Our Sponsors:

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 3:14pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/HapKiDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    McJKD is some guy who has a couple years of TKD, maybe a year of Karate of some kind, took a seminar in Judo once and has a really nice collection of Roy Harris video's. This guy then opens a school, and calls it JKD, claims to teach all ranges of combat and has posters of Bruce Lee everywhere. That's McJKD to me.
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 3:24pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I can see that.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 6:17pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would it still be McJKD if the guy could actually fight ?

I've never trained at a 'JKD' club, but I thought the whole point of the JKD philosophy was that one didn't need to devote oneself to a particular style, that you should train hard but mix and match according to what suited you, trying new stuff all the time. Wouldn't that imply that you could teach 'JKD' without having Bruce Lee anywhere in your training lineage ?

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 6:25pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JKD is just a way of training martial arts.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Genius

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 6:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would it still be McJKD if the guy could actually fight ?
    Yes, even the crappiest schools can acquire a talented fighter that makes their system look good.

As far as what "JKD" is, you're somewhat correct. It is a philosophy more than a system. However, I don't think it would be fair to mix TKD and BJJ and call yourself a JKD practitioner. Bruce Lee really should be somewhere in the lineage, simply because it does a person well to learn the reasons behind Lee's philosophy. Jun Fan Gung Fu is not JKD, but without Jun Fan Gung Fu, there is no JKD. It's my opinion that Jun Fan Gung Fu should be learned by anyone that is doing "JKD". However, their own interpration of JKD can end it's similarities with other JKD'ers at that point. JKD isn't a system or just a philsophy, it's incorporates the training as well.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 6:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there a difference between 'Jeet Kune Do' and 'trying different styles and training hard in the ones you think will work best' ?

Most people on bullshido seem to be into the latter, but a much smaller proportion call it 'Jeet Kune Do'. Is there something extra that the 'Jeet Kune Do' people are doing ? or is it a question of having some training in Jun Fan as a basis ?

Genius

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 6:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, Jun Fan Gung Fu is the difference, that and the training. Although, these days, the training of most MMA people is about the same.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 6:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, I see you beat me to it Ken. As I understand it, Jun Fan is basically the style Bruce Lee started developing when he mixed western boxing and fencing footwork with his Wing Chun and some of his own kicks, just before he rejected the idea of styles altogether ?

What's the best online resource you know of about the techniques and training methods of this original Lee style ?

Genius

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 6:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have never looked into learning about Jun Fan Gung Fu online. Sorry.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 10:17pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is no Jun Fan. There is only jeet kune do. From 1967 to 1971 jeet kune do was an art taught by Bruce Lee and practiced by his students. According to John Little Bruce closed his Chinatown school and disbanned the teaching of jeet kune do because he was afraid that his students would mistake the techniques and training for jeet kune do. For all intents and purposes jeet kune do went from being a style to a philosophy that same year, like water turning to steam. The person who made up all these new names for jeet kune do is responsible for this insane arguing. Like it or not it was Guro Dan that first led us astray when he decided that his version was the JKDconcept and that made Lee's original version er, uh, Jun Fan or whatever the Guro decided to call it at the time. And because of that little fib the Guro set the stage for PFS/JKD, SBG/JKD, OJKD,JKDC, Functional JKD...have I missed any? Oh yea, BLF/JKD and Jun Fan JKD. Really that's all I got to say.

PS. For those astute readers you'll see I edited on previous posts the monetary misinformation regarding the two grand per instructor deep throated to me by a California housewife and Dan Inosanto fan whose idea it was to ask the question.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast