Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Genius

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 11:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For all intents and purposes jeet kune do went from being a style to a philosophy that same year, like water turning to steam.
    If that's the case, what are you bitching about and what is the BLF teaching?
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 9:31am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh me. What's the point? Philosophy is 'love of wisdom'. Wisdom like water takes shape as it is applied within predisposed boundaries. In other words how we see the world in many cases determines our physical actions. If someone "beleives" based on acquired knowledge that a certain course of action is correct then expect that individual to operate within the parameters of that base. To do so is called a "wise" decision. Follow me? If someone beleives that Jun Fan is the right course of action then it would be wise for the individual to act in a manner that fits within the limitations of said behavior. End result..we get a lot of Jun Fan clones. Follow the same logic for any other branch of JKD and before you know it we have all sorts of JKD types all claiming that their wisdon, their philosophy is the one true version. To prove their zeal for what they consider wise they take to attacking those that do not pledge allegiance with their way of life.. This is normal , as humans we follow this practice in all forms of life..even politics..let's not go there.
    What I have done is then normal. I have" questioned" the motives of a well known giver of the truth in JKD..er, uh, I am talking about Guro Dan, just to make shure we are on the same page. Those who claim the Guro as "giver of wisdom/philosophy" have fired back at me for attacking their hero. Except for the $2000 dues for instructors, (bad source of info on my part). My info was correct. Of course with limitations imposed by the giver of the truth ( I am talking about Guro again) you may feel the need to call me names which makes you feel strong like you just snuffed out a few terroist.
    As you mature in JKD you will discover like Guro Dan, that having no limitations means that you donot feel the need to get upset at typed words and yell at your computer as though it meant something. Don't allow a writer to use buzz words that cause you to say mean things.
    The mistake by the BLF is that they got out of the box too late in the game. They could learn from the Guro, he has much to offer. And a small no no to the Guro because he should have lost his ego enough to find a partnership with his Sifu's child. Money, power, position tempts us all. Perhaps we are most fortunate when we are simple low lifes that have the time to type long addresses on a forum and we are not bombarded by the real world decisions. JKD !

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 10:54am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MMA/JKDC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunnewbie
    Is there a difference between 'Jeet Kune Do' and 'trying different styles and training hard in the ones you think will work best' ?

Most people on bullshido seem to be into the latter, but a much smaller proportion call it 'Jeet Kune Do'. Is there something extra that the 'Jeet Kune Do' people are doing ? or is it a question of having some training in Jun Fan as a basis ?

In order to be doing JKD you have to fit a certain criteria. While JKD is not about structure..bla bla bla....there is certain things that sets JKD apart from taking a bunch of **** and calling it JKD.

1. Attacking with foreward pressure
    2. Intercepting the person on their attack
    3. All ranges
    4. Longest weapon to closest target
    5. Destructions
    6. The 5 ways of attack
    7. Ending the fight in clinch range
    8. Strong side foreward (Arguable however...I no longer fight like this, and alot of people are switching back to orthadox stance)

In one of the many, many JKD threads we have here I simply stated that JKD is "way of the intercepting fist" so I repeat......If your not intercepting attacks, following with foreward pressure, and ending the fight in the clinch....you are NOT doing JKD as taught by the Progressive fighting systems method.

I cant say anything about the "jun fan" system. Other then I think they are gay.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 11:06am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KICKBOX - You have a sad perception of what JKD is. Its not about all that philisophical crazy bullshit you read in the Tao of JKD. That was one mans thoughts on a budding martial art or method of fighting. Alot has changed since Lee's death no matter if you like it or not. He set the ball rolling, and other people have added things to it.

I know you get all wet when you watch "Dragon - The Bruce Lee story" (I hate that damn move, but thats another story) but JKD isnt practicing trapping routes and chi sao or energy drills. And if that IS what your looking for, you dont want JKD - you want to try to be Bruce Lee.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 11:38am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ranges, too. If you can't flow from range to range seamlessly, and TRAP properly, you aren't doing JKD in any form.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 11:47am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    Ranges, too. If you can't flow from range to range seamlessly, and TRAP properly, you aren't doing JKD in any form.
    Your right on point with the range flow, but Im not so sure about the traps. I know they were considered a important thing to do, but now it seems PFS has considered traps (actual trapping - not the range) low priority.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 11:56am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eh. Trapping is a range first, but you gotta know what you DO once you're there.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 12:06pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sam harber
    The art created by bruce lee was Jun Fan.

The philosophy he espoused was JKD.

Its very important not to get that confused.
    That's as concisely as it could be put.
    Great stuff.

Genius

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 1:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sam Harbers points are accurate. However, kickbox just doesn't seem to understand it.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 1:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    Eh. Trapping is a range first, but you gotta know what you DO once you're there.
    I think its easier to redirect and go for different lines of attack than it would be to try and trap the guy IMO. Once Im in clinch range and get the neck, Im just throwing rapid fire shots - the guy cant stop all of them!
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011 LastLast