All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    1/23/2005 1:39am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbox
    Nice responses. I think I have proven that Inosanto is just one side of JKD. All of Bruce Lee's students are on the side of the BLF except Dan Inosanto. Nobody bothered to defend the unplesantly plump Paula whose Tammy Fay makeup and red neck bleach job pretty much says it all for her. I agree that the permanently PMS Paula is the hatchet man for Guro Dan. My point is don't go saying this is the right group and that is the wrong group. And don't go pulling out a 12 year old bitching session written by a jealous housewife and try to claim it has any value. Both sides have something to offer. To quote Bruce Lee quoting a zen teacher "be not for or against".
    I've read a lot of articles by lamar davis over the years, and he seemed to have an interpretation of combat that diverged from what I'd learned firsthand...NTTAWWT, I guess, if it works for him, it works for him.

The tone of Paula Inosanto didn't seem bitchy or irrational, and at it appears at least a few of the things she presented are facts, but it is certainly only her side of the story. Her appearance shouldn't have much to do with her mindset. If looks are that important to you, how can you trust Lamar Davis? He's not exactly a pardigm of proper masculine dress, speach, or physique...
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    1/23/2005 2:17am

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice responses. I think I have proven that Inosanto is just one side of JKD......To quote Bruce Lee quoting a zen teacher "be not for or against".

**** off.

This is what I, Thaiboxerken and pretty much everyone else here has been trying to hammer into your skull for the last month, after you called everything else that's NOT your idea of JKD a fraud.

Quit trying to take the fucking moral highground, bitch.
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2005 4:40am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    **** off.

This is what I, Thaiboxerken and pretty much everyone else here has been trying to hammer into your skull for the last month, after you called everything else that's NOT your idea of JKD a fraud.

Quit trying to take the fucking moral highground, bitch.
    Do we have to listen to these semi-intelligence insults? Earlier in this forum someone commented on the viability of Inosanto's competitors in the JKD industry. Just to let you know, there are many a martial arts practitioner out there who don't even consider JKD to be a style, much less a martial art. If you'll notice, if every instructor adds something different, it's more of a way than an actual art.

The Paula Inosanto letter from 1993 discrediting all non-Inosanto affiiliated martial artists should be perceived as nothing more than just an angry rant, just as anyone does when feeling threatened or frustrated. Inosanto is NOT the end-all of JKD or Jun Fan. There are many qualified non-Inosanto practitioners who have the skill and ability, just as Kickbox mentioned. Check out the Wed Night Guys some time; though they are pretty good, they will do things that you won't see Inosanto guys do at times. And, despite the contrast to Inosanto's aversion to fighting, these guys will get out the gloves and start duking it out in a class halfway through. Oh my gosh, I went to one of their sessions and after doing a bunch of JKD/Jun Fan drills, we put on the gloves and had four guys attack one guy at the same time. This was no wimpy point-sparring, either. They were all trying to knock his head off at the same time. Oh man, at one point in a 1-on-1 match, the other guy got hit and started getting dizzy, then he regained his sense s and went again and got hit just like that again and had to quit. This is just a typical day for these guys.

JohnnyCache
    Lightweight

JohnnyCache is Online:
    Style: Matching shoes & shirt.

From what I've read of Bruce Lee, he had a big ego (perhaps deservedly - he certainly had cleaner technique then me :), and setting arbitrary limits on how big someone's class could be or what size of school they could have, that sounds like him.

On this note, the ego of Bruce Lee is very true. I talked to a few who knew him growing up in Hong Kong. I even talked to this guy who said he had to kick Bruce out of his kung fu class because Bruce was too hot-headed. He told me Bruce was his friend, but the guy's ego got the best of him at times. Bruce was known for trying to look the best and be the best at what he did, which carried on into why he probably got into fights and felt that he had to keep control of things. A wounded ego for a personality so big is like getting maimed for these types of people. Bruce was just too hot-headed to have the proper discipline for formal martial arts classes, which is probably why he ventured on his own.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    1/23/2005 5:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh man, at one point in a 1-on-1 match, the other guy got hit and started getting dizzy, then he regained his sense s and went again and got hit just like that again and had to quit. This is just a typical day for these guys.
    If that sounds like a tough day, come to my gym. Actually, come to just about anyone's gym here.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2005 9:51am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JohnnyChache,
    I am going to respond to you because you seem more interested in fact than others. I have seen Paula and she's a chunker, but I don'r care what she looks like. The tone of Paula Inosanto's letter was set by the fact that she felt threatned by Jerry Poteet for landing the "Dragon" Story of Bruce Lee movie: Dr.Beasley for promoting the first "Original JKD Camp" with Ted Wong /Taky Kimura: Lamar Davis and Gary Dill for agreeing that Bruce Lee's JKD was different from the JKD Concept taught by Dan Inosanto in a 1993 article for Inside Karate magazine called "The return of original JKD". The letter was to tell the editor of IK that she was mad at them for prenting a different side. Now some act like she just wrote it.
    What is total 100% BULLSHITO is first Michael Krivka the taichifeely pervert for conviently deleting the year "1993" from the Pissedoff Paula letter on his web site and for idiots like, well you know, for pointing to Paula as fact. Every time someone mentions Jerry Poteet ( www.JerryPoteet.com) or Lamar Davis pufffff the 1993 Paula letter appears. That my friends is Bullshido. Somebody has to tell the other side, just to keep it honest.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    1/23/2005 10:20am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I'd say that's only true if the letter is chock full of lies. What in the letter do you maintain isn't true?

(Keep in mind, I give not a **** about JKD politics - I'm just trying to work through this methodically)

I do have a lot more respect for some of the others you mention then Lamar Davis...for some reason, I just don't buy his writing as much - probably because of the stances in the photos I remember . . . (I think I might actually have that selfsame inside kung-fu issue someplace)
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/23/2005 11:45am

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jerry Poteet may be the most skilled JKD instructor of all time. Paula lies about him because he had just landed the "Dragon" movie gig with Jason Scott Lee. Everyone in JKD wanted to train Jason but the producers searched out the best and went with Jerry Poteet. Watch Jerry's first set of JKD videos and you will see the real JKD performed by a fighter. Jerry was a black belt under Ed Parker and was Dan's equal not his student in JKD. True Jerry did not attend Dan's classes because he was busy along with Dr.Daniel Lee and Ted Wong personally training with Bruce Lee. You can see how persnickity Paula bends the truth to make it seem like she is being honest but she really is trying to discredit Jerry Poteet. She does the same tactic with Dr.Jerry Beasley by claiming he is not certified to teach. She leaves out the part about about the fact that the Dr. never owned a JKD school and never claimed to be teaching JKD. . Dr.Beasley who earned the 8th dan under no less than Joe Lewis and the 9th Dan under one of Bruce Lee's teachers by the name of Prof. Wall Jay, was the best JKD writer and JKD camp promoter in the 1990's. He did train with Dan Inosanto and if you go to his website at www.aikia.net you can view the certificates personally signed by Dan Inosanto. Lamar Davis has certifications from five or six of Bruce's students and is in fantastic shape. Gary Dill trained personally with James Lee, how long? Who knows. Cheif Dill was a police officer for 20 years and put his life on the line daily. He deserves better than loony Paula's bitch letter.
    Blah, blah, blah. Do you even read the forum that you submit to? All of these guys question each other. Dr Beasley has issues with Lamar Davis. It seems like most people have broad issues with Dill's certification and while it's great that he has served his time as a police chief, that has absolutely nothig to do with JKD certification. Oy, and don't bring Joe Lewis into this either. It's not like JKD was some big happy family and then evil Guro Dan broke it up. See... I did this amazing thing called "reading", try it some time instead of "trolling."

Nobody bothered to defend the unplesantly plump Paula whose Tammy Fay makeup and red neck bleach job pretty much says it all for her. I agree that the permanently PMS Paula is the hatchet man for Guro Dan.
    WTF... you're not even a good troll... five posts ago you were commenting about Paula having to sue for rights over the JKD name. Ten posts before that you announced you were a "Dan Fan". And why then is Paula heading the JKDF? Your friggin' arguement makes no sense.

My point is don't go saying this is the right group and that is the wrong group.
    And when were people doing that here?

BTW... for the record, I'm not a JDK student. From my limited understanding of it, I tend to ideologically align with the Concepts camp. However, I've worked with people outside of it and have no issues with most of them... though I do seem to be developing one with you.

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/23/2005 11:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW, I should also mention that on the forum that you pointed to Poteet isn't treated too well by most of the online community on the board you pointed me to as well. I had honestly never heard about him before I went there and he seems to get a pretty mixed reaction as well.

- Matt
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/23/2005 11:51am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW, Why is there this stange notion that somehow someone can support one interpretation of JKD and NOT be able to respect practitioners from other branches?

- Matt
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Genius

Posted On:
    1/23/2005 12:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The BLF/ Nucleus people think that their "interpretation' of JKD is the only true one.

The Inosanto group consists of people that respect the different interpretations and encourage it. JKD concepts is about evolving the art and keeping it dynamic. We learn what the Nucleus guys do, and much more. In essense, we learn Jun Fan and more, while the BLF guys just learn Jun Fan.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast