Taking a break

Posted On:
    1/23/2005 11:55am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Incline Presses

I've just got a bench and weights from a friend and I'm having issues doing incline presses.

I've nowhere to put the bar to start or to finish. The bench looks pretty much like this one.

Any ideas on how to do them?
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2005 12:36pm

Style: Pekiti Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get some dumbbells or a new bench that doesn't suck... Or a powe rack that you can slide the bench in.... Other than that, your scewed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2005 1:01pm

Style: Bjj/kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Benching sucks anyway, it's the most worthless exercise

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/23/2005 10:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KentckyFriedRat
    Benching sucks anyway, it's the most worthless exercise
    It has its uses. As for actual incline presses, screw them. Good heavy benches will hit your pecs all over, inclines and declines are a bodybuilding thing designed to get more blood pumped into your pecs. It'll make them look bigger but strength-wise nothing beats a tough set of regular benches, preferably on power racks so you can start from the negative portion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2005 10:56pm

Style: Mixed/Freestyle Kickboxin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have had good experience, if you are going for a more balanced look in the chest, of doing standing cable flyes with the pulley coming from about a foot or so off the floor. Then pull them together at about the chin level. Koto is right on the true power forward issue, but for looks, the flye really does help.

Taking a break

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 2:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So the general consensus is don't even bother with the inclines. Thats cool.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 6:15am

Style: Hayai Hashiruno-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since you're training for MA, I'd also advise sticking with ballistic training[1], because it uses the muscles in a way similar to punching. Personally, I also prefer the dumbbell-press to the bench-press, because it works the stabilizer muscles much more effectively, and because you don't need a decent bench -- just appropriate weights.

Inclines aren't worthless; they work the pectorals and traps in a different fashion than flat benching does, as well as the rotators, and it's not such a bad idea to switch things up a bit -- I alternate between clap-pushups and ballistic inclined DB presses for my chest workout.

[1] Explosive lifting with 50-60% of your ORM (One Rep Max).

Professional Fighter

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 6:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Pansy
    Since you're training for MA, I'd also advise sticking with ballistic training[1], because it uses the muscles in a way similar to punching. Personally, I also prefer the dumbbell-press to the bench-press, because it works the stabilizer muscles much more effectively, and because you don't need a decent bench -- just appropriate weights.

Inclines aren't worthless; they work the pectorals and traps in a different fashion than flat benching does, as well as the rotators, and it's not such a bad idea to switch things up a bit -- I alternate between clap-pushups and ballistic inclined DB presses for my chest workout.

[1] Explosive lifting with 50-60% of your ORM (One Rep Max).
    There's a large portion of the fitness community believe that lifting in this manner doesn't offer any advantages over slow controlled lifts and that this type of lifting is much more likely to cause injury. So, take that into account when you assemble a routine.

The current project I'm personally trying now is to focus my workouts on the three major gross motor movements: pushing, pulling, and squating. So, basically, regular bench, rows, and squats. I also do some other excercises simply due to vanity and aesthetics (calves, traps, biceps).

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 8:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Koto is correct, IF you train your chest INTENSLY enough, ALL parts of it will come into play, there really isn't a "upper" or "lower" pec, its just terms used by bodybuilders who wanna isolate certain areas of the pectorals.

Function over form as Taebo like to say.

When you get to an good weight with a barbell, change to dumbells ( due to the fact that they are even harder to stablize than barbells, you will have to cut the weight a bit).

But, as for inclines, no need to do them unless you just like do them, even a the bench press per se is an inferior exercise for your chect compared to say the weighted dip.

Taking a break

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 8:56am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheers for all the help.

Unfortunately, now I've got the bench in place I've no room to do dips.
    I'm going to have to work out a routine with the equipment I've got.

So.. I can do bench and deadlifts no problem, I'm wary of doing squats as I've nowhere to rest the bar. Time to look up some dumbell exercises.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast