***ned

Posted On:
    1/23/2005 11:17pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ: Setting things up aka Combinations

Hello my fellow jiujitsu brethren. In my game, as it stands, I'm beginning to realize that the next big obstacle for me is to start planning ahead, setting up my opponent for a sweep/sub/whatever. I have some VERY basic combinations that I have been trying to work on: armbar/high guard to omoplata, half guard sweep (changing directions), etc. The reason I want to begin working on setting up my moves is to streamline my game and cultivate my sensitivity and timing. Up until this point, a lot of my game was just getting to a certain position and then just kind of steamrolling into a certain submission.

One example would be the bent armlock from north south. I would get to north-south and then just try to get the bent armlock and if that didn't work, I'd go to the straight armlock. One fundamental change that I want to make in my game is that instead of thinking one step at a time, i.e. pass guard...stop....move to north-south...stop...figure four arm...stop....try to crank...stop...try to crank...stop...move to straight armlock, i want to think, okay, I'm in his guard and I'm going to try to get the straight armlock. Basically just know what I'm going to end up in and work toward getting my timing and sensitivity to a point where I can feel the resistance changing and then move myself accordingly.

I think an important step in that direction would be to have a few very specific techniques reserved for a situation. Then break down those techniques, and find how they move my opponents body and what kind of resistance those techniques get, then choose techniques that will capitalize on the resistance. Basically, I need to become intimately familiar with the basics and how they affect the body, then tie them together according to which techniques flow best with each other. I.e. the most basic combination ever, guillotine > hip bump > bent armlock from the guard.

Any thoughts?

***ned

Posted On:
    1/23/2005 11:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The most important way for me to get the basics down as completely as possible is, of course, to drill them like a mofo. Once you do 10000 reps of an elevator sweep, I think you should be pretty familiar with the way their body is going to move and how it reacts to that pressure. Also, once you start incorporating into live drilling/sparring, you'll learn how people will resist the elevator sweep, and then from there you can figure out the best way to capitalize on their reaction even if you don't get the sweep.

Then the next step would be drilling the combo with a compliant partner who will give the right resistance throughout the sequence.

Orrrr, you can just get combinations from your instructor or instructionals, but where's the character building in that? Hah.

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 12:23am

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check out this article by Roy Harris, he talks about breaking down moves into many different parts and getting them to flow together smoothly. Scroll to the bottom and read the "Black Belt" section.

http://www.bjj.org/articles/harris-progression.html

EDIT: Actually, maybe that's not what you're looking for. My memory sucks, sorry.
    Last edited by IzzyDaHedgehog; 1/24/2005 12:25am at .
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 11:05am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am telling a couple of our guys to do basically the same thing.

They are whitebelts, but really working on the blue belt level of developing their game. They each have positions and techniques that they seem to favor. I suggested using those techniques as the 'base' of their game. Meaning they use those positions and techniques as either the beginning or end of the chain of techniques. Use the most familiar things to 'build' off.

Both of them happen to be guard players, but radically different body types. One is a bruce-lee look alike at 150lbs. The other is a frank mir look alike at 240lbs. The big guy has an awesome omoplata but not much else. The small guy really likes the triangle due to his flexibility.

So the small guy I started helping him with the spiderguard and wideopen guard sweeps. But then he has to know how to get there and how to get out of there.

The big guy I started helping him put together combination attacks from omoplata. Triangle combinations. Omoplata sweeps. Crusifix. Rolling omoplatas. Failed omoplata attempts to escrimas.

The key for them as much as linking techniques together is to be able to link them to their 'base' game. No use them trying to incorporate clock choke at the moment. Better they learn a half guard game in case their techniques fail and people begin to pass their guard.

Know what I am saying? No use trying to put every possible chain of techniques together in every possible combination for these guys. They are still whites, heh probably blues, so they really need to develop 'their' game more than 'every' game possible. If that makes sense.

Ninjer Pile on Me! Hurr!

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 2:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Bad KB, Worse MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is an escrima and how do you transition to one from an omaplata?

Gringo Grande
    MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
    (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

***ned

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 2:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you fail the omoplata you...beat them on the head with a stick?

***ned

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 2:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been rolling a lot lately and I've been more cognizant of simple 1-2 combinations. Not so much technique to technique but more of "If I put my knee here, he'll put his weight down there, which will let me do this....okay go." Just mostly simple body movements in combination.

Regardless, obviously, the end goal is to be able to lead your opponent down a certain path, but that's probably more near brown and black belt.

P.S. YAY for big guys and the omoplata! Once we get your arm squeezed between our fat thighs, you're done!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 2:49pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You may have stolen the omoplata but the triangle is mine. We must battle for divine rights to the armbar, in our quest to acquire the Roly Armbar-Triangle-Omoplata Trinity.
    Last edited by Aesopian; 1/24/2005 2:51pm at .

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 2:54pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Odd, I don't think in terms of combos but just "Where do I go from here?". I wonder if it's systemic with my currently inablity to complete ANY FUCKING SUBMISSION I ATTEMPT.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 2:57pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I first did lock-flows (example: we did armbar, kimura, omoplata, triangle recently) I was amazed at how one can flow the different submissions together as your opponent escapes them. It just feels...amazing. The way in which the opponent's escape puts them in position for another submission is great.

Pulling that kind of flow off in sparring is the only thing I can think of that could be better :-).
    sudo make me a sandwich!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast