***ned

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 9:31pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    Deus I'm so dissapointed did you forget everything I told you about setting and planning.....tsk tsk...March dude, come back up here in March.
    Was actually planning on taking a trip up sometime in the next few months. Maybe spring break? I'll let you know.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 10:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyS
    I think one of the biggest misconceptions about black belts is the whole "thinking 5 moves ahead" idea, or whatever number you've heard. If you're thinking 5 moves ahead, then it means you're not concentrating on what's happening now. So I'm not going to be in someone's guard and start thinking about how I'm going to finish him from knee-ride.
    It's more a case of having certain set-ups and knowing "Well, the guy can do either 'this' or 'that' to counter me.....
    I'd have to agree with Johnny on this one. Although I'm not a black belt or anything I only think about the move I am currently working on unless an opportunity for something else comes up. After *many* hours of grappling you start to flow from one position to the next as you can feel where your opponent is leading you. I don't think so much ahead as much as I just react to what is given or how something is going.

Here's an interesting drill I used to do in BJJ that you guys may be familiar with. (Johnny should as I learned it from the Machado's) You start to grapple but you do it in slow motion doing one movement at a time. I do a movement, you react, I react to your reaction, you react to my movement. It's like playing chess by moving one piece at a time. This gives you both time to see what your opponent is doing and to react to it and counter it. Eventually someone gets caught but what it teaches you is how to react and where to go next. You may be thinking three steps ahead but then he does something that forces you to change your game plan mid technique. Eventually when you are at a very high level you will be doing just this but at full speed without thinking about it. It's not so much thinking a few steps ahead as much as it's knowing how to react to every conceivable movement.

Edit: Don't get me wrong... I am also a huge proponent of drilling drilling drilling and drilling! Live drilling, situational drilling, multiple techniques drilling and on and on and....
    Last edited by Red Elvis; 1/24/2005 10:54pm at .
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12