Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 10:21am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbox
    And here is what I find upsetting. How can you say you follow the art created by Bruce Lee and say such terrible things about Bruce Lee's daughter and wife ( while he was alive). Those that have met Linda Lee or Shannon Lee have said wonderful things about them. I have heard very bad things about the "bubble headed bleach blonde" called Paula Inosanto. Like I said there is an obvious bias in favor of the Inosantos
    This .pdf eBook is one of the most interesting perspectives on Bruce Lee that I have read in a long while. It is more of the personal side stories that Linda/Shannon Lee have vehemently opposed getting out there, for quite obvious reasons if you read the book.

I give it 5 stars.

http://www.karateconnection.com/UNSETTLEDMATTERS.pdf

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 10:33am

Style: VT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chingythingy
    This .pdf eBook is one of the most interesting perspectives on Bruce Lee that I have read in a long while. It is more of the personal side stories that Linda/Shannon Lee have vehemently opposed getting out there, for quite obvious reasons if you read the book.

I give it 5 stars.

http://www.karateconnection.com/UNSETTLEDMATTERS.pdf
    Cheers, Looks good!

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 10:39am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hasbulelias
    So JKD is MMA with a Jun Fan core, and Jun Fan is important, because without it, you can't get any closer to the spirit of Bruce ? I'm confused. I have a JKD instructor and personally i dont think the Jun Fan system is that important although important to have a basis in it. While training I havent yet completed all of the Jun Fan curriculum but learnt some Brazilian Jujitsu techniques and would really use them in a fight even though I havent been officially certified in that field.

As to the spirit of Bruce Lee, if we think that learning a set of techniques makes us closer to a philosophy that wasnt even Bruce Lee's, but just some very good common sense coming through a person like Bruce, then we are ending up in a classical mess. Receiving an all round training in JKD is really great, something that I wouldnt get from the classical martial arts like karate or wing shun or tkd. With sufficient training in any art anyone could make it effective, but training in JKD, learning the most cutting edge techniques in all ranges of combat from kixking to boxing to grappling is an amazing privelege. Im glad that my instructor isnt a one trick pony, he's knowledge of martial arts is always expanding, he takes it upon himself to be qualified in all the ranges, he has qualifications in jun fan, muay thai, kali stickfighting and is getting close to Brazilian Jujitsu, he's an encyclopedia and he gives his students his best, but its so important to realise that this martial art thing is not something solely learnt from the expertise of our "masters". It requires one's own thinking, one's own methods to make sure that when one is in a fight, we have learnt enough from our classes but also our own mental and physical deficiencies to protect ourselves.

After hours of training Ive learnt so many techniques, but ask me to call upon those in a dangerous situation I know that I would prefer using some over others because thats just how I would fight. This is the great thing about JKD, its not afraid to expand its reaches. And this is why I have over the years diverted away from the classical martial arts, they are by nature classical, they rely on old knowledge which JKD has already incorporated but now seeks to expand. Ive seen many wing chun students come in to some of our classes n walk out because they didnt like the idea of grappling. Fair enough, im sure they can defend themselves just as well without grappling, but to me its like saying you dont want to learn, and all I can do when I see them walk out is feel sorry for them. They're martial expression is stunted by a whole RANGE of combat, they wont grapple, its a bloody shame!

ANd I can feel that the more that this JKD becomes bigger and its database of experimentation with different arts and its continual innovation, the mroe freedom the martial artist will get in expressing his body in times of danger. And this is the difference between JKD and anything classical, and to solely learn Jun fan which I feel the BLF try to promote is a huge danger to martial artists. Its like saying you want to be blind. And its the same with classical arts.

The subject to be taught is the neural muscular coordination system, the curriculum is any and every way that the human body can move. If one's curriculum is solely a classical one, then your graduation will be in a more closed subject than another who has decided to open up his mind and to not even just stick to one's JKD instructor's arts, but to even learn other arts that one's instructor doesn't teach. **** this worship my one and only master ****, forget this there can only be one super style. Like Bruce would have said, and any one with some common sense, in a fight its just one man against another, its the man thats more important than the system. This I feel is how we get closer to the spirit of Bruce Lee, to a more effective and liberating form of defense.
    Just in case he is a one post wonder. Dear lord it is a manifesto but, whatever.

Thanks for the E book chingy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 1:58pm

Style: Almost Everything.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh man. I got two pages in before I realized there was no way I was going to pull kickbox's head out of his ass. It's really up there far. "

I've been doing JKD since I was a little kid. In my opinion anyone who claims "that isn't JKD" is giving the worst insult to Bruce Lee possible. Most of these Bruce Lee brown-nosers have never read his books, and really believe that there is a set curriculum for JKD. Nothing could be further from the truth. Bruce Lee wanted JKD to evolve , one way or another. Him and Dan recognized that it wasn't Bruce that was important, it was his ideas. After all, Jun Fan Kung Fu, and later, JFJKD started out as just altered versions of Wing Chun. Any person doing JFJKD who thinks they know the "real JKD" is just deluding themselves. It's Wing Chun with some odds and ends here or there. It isn't anywhere near as effective as mixing together everything you can possibly learn.
    Don't believe me? Let's spar then!
    JKD is not a system/art/style. It is a way of thinking about and training martial arts. I could show you how to do techniques from savate, thai boxing, western boxing, judo, silat, sambo, FMA, aikido, kendo, aido, etc. Plus I can fight with all manner of weapons, including spears, axes, knives, guns, jackets, hats, wallets, cans of coke, whatever. Am I an expert at any of these things? Not really, but I am a much more well rounded fighter having been taught all of these things without the prejudice of "this is better that is better". This is probably the most self-defeating attitude in martial arts. All the faith in the world won't make your martial art the best one. The idea that learning from other people is useless because "they don't know anything valuable" is just silly. I mean, if you care about defending yourself you want to know how to do whatever is needed. Not a set curriculum that you and your friends agree is "teh bestorz".
    The whole idea of JKD was to "take what is useful, discard what is useless, add what is uniquely your own."
    Some people really missed the boat. I feel bad for them.

I think that's why I like this board. The whole idea of exposing Martial art scam artists seems very JKD to me. Plus getting people in different parts of the martial arts community to get together and discuss things is essential, because so many people would be perfectly happy to sit in their dojo and trash talk everyone else without ever being exposed to the other skills that exist out there.
    Kudos to all the people in this thread that have the right idea with JKD. I was pleasantly surprised, after reading what the over-the-top asshat who started it had to say.
    Last edited by Heffy; 7/23/2007 2:01pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 11:40pm

Style: Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This nonsense was exactly the straw that broke the camel's back in regard to my JKD training.

The rise of the JKD Nucleus with their total disresepect towards Guru Dan left such a bad taste in my mouth that wanted nothing more to do with it. Fwiw I was a student of Sifu Hartsell but held Guru Dan in the highest regards.

It is sad that this sort of thing is still going on so many years later...
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011