Page 2 of 7 First 123456 ... Last
    Style
    Tao Ga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Onny
    in a related topic, what is that little thing he's holding? it looks like a glo-stick to me, but does it have some sort of practical use as a weapon? surely it's too short to bludgeon someone with, and as a stabbing tool i can't believe it would do much more than irritate an attacker. anyone know what it is and how it's used?
    As mentioned, that "thing" is a version of a kubotan. Not a weapon, per se, but a tool that facillitates martial training, and can be used defensively to achieve tactical advantage (yeah, okay. . .it's a weapon).
    http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/kubartical.htm

Created by Takayuki "Tak" Kubota, founder of the International Kartate Association:
    http://www.martialway.com/celebritie...ta/kubota.html

I mention "created by" because it was not necessarily invented by Tak Kubota. There have been other versions of this idea in Japanese, and Japanese-American history for hundreds of years. A non-lethal, personal carry, "pocket stick" tool.

There was a "Yawara Stick" created by Frank Matsuyama in the late 1940s:
    http://yawara.com/YawaraStick.html

Matsuyama's yawara techniques came from the art of Yawara which was a form of jujutsu taught only to the ruling class (samurai) in Japan. Matsuyama intimates that while jujutsu and judo matches can take as long as a half hour or more, the longest Yawara match he's seen was 7 minutes. It appears many of the yawara stick techniques come from tantojutsu, which probably makes the most sense.

There was also an earlier variation in"Combat Jiu Jitsu for Offense and Defense" by S. R. Linck, 1943. (damn. . .I keep coming up with "self-defense forums" links when searching for Linck's stick. . .oh, well. . .thanks for the photo, don rearic - ya mutt!):

Is that too much information in answer to that "just wondering" question???
    *LOL

`~/

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no it was fine, thanks to both of you for responding!

Style
    MT/SUB GRAPPLING
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes I wonder if Kungfoolss is really Phil's secret split personality to get more people to notice him and purge the excess self-loathing that builds to near dangerous levels in the majority of bespeckeled geeks who have yet to feel a woman's touch.

Style
    In Transition
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phil couldn't fit in any closet I've seen, so no.

PL

Style
    German longsword, .45 ACP
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't understand how a yawara/kubotan is any help at all. I think I would be more effective throwing an elbow to the face following an unsuccessful lock attempt than I would be looking down and using both hands to try to make the lock work/be more painful by grinding a stick into some joint or pressure point.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I did my own research on them, and in fact what Meex and El Tejon forgot to mention was that:

The kubotan should only be used by men with weak, flabby hands.
    So there you go.

Style
    Mantis, WC, Escrima/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wounded Ronin, I have seen the kubotan used effectively in LE situations where the arrestee is "mummying", i.e. not complying by doing nothing, going limp, or the arrestee is on the deck and refusing to stand. The kubotan behind the ear, jaw, kidneys, etc. can provide sufficient motivation to move along.

The kubotan is mostly an offensive weapon, not so much defensive. (Depends on use of course).
    Kung fu is translated as "stand around and talk."

Badness will not be rewarded supporting member

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, a pot and kettle party.

Style
    judo, parenting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin
    I don't understand how a yawara/kubotan is any help at all. I think I would be more effective throwing an elbow to the face following an unsuccessful lock attempt than I would be looking down and using both hands to try to make the lock work/be more painful by grinding a stick into some joint or pressure point.
    What Phil is holding is not a Kubotan, it is a Koppo stick, note the loop of cord for
    your fingers. The advatage of a Koppo over a Kubotan, is you don't worry about holding on to the stick, as the cord is slipped over your fingers. This does mean you can't do some of the fine motor skill techniques of the Kubotan, however hammerfist strikes are greatly improved, basic grabs are amplified, etc. More fun than a Kubotan.

Style
    Tao Ga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdnronin
    What Phil is holding is not a Kubotan, it is a Koppo stick, note the loop of cord for
    your fingers. The advatage of a Koppo over a Kubotan, is you don't worry about holding on to the stick, as the cord is slipped over your fingers. This does mean you can't do some of the fine motor skill techniques of the Kubotan, however hammerfist strikes are greatly improved, basic grabs are amplified, etc. More fun than a Kubotan.
    koppo stick from the rbsd bible by don rearic

Page 2 of 7 First 123456 ... Last