Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/03/2007 1:40am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As Asia and other have mentioned, goshinjutsu is a generic term, so specify what you're talking about. Even used as a style name I can think of two different schools off the top of my head.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 10:35am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goshinkaratekid
    I have a black belt in goshin jutsu. Here's the problem - Durants history was made up everyone knows it. When he died the systems politics when to hell. Here's the good thing One of Durants students actually is really good and their are a few groups that gravitate towards his teachings. That group has branched out and is learning alot from other styles. I personaly have taken Aikido from a school that is a branch of Capital Aikikia. I found that the principles of the body mechanics were dead on.

There are many goshin jutsu schools that I would not want to be affiliated with. They have become watered down. As far as the school connected to goshinjutsukarate.com they are good. The teacher there is probably the second best guy in the system. He is also a kenjutsu black belt and his school in particular is affiliated with an aikido school that is connected to capital aikikia.
    that second link goshinjutsu.org - He broke off from the system when Durant died and as far as I know He was promoted by his students to grandmaster (bullshit). He is not affiliated with any other goshin jutsu schools that I know of and the history section is wrong. Everyone knows it even durants son stated it somewhere on the internet. It was a fabrication by durants students and he never argued it so it spread.

I have seen many other martial arts and took shotokan for a while in college. I think the stuff I learned in goshin jutsu was better, Its not as rigid as shotokan and we actually had instruction during sparring instead of a lot of other schools that just throw you out in a ring and tell you to throw some punches and kicks.

So my point is its hit or miss. If you get into the right school its an evolving art that is practical. If you don't your going to get something really sports karate influenced and kinda crappy.

Here is the actual history: http://defendwithhonor.com/articles/article2.html

the schools affiliated with this site are the best good ones. I personally think that my style is great
    I am familar with goshinjutsu.org dude. His student go to some local tournaments that I go to. I know Grants Martial arts studio in PA. They have kickboxing shows at various times of the year, and the come to our kickboxing shows as well, along with our karate tournaments.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 11:38am

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what's the conclusion? Is it crap or something viable? I think my dumb ass uncle does that stuff in Switzerland...one look at him and you doubt his eficience! From what I see it's a mix between karate,judo/jiujitsu and aikido...but didn't produce hardcore fighters at that gym, since all of his friends/training partners are nothing more then bland swiss men with beer and cheese bellies.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 5:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I studied this style in Erie, PA as a teenager before i understood a lot about Martial Arts. At the time i had no real frame of reference to judge it against and it seems like what is called around here "Krotty". In retrospect it seems a stew of various traditional karate similar to shodokan and some TKD kicks with a splash of very basic Judo and Aikido for garnish. They we're very into the Kata/Point-Sparring Tournament scene, the school itself throwing about 2-4 a year in the Erie area.

fake edit- the kata im almost certain were totally made up and share no similarity with any other Karate styles except very superficially. I also met the Durrant fellow shortly before he died. No idea of his skills as he was in a wheel chair and quite ill.

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 1:23am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: American Kenpo / Shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A few things ...

I had directly trained with Goshin Jutsu (G-J) practitoners in the 80s. These folks were senior students of Bob Bohac. They were knowledgeable and skilled. They were also a bit counter-culture ... and had a bit of a mean streak. They were committed to their G-J karate and their "leaders" - Bohac and Durant. They seemed a little "cut off" from the rest of the Erie/Northeastern PA G-J contingent. In addition, I had limited experience, in the late 80s and early 90s, with James Locke and the Royal Karate folks. Decent people. Locke was very loyal to Durant.

Durant's Goshin Jutsu karate is an eclectic blend of systems, especially the G-J taught by Bohac. Bohac incorporated more kung-fu in his version ... working with some kung-fu practitioners/masters (e.g., Decker and Alexander). Bohac was/is a formidable martial artist - very proficient kicker ... and skilled with weapons. The Erie/Northeastern PA contingent appears to be a modified and eclectic karate. Overall, G-J does appear to be an odd compilation of varied materials, with a focus upon self-defense. Yet, the overall system (still) lacks a true grappling component. There are certainly numerous factions within, or version of, G-J karate.

Durant was thought by many to be a "crass" individual. The "Texas mall" video of him should embarrass G-J practitioners - my impression of him was that of an unruly and immature adolescent boy in an old man's body. There is little doubt that much of the "history" of G-J was created, shrouded, and re-created ... to fit the needs of the situation. Fortunately, his son (Matt Durant) appears to speak more straightforwardly about what he knows and does not know about the history of the G-J system. By the way, I understand (from contemporaries who have trained with him) that Matt Durant is a decent guy and good martial arts practitioner.

These are just some of my opinions and assessments, based upon direct experience with parts of the G-J system. I have little interest in debating these points ... I just offer them.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 4:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Martial Enthusi
    Durant was thought by many to be a "crass" individual.
    Crass? This stately, saintly looking person? : http://www.goshinjutsu.org/pages/artwork/kyoto_sml.jpg

Naaaaww

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 10:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had some experience with g-j. From what I've seen personally, these people may not be traditional, but they are pretty talented. Has anyone here seen the g-j people at tourneys recently?

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 11:33pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bushi51
    First lets look at the terms.

Goshin means Self-defense.

Jitsu is more often used to mean System or art, but actually means truth.

Jutsu means system or art and is the more legitimate/current form of spelling the Japanese kanji.

The Kodokan has a whole set of Kata known as Goshin jutsu no kata.

This art is probably a shameless rip-off of that.
    You're thinking way too into this.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/05/2008 5:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: whatever works

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i know quite a bit about goshin jutsu karate, some of the system i take is derived from it. their karate is traditional seeming, but not majorly effective in SD but from the Aiki Jutsu that a have seen from goshin, that is very effective except that they lack a solid ground game. some schools have added a ground game but it stays a week point of the system

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/05/2008 11:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: goshin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WTF is a "week point"??
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast