Our Sponsors:

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 9:36am

Style: It's complicated.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a lot of this sort of stuff in my city, too. A lot of "cage fitness" and "mma workout" and "warrior fitness" and "fighter conditioning" and "ultimate Muay Thai bootcamp" type programs popping up in gyms, McDojos and (sadly?) legitimate MMA schools. As long as people know what they're getting into, I guess it's all good. It just weirds me out to see people signing up to these programs, getting all decked out in branded MMA gear, wearing better gloves than I have but really just participating in phys ed for adults. From a business perspective, I get it: people are more likely to sign up if the program has a theme that they're into. But it kinda frustrates me to hear people say "I do Muay Thai!" or "I do boxing!" when, really, they're doing a Muay Thai-THEMED or boxing-THEMED workout. Have you ever been punched in the face? No? Then you do not do Muay Thai / boxing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 5:54pm

Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But isn't that what it is? "Conditioning"? I mean Boxing/Muay Thai conditioning is good cardio and conditioning doesn't necessarily mean sparring... does it?

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 8:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I've been hanging around on this website too long.

I was watching that video and I caught myself getting pissed off every time the students dropped their hands while delivering sloppy strikes.

How much on average do they charge for this stuff?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 8:35pm

Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Must be a lot. They have a live DJ spinning during class... that set up alone is pretty pricey too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 9:59pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is turning over the hip for a kick hard for people? I learned to do it when I was pretty young in TKD, but it seems like a lot of people struggle with that concept. Is it bio-mechanically difficult?

Anyway, this looks like pretty well-marketed kickboxersize.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 10:04pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keej613 View Post
    There's a lot of this sort of stuff in my city, too. A lot of "cage fitness" and "mma workout" and "warrior fitness" and "fighter conditioning" and "ultimate Muay Thai bootcamp" type programs popping up in gyms, McDojos and (sadly?) legitimate MMA schools. As long as people know what they're getting into, I guess it's all good. It just weirds me out to see people signing up to these programs, getting all decked out in branded MMA gear, wearing better gloves than I have but really just participating in phys ed for adults. From a business perspective, I get it: people are more likely to sign up if the program has a theme that they're into. But it kinda frustrates me to hear people say "I do Muay Thai!" or "I do boxing!" when, really, they're doing a Muay Thai-THEMED or boxing-THEMED workout. Have you ever been punched in the face? No? Then you do not do Muay Thai / boxing.

LOL, I have classes like that at my gym. Of course, the fight team is training in the cage or next to them so I don't think there are any illusions on what they do compared to the real thing.

ORNYTHORINQUE!... BOIT-SANS-SOIF!... BACHI-BOUZOUK!

Posted On:
    11/10/2012 3:20am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    LOL, I have classes like that at my gym. Of course, the fight team is training in the cage or next to them so I don't think there are any illusions on what they do compared to the real thing.
    Giving people what they will pay for, without lying to them about what it is they bought? How do I up rep this? Hell, how do I get this written into law?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2012 10:38pm

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My aunt has been "doing boxing" for over 2 years now. This evening, she told me that she finally "got in the ring" recently. At first, I was pretty excited until I realized that it was 2 X 3-min rounds of attacking (no defending) her instructor.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789