Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 1:14pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Many people may have more success gaining muscle if they work a muscle group (or two) a day. This will allow the breakdown of more muscle fibers per group. This can however be quite time consuming. It will as mentioned with the other programs require an increased food intake if you have a high metabolism (sorry I'm not familiar with that problem[]).
    An example of a workout program would be:

1)Chest
    4x8-10 (plus one warm up) Flat Bench Press
    4x8-10 Incline Dumbell Press
    4x10 Pec Deck
    4x8-10 Additional press exercise (Iso Hammer strength machine etc.)

2) Back
    4x10 Pull-ups (theyíre better for overall back strength than
    4x8-10 Lying row (don't know the name but where you lay on an incline bench looking thing and bull the bar up to your self)
    4x8-10 Lat pull-downs
    4x8-10 Sitting low row
    *on back days I also like to do 3 sets of 4way neck exercises
    *I like to alternate between wide and narrower grips with each exercise, starting wide on pull-ups of course. Others donít do it that way, but I think it hits the lats a little better.

3)Arms
    4x8-10 (plus one warm up) Standing curls with a straight olympic bar. Make sure you don't swing and arch your back. The weight is less important than the form.
    4x8-10 (plus one warm up) Skull crushers
    4x8-10 Preacher Curls
    4x8-10 Tricep pulldowns with the rope
    4x8-10 your choice biceps
    3-4x20 Dips

4) Shoulders
    4x8-10 (plus one warm up) Military press
    4x8-10 reverse peck deck (works rear delts)
    (2)3x10 do alternating arm raises ten per arm drop weights pick up lighter dumbbells and almost immediately start reverse flies from a football "athletic stance" do three times total.

5) Legs
    someone else should probably help you out here. I'm unable to do most leg exercises due to having to protect my back from excessive compression. I only do sled and machine exercises for that reason.

The order of these workouts would have to some degree up to you. You typically want 1-2 days minimum between working the same muscles which makes the chest/arms/shoulders rotation somewhat complicated due to timing. I personally don't like compounding too many muscle groups into a single workout, as I don't think that you can get the muscles all to exhaustion as well as in a split program. Iíve also had several people tell me that you want to max out with about 16 sets per workout which makes compounding groups even more of a problem (see the arms routine). Also you should increase weight per set and if its easy for you to get all the reps you want in a set, you need to increase the weight.

If youíre looking to increase strength (translates to more muscle) you want to do low-mid numbers of reps. I feel that 8-10 is a good balance between the extremes. However on some exercise Iíll only get 6-8 reps on the last set. If you donít have the time for cooking a lot protein bars and shakes are good as between meal calorie/protein inputs.

**You're all a-holes**

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 1:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    P.S. Change up your workout routine frequently and you'll reduce the duration of plateau periods. Also experiment some to find what works for you. Remember though that lower reps at higher weights equals greater strength which equals more lean mass.

Remember to stretch a lot so as to not lose flexibility.

**You're all a-holes**

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 1:58pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gauranteed way to gain weight:

Eat 4 double quarter pounder cheese burgers a day with milk shake. Don't eat fries they are unhealthy for you.

At the end of the night make sure to drink a 6 pack of beers while consuming as much chips as you want.

I gaurantee you will put on 25 pound before the end of the month.

Go away I'm talking to myself

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 3:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey thanks omega i think ill try that! :)

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 4:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sk8er4life26 - don't let it get complicated.
    Keep it simple.

Follow these basic rules:
    1) Stick to compound exercises.
    2) Up the amount of calories using good food.
    3) get enough sleep
    4) take multi-vitamin and vitamin C

If you have money to burn, then feel free to load up on sports supplements.

--------
    What would happen if a one hand clapper attempted to stop a tree falling in the woods when no one else was around?
    --------

Edited by - fingerormoon? on February 17 2003 15:54:21
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 5:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sk8er4life26 - don't let it get complicated.
    Keep it simple.

Follow these basic rules:
    1) Stick to compound exercises.
    2) Up the amount of calories using good food.
    3) get enough sleep
    4) take multi-vitamin and vitamin C

If you have money to burn, then feel free to load up on sports supplements.

--------
    I don't know what you mean by "compound exercises," however single functional-strenth exercises for the major muscle groups will build the most muscle, while compound-sets, supersets etc. are best for isolation exercises, which give you the "ripped separation" look but don't really contribute that much to overall mass and power.
    Another thing is rest between sets-- don't rest more than 90 seconds between sets, or else you run the risk of losing your "burn." The larger the muscle, the more rest you can give it, but no more than 90 secs.

After weights, I suggest cardio training and and then stretching.

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 5:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know what you mean by "compound exercises,"
    Wha?
    Compound exercises are ones which work more than one muscle group signficantly ie. squat, deadlift, chin up, dip, etc.
    Isolation exercises are ones which work only one muscle group signficantly ie. bicep curl, tricep ext, etc.

Also, I don't understand your comment as well about not liking bodyweight exercises because no progression is involved.
    Get a belt, hang weights from it. Do chin-ups and dips with it.
    Increase the weight each week.

The only way no progession can be involved is if your too weak to lift/lower your body and hence cannot do chins and dips properly yet.

--------
    What would happen if a one hand clapper attempted to stop a tree falling in the woods when no one else was around?
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 5:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eat "more" protein, fat and weight train.
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 5:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FM

I read recently (can't remember where) that compound exercises and power lifting exercises in particular are actually not a great way to go for ma's because they stress joints and muscles quite a bit. This results in a greater recovery time which can negatively impact other avenues of training.

Any comments, it sounded good to me. However I'm likely biased as I like isolation exercises.

**You're all a-holes**

Posted On:
    2/17/2003 6:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you really want to gain weight get into weight lifting. You dont want to gain FAT weight you want to gain muscles wait. Once you have the fat its really hard to get rid off. Its much better to build your muscles.

"Do what thou wilt is the whole of the Law"
    Ghost of Charles Dickens
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast