Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Genius

Posted On:
    1/23/2005 8:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kickbox, you'll always be right in your own mind. However, the real world sees you as a fucking moron. Feel free to fix yourself an irish smile.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/23/2005 9:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbox
    Matt, You're an honest man so I am going to locate the Jay T Will file and get back to you. You may remember Mr. Will from magazines in the 1980's. He died about 1998 of cancer according to the info I use to have. Someone took over his sight and I may be able to locate it on Google.com.
    You might also want to try http://www.achive.org, its a site that archives the internet. If you can come up with the address we might be able to "resurrect" the page. Until we do, I have to take your comments as hearsea

Before JKD Bruce had a brief time in which he called his school the Jun Fan gung fu kwoon. It is common knowledge that Bruce wanted to be recognized as a master. There was no way that the former classmates under Yip Man would help him get that title in wing chun so he invented his own style and became the grand master. In his exellent book JKD: the philosophical martial art Dan Inosanto says that he and Bruce were driving around in a car and Bruce said jeet kune do was the name of his art. The year was 1967. That same story is repeated in the Dan Inosanto interview in the most exellent "In Search of the Ultimate Martial Art: The jeet kune do experience" by Dr. Jerry Beasley.. Dr. Beasley claims that Dan Inosanto was the perfect person to carry on Bruce Lee's work www.mawn.net ( look for JKD).
    I'm aware of Dr Beasly and his work

Moneywise I have been told that each of the 250 or more certified instructors are expected to pay $2000 per year in fees and attend or host a DI seminar. DI charges $3000 plus expenses for a two day weekend seminar. I caculated 45 seminars in one year. 250x $2000= $500,000. $3000x 45= $135,000 for a total of $635,000. I have been told that the fee for the Inosanto academy tuition is $150 per month ($1800x250= $450,000). That's over $1mil already but you have to add thousands from sales of the DI gear like t-shirt, sweat pants, videos etc. I say more power to him for makeing money.
    Hmm, so this is your rough calculation (which some people have called into question. At least the first part). But you still have yet to point us to the posting and report that you mentioned in your first post (pointing to the discussion board was no good because after a bunch of searching I couldn't find any reference to this):
    I am on another site where I have responded to a post regarding a possible Mc Dojo conspiracy for of all things JKD. I have noticed that any figure that tries to become too commercial is branded McDojo. Well I have learned that Dan Inosanto of JKD fame makes over $1000000. per year from his JKD operation. The report claims that he has over 250 instructors paying $2000 each year plus mega bucks from seminars and JKD gear.
    The reason I opened this thread was because it looked like if a dojo was makeing big bucks then they were branded McDojo.
    This represents a fundimental misunderstanding of McDojo/Bullshido. Being successful doesn't make one a McDojo.

Bad teaching + preditory marketing practices + poor quality of ranked students = bullshido

This site isn't about punishing success. Arguably it's about celebrating it.

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 1:05am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL there is drama in EVERY system. Its human nature.

Ummmm, O.K. bored with subject. I was right on every issue.
    No you were not. You have not supported any of your claims.

Moneywise I have been told that each of the 250 or more certified instructors are expected to pay $2000 per year in fees and attend or host a DI seminar. DI charges $3000 plus expenses for a two day weekend seminar. I caculated 45 seminars in one year. 250x $2000= $500,000. $3000x 45= $135,000 for a total of $635,000. I have been told that the fee for the Inosanto academy tuition is $150 per month ($1800x250= $450,000). That's over $1mil already but you have to add thousands from sales of the DI gear like t-shirt, sweat pants, videos etc. I say more power to him for makeing money.
    See here is a prime example. You were told!?!?!?! Thats not proof. Thats hearsay. I'm not a lawyer but there are several as members and we keep one on staff just in case (he's chained to his computer and forced to live out chinese delivery) I would probably agree that doesn't constitute proof. Proof would be black & white documents supporting your facts. If what you say it true then there has to be documentation to support it, money generally leaves a trail. So do a DEEPTHROAT and supply the proof.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Genius

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 11:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His claim about instructors having to pay $2000/year is bullshit. I was certified as an instructor, the only requirement is to get 30 hours of instruction from Dan Inosanto every year, be it a seminar, privates or whatever. I think it's a very reasonable requirement.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 11:52am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Frankly, I have no personal loyalties to Inosanto, am not certified as an instructor in any system and don't really give a **** about the lineage wars.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Genius

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 1:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was recommended to be certified, but 30 hours/year is tough for me to keep up with considering my job.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 2:10pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    O.K. This was certainly a useful discussion. What I have concluded is that the reported $2000 per year fee for instrustors is not true. My source, otherwise reliable was full of it and made me look stupid, there I said it...however... The $3000 seminar fee is apparently true as is the $150 per month academy fee. So the total appears more realisticaly like half a mil instead like a cool big one.
    Being new to the forum I assumed that big bucks = Mcanything...also not true according to Matt. Perhaps I was a little over zealous on my new found information.
    Now regarding the other issues...the Paula letter is intended to cast doubt on those mentioned....I hope I have set the record straight there. The BLF is a second voice in JKD..you have the right to pay respect to them..or not.
    JT Will is deceased so strike that comment as temporarily un verifiable. I have been called a Bruce fanatic...also not true.
    I guess that's about it.
    No bullshido here nothing to call McJKD
    My appoligies to those who found offense, no appology required for mee..even though I was called a femal dog on several occassions.

Can you define McJKD....yes apparently you can.. and we all have to make our own decision.

Genius

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 2:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you really have Bruce Lee underoos?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 2:59pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thaiboxerkin,
    I thought Oregon was a blue state?

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    1/24/2005 3:11pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Charging $3000 for a seminar is McDojo. Teaching people at that seminar that they can kill pigeons by force of will is Bullshido. These things are universal in martial arts, JKD is not immune, but also not special.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast